Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-06-2013, 02:22 AM   #61
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
Asserting that the one billion people who use Facebook are "sheep" is most definitely expressing a sense of superiority.
And yet apparently not a single one of these billion Facebook users owns a Q...

04-06-2013, 02:27 AM - 1 Like   #62
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by anthony mazzeri Quote
. They probably already lost more doing that with the K-01 than they woud have with a FF DSLR.
Yes, I think that is the case.
However, we should not pay too much attention to words of Jim Malcolm re FF; because three senior managers from the Pentax Ricoh Imaging in Japan already stated the work on FF solutions (plural) is progressing quite well.
History shows that aligning with Pentax USA statements makes things worse for the Pentax community. But they are not relevant source of information re global strategy of the brand. Let's for change focus more on the Japanese part of the company.
04-06-2013, 04:02 AM   #63
Pentaxian

Jim Malcolm never said they're not working on a FF; he's not contradicting in any way Kitazawa-san.
04-06-2013, 06:55 AM   #64
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

James Malcolm spoke with a number of Qsers Tuesday, April 30. Here is a recap of our conversation Q Users Group had a Conference Call with James Malcolm

Last edited by monochrome; 05-05-2013 at 08:25 PM.
04-06-2013, 07:03 AM   #65
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Mr. Malcolm says that Pentaxians don't need FF camera...It seems to me that such opinion could has the influence on Pentax Ricoh Japan's decisions in the near future.

Such statement is aboslutely wrong and it says about unprofessional work of Mr. Malcolm between Pentaxian.
Someone who wrote an article from an interview he had with James Malcolm wrote that James Malcolm said something. The article isn't a transcript. It is writing, from notes, presumably.

Wouldn't be the first time a writer's words misconstrued the statement of the interviewee.

I know the passage was in quotes. Just 'sayin it is possible that he was misquoted or misunderstood or this part is a snippet of a longer paragraph..
04-06-2013, 07:32 AM   #66
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
What is wrong with that statement when it's absolutely true?
It is a big mistake, AFAIC, to not represent a large proportion of your loyal customer base.

Even if it were true that in the statistically completely insignificant sample of Pentaxians he spoke to the majority wasn't keen on FF, that is absolutely no reason for him to publicly state that the majority of Pentaxians are happy with Pentax as it is. There are so many other pieces of information (polls, petitions, etc.) to the contrary.

He basically told all Pentaxians hoping for an FF that Pentax USA does not hear them.
What a mistake. He is further weakening the thin thread by which many Pentaxians with deep pockets are attached to the brand. Does Pentax USA really think they don't need Pentaxians waiting for FF?

QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
After reading the article, I am now more disenchanted with Pentax than I was before.
I'm disappointed as well, but bear in mind that we are talking about Pentax USA.

Hopefully, the real Pentax is a completely different matter.

P.S.: Maybe Jim Malcolm didn't think much about his summary of the user feedback during the interview and regrets it now that he sees how it can be interpreted. Maybe there is still hope for Pentax USA.
04-06-2013, 07:39 AM   #67
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by anthony mazzeri Quote
And yet apparently not a single one of these billion Facebook users owns a Q...
Correction: Not a single one of those billion Facebook users who owns a Q stumbled across the posting from December on the Pentax Facebook page, sent an email to Mr. Malcolm asking to be interviewed, and specifically called themselves out as a Q poweruser.

04-06-2013, 07:39 AM   #68
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
I'm disappointed as well, but bear in mind that we are talking about Pentax USA.

Hopefully, the real Pentax is a completely different matter.

P.S.: Maybe Jim Malcolm didn't think much about his summary of the user feedback during the interview and regrets it now that he sees how it can be interpreted. Maybe there is still hope for Pentax USA.
Well looking at this objectively, at least someone from Pentax has come out of the woods and did an interview that was published. Better than the deafening silence for the past 6 months.
04-06-2013, 07:45 AM   #69
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
Yes, I think that is the case.
However, we should not pay too much attention to words of Jim Malcolm re FF; because three senior managers from the Pentax Ricoh Imaging in Japan already stated the work on FF solutions (plural) is progressing quite well.
History shows that aligning with Pentax USA statements makes things worse for the Pentax community. But they are not relevant source of information re global strategy of the brand. Let's for change focus more on the Japanese part of the company.
That statement that Pentax users don't want or need a full frame camera on it's own isn't what bothers me the most it's the follow up that" this is kind of consistent with a lot of the research that we’ve done internally and it’s a little bit rewarding..."

