Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-05-2013, 06:08 AM   #46
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
After reading the article, I am now more disenchanted with Pentax than I was before.

Using Facebook as your only attempt of outreach? Pfftt - I guess their goal is to market toward the masses of sheep.
Superiority complex much?

QuoteQuote:
The next phase, he says, is to "find people who have abandoned the brand" and figure out why that happened.

How is Facebook going to help you here? Does he think that people who have jumped ship are going to follow his Facebook page?
He didn't specify that that would be done via Facebook, and indeed I don't see how it could be done that way. The wording certainly wasn't 100% clear, though.

04-05-2013, 06:20 AM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote

He didn't specify that that would be done via Facebook, and indeed I don't see how it could be done that way. The wording certainly wasn't 100% clear, though.
I agree with Stan about FaceBook - won't use it and I know lots of other professionals who avoid that place like the plague. Superior? Hmmm, perhaps its more an issue of awareness of the dangers.

No, he did not say it would be through FaceBook for finding lost Pentaxians. It will be interesting to see how he seeks those folks out to discuss the issues with them.
04-05-2013, 06:33 AM   #48
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
I agree with Stan about FaceBook - won't use it and I know lots of other professionals who avoid that place like the plague. Superior? Hmmm, perhaps its more an issue of awareness of the dangers.

No, he did not say it would be through FaceBook for finding lost Pentaxians. It will be interesting to see how he seeks those folks out to discuss the issues with them.
Asserting that the one billion people who use Facebook are "sheep" is most definitely expressing a sense of superiority.
04-05-2013, 06:44 AM   #49
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Speaking with Q Users

I believe what he meant is that none of the Facebook respondents stated they have a Q. Therefore his staff could not arrange a conversation specifically and intentionally with a Q User.

I have it on good authority that Mr. Malcolm will now have an opportunity to contact and speak with several Power Q Users as soon as he or his staff wishes to respond to emails.

04-05-2013, 06:52 AM   #50
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I believe what he meant is that none of the Facebook respondents stated they have a Q. Therefore his staff could not arrange a conversation specifically and intentionally with a Q User.

I have it on good authority that Mr. Malcolm will now have an opportunity to contact and speak with several Power Q Users as soon as he or his staff wishes to respond to emails.
Yep, that's exactly what he was saying.
04-05-2013, 08:05 AM   #51
Pentaxian

But we were rude.
Indeed. The response was completely disproportionate to the mistake made, and quickly it was made clear how unwelcome he was. It was the most destructive kind of criticism one could use, a form of virtual lynching.
I hope Mr. Malcolm has an entire team double and triple-checking his every word; otherwise bad things will happen. Wait, it already begun:
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Are this man professional? Pentax USA traded bad for worse....IMO
Hopefully, it won't degenerate; but with our ability to complain about anything real or imaginary...
04-05-2013, 08:23 AM   #52
Veteran Member

What else would you expect from ogl, though?

04-05-2013, 08:56 AM   #53
ogl
Banned

Mr. Malcolm is Mr. Ned Bunnell number 2. In the best case. IMO. The another lover of demagogy.

Good man is not profession.

Happily, I don't care about Pentax USA.

But Mr. Malcolm says that Pentaxians don't need FF camera...It seems to me that such opinion could has the influence on Pentax Ricoh Japan's decisions in the near future.

Such statement is aboslutely wrong and it says about unprofessional work of Mr. Malcolm between Pentaxian.

Last edited by ogl; 04-06-2013 at 12:46 AM.
04-05-2013, 10:21 AM   #54
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Mr. Malcolm is Mr. Ned Bunnell number 2. In the best case. IMO. The another lover of demagogy.

Good man is not profession.
And you know this because of all the time you spent interacting with him professionally on the Sony Forums, right?
04-05-2013, 10:47 AM   #55
Veteran Member

And you know this because of all the time you spent interacting with him professionally on the Sony Forums, right?
I guess that's just a slight dose of Russian pessimism, the, err, frame will always be half full until Pentax finally releases full frame .

The US is doing a lot better in terms of Pentax than many other countries since the changeover I'd say.
04-05-2013, 10:19 PM   #56
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I say give the man a chance. He seems serious about developing a strategy for Pentax in the US.