So Pentax's own research is in line with the view that an FF camera is not needed or at least net a priority. Even assuming that it's just Pentax Americas research, that being fed back to headquarters can effect the outcome of any decision to launch such a camera into the marketplace.
04-06-2013, 09:03 AM   #70
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
Correction: Not a single one of those billion Facebook users who owns a Q stumbled across the posting from December on the Pentax Facebook page, sent an email to Mr. Malcolm asking to be interviewed, and specifically called themselves out as a Q poweruser.
We have now.
04-06-2013, 09:13 AM   #71
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by areidjr Quote
That statement that Pentax users don't want or need a full frame camera on it's own isn't what bothers me the most it's the follow up that" this is kind of consistent with a lot of the research that we’ve done internally and it’s a little bit rewarding..."

So Pentax's own research is in line with the view that an FF camera is not needed or at least net a priority. Even assuming that it's just Pentax Americas research, that being fed back to headquarters can effect the outcome of any decision to launch such a camera into the marketplace.
+100...
How can this statement be interpreted as anything but "don't hold your breath waiting for FF"?
Let's hope he has no pull with the real power brokers of PRIC
04-06-2013, 03:22 PM   #72
Banned

As Monochrome said in some earlier post, Pentax USA has efficiently alienated itself from its own market since 1990s, and there are not many people in the streets who have any idea Pentax can make an FF camera, that once upon a time Pentax was a giant of the imaging industry, etc.

People build a picture of expectations on what they see now before them; if I show them some APS-C cameras and a few Qs, why on Earth would they even presume I need to give them an FF offer? They will want better APS-C, better Q. Faster, more responsive, weather protected, etc.

This is the Henry Ford / Steve Jobs paradigm, which describes that people at their present state of mind and amount of knowledge cannot imagine something excitingly new, but only extend on previous. As Ford said, you can't ask them what they want — because they will want just a faster horse, not a car.

You truly need to SUPRPRISE them.

From that perspective, any inquiry Malcolm did in his current market, if it is formulated around "what do you want now?" is simply dangerous for the prospect of any modern marketing company that must INNOVATE and draw attention to itself to stay in the game. Many people may try to imagine an FF in terms of Canon and Nikon flagships, and clearly say "no". So the original presumption remains — the idea about the digital FF is based on preconceived FF offers; people think inside those parameters (price, size, bulk) and imagine same offer from Pentax, with a Pentax logo on top of the pentaprism. That is how far everyday imagination goes.

That FF game is totally changing is confirmed by Sony with their recent RX-1, and anyone who says that Pentax does not need an FF practically seals the fate of the brand. Pentax must actively join in the highly innovative circle that breaches the preconceived limits and ideas, and drives the imaging industry forward.

Last edited by Uluru; 04-06-2013 at 04:04 PM.
04-06-2013, 03:55 PM   #73
Pentaxian

Add to this that someone draws any conclusions from talking to a statistically absolutely insignificant sample size.
Embarrassing.
04-06-2013, 04:00 PM - 2 Likes   #74
Veteran Member

Pentax doesn't need to get into autofocus, that is just a gimmick...uuuh I mean pentax does not need to jump into digital, the market is not right, it is too risky...uuuh wait what decade is it... oh full frame, yes full frame. There have been a lot of full frame dslrs released and iterated but still it is too soon, let's wait a few years.

Past is prologue...pentax is comfy with being late to the party.
04-06-2013, 05:11 PM   #75
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Add to this that someone draws any conclusions from talking to a statistically absolutely insignificant sample size.
Embarrassing.
Give me a break. We specifically asked the guy what kind of feedback he had gotten, and he told us. That's all.