The reddot site on Q idea, came from snostorm. I merely used a Pentax model. Pentax needs to advertise this setup in every birding magazine. There are now 4 Q users in our camera club of 40-50 people. All use adapted lenses for wildlife.
thanks
barondla
04-06-2013, 12:47 AM   #57
ogl
Banned

Mr. Malcolm says that Pentaxians don't need FF camera...It seems to me that such opinion could has the influence on Pentax Ricoh Japan's decisions in the near future.

Such statement is aboslutely wrong and it says about unprofessional work of Mr. Malcolm between Pentaxian.
04-06-2013, 12:58 AM   #58
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Mr. Malcolm says that Pentaxians don't need FF camera...It seems to me that such opinion could has the influence on Pentax Ricoh Japan's decisions in the near future.

Read it again, Mr Malcolm says that the Pentaxians he has talked to on the phone don't crave a FF camera themselves. It's a completely different thing from saying "Mr. Malcolm says that Pentaxians don't need FF camera". I guess that kind of reading into things that he didn't even say is just searching for an excuse to switch brand.
04-06-2013, 01:48 AM   #59
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
I do not think Stan wanted to say that. There are many reasons photographers avoid using Facebook, especally because of their grey area policies on photography posted on Facebook. I personally don't like FB much.

I myself use the Q and three Q lenses far more than a K camera and 8 Kmount lenses, I have taken thousands of images with Q, and don't post much on the Facebook, just very unimportant stuff.Also, I do not use Q more because I like Q more, but because I know exactly what my Kmount APSC camera can do, but still do not know what Q can do in its full versatility.

Likewise, if I was given a Pentax FF, I would embrace and use Pentax FF more than my Kmount APSC camera, or the Q, because I know exactly what my APSC can do, I also know much more what my Q can do, but do not know the same for the FF. We Pentax users use what we are given, and our choices with Pentax are limited; Q is there, so we try. 645D is totally out of reach. FF in not there, so we yearn. FF is given by Canon and Nikon, we go, try, get mesmerized by image quality, and we leave Pentax .. because Pentax doesn't have an FF. Or we keep it for sentimental reasons, hoping that one day ...

So if Mr Jim Malcolm wishes to contact more active photography oriented users, learn what Q powerusers, Kmount powerusers and users that have abandoned Pentax really want — and not hear what only occasional snappers and happy cheerleaders on Facebook say — he must reach OUTSIDE the Facebook.

The first stop is Pentax Forums. Seriously. What non Pentaxians and Pentax Inc employees may not understand is that Pentax Forums is not a hostile site full of fanatics, but it is a very understanding and much more family like place full of very passionate people who know a great deal about photography and Pentax products — more than all Pentax USA employees together with quite a few from Japan.

As a family fair, we know all too well what is wrong, and what can be improved on our turf, and if there is a passionate remark about something or someone, it does not mean we hate something or somebody.

Last edited by Uluru; 04-06-2013 at 02:09 AM.
04-06-2013, 02:19 AM   #60
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
Read it again, Mr Malcolm says that the Pentaxians he has talked to on the phone don't crave a FF camera themselves. It's a completely different thing from saying "Mr. Malcolm says that Pentaxians don't need FF camera". I guess that kind of reading into things that he didn't even say is just searching for an excuse to switch brand.
Yes, but Malcom publicly stating it makes it his own, ie "my customers are telling me they don't want me to sell chocolate cake". So what's he saying there? That he wants to start selling chocolate cake? Or that he agrees with his customers?

Anyway, all this endless discussion aside, how frigging hard is it to actually make a full frame DSLR? Harder than making a K-30? The official reason they gave for binning the original full frame project was the prohibitive cost of the components. That doesn't apply any more, especially the sensor, so what's been so hard about it that's stopping them lately? Just make one and if it sells it sells, if it doesn't it doesn't. They probably already lost more doing that with the K-01 than they woud have with a FF DSLR.

Edit - and they've probably already lost more overall by *not* making a FF DSLR, than they would by just making one that sold like a lemon.

Last edited by anthony mazzeri; 04-06-2013 at 02:25 AM.