Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-04-2013, 05:27 PM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax Exec VP says he's never spoken to Q user!!

In the interview just published on "Digital Camera Info" Jim Malcolm, Pentax's Exec. VP for the US said:

"So unfortunately I have not had the opportunity to talk with anybody in our most exciting category, which is the Q. I have not actually found an end user that has reached out or I’ve been able to reach out to that is a heavy Q user or solely a Q user. And the reason I go to the Q when you start talking about mirrorless and glass and all these types of things is that the Q as a segment is such a great opportunity."

He goes on to say:
"So if you find any really heavy users of Q going on, I’d love to talk to them."

Let's change that and give him some input about the Q!

An Interview with Pentax Executive Vice President Jim Malcolm - DigitalCameraInfo.com

04-04-2013, 05:31 PM   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
In the interview just published on "Digital Camera Info" Jim Malcolm, Pentax's Exec. VP for the US said:

"So unfortunately I have not had the opportunity to talk with anybody in our most exciting category, which is the Q."

Let's change that!
ask.pentax@prac.pentax.com

Give them your phone # and describe what you do with the Q. Maybe he'll schedule the 10-15 minute chat they mentioned on Facebook last year? Then he can't say we didn't try to find HIM!
04-04-2013, 05:36 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
ask.pentax@prac.pentax.com

Give them your phone # and describe what you do with the Q. Maybe he'll schedule the 10-15 minute chat they mentioned on Facebook last year? Then he can't say we didn't try to find HIM!
I would but I am not one of the WildMen with the Q that has tricked it out and uses the adapter for every lens in the world Seriously there are several here who know that camera inside and out and have tried so many things with it that they would do a far better job of presenting things.
04-04-2013, 05:40 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
In a way I wish you didn't post that, um, news.
Perhaps Mr. Malcolm needs to learn about a utility service called the Internet.

M

04-04-2013, 05:43 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Miguel Quote
In a way I wish you didn't post that, um, news.
Perhaps Mr. Malcolm needs to learn about a utility service called the Internet.

M
M,

In his defense he did solicit input through FaceBook. I will not use FB but many do and his use of the internet to get folks to talk to him is a strong point IMHO. I would have preferred that he came here in the open and talked to us, but alas there are those at Pentax HQ in Denver who think we're all barbarians here and who probably "warned" him about us.
04-04-2013, 06:00 PM   #6
Veteran Member

A Swedish Qser maybe? I bet that is a completely new category!
Maybe somebody like Crewe1 (or somebody else, too many to mention) that pushes the Q too its limits? Or somebody from the street section?
It would be fun to speak with him but I'm bad at speaking on the phone so guess I'm out.
04-04-2013, 06:02 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Pentaxians he talked to say they don't need a FF... LOL.. nobody needs any camera.. but that doesn't mean they don't want it!

04-04-2013, 06:06 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I can see why he goes with the phone approach. It's easier to get deep conversations and the truth is that people in most cases will be more constructive and less prone to just low bro flaming. But who knows how much he checks this forum? Heie led him to the exclusive gallery here at least.
04-04-2013, 06:09 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tesla Quote
Pentaxians he talked to say they don't need a FF... LOL.. nobody needs any camera.. but that doesn't mean they don't want it!
Well, I know that Heie said that he wasn't looking for one and probably most users won't. What is wrong with that statement when it's absolutely true?
04-04-2013, 06:12 PM   #10

Even if he didn't want to join the forum. Why didn't he just search and see what users here are doing. Don't own one myself but hoping someone gets in touch with him. If I get some spare cash the Q (or Q10) will be my next camera purchase hopefully.
04-04-2013, 06:16 PM   #11
Veteran Member

This can only be a sign that they're going to make an FF-sized camera with the Q-sensor, and change every lens to Q-mount.
Pentax is doomed.

Did I get the current forum craze right?

Well, I sure hope the guy gets to talk to a Q-user .
04-04-2013, 06:17 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If he is so enthused about "talking with" Q users , why in the H*** doesn't he show up his "face" here?

I don't know if anybody has sent him our forum link?

To me, this is all small talk.
Hopefully someone can prove me wrong.

JP
04-04-2013, 06:20 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
M,

In his defense he did solicit input through FaceBook. I will not use FB but many do and his use of the internet to get folks to talk to him is a strong point IMHO. I would have preferred that he came here in the open and talked to us, but alas there are those at Pentax HQ in Denver who think we're all barbarians here and who probably "warned" him about us.
Yes, it is a positive thing that he used Facebook as a marketing and feedback tool. Consumer-product companies are supposed to do that these days. I really want to believe that there is at least one marketing analyst on the Pentax staff whose job it is to monitor and mine attitudes and preferences on sites like Pentax Forums.

I've worked for some of the leading brands on the planet, and that is the daily job description of whole teams in marketing strategy and branding departments. While many of us here may disagree about product choices blah blah blah, as a whole, there is a lot of trending clues and information from people who care about the brand and who are using the products in a full range of ways. That is highly valued.

After two days' reading, an analyst could have easily summarized perceptional values around the Q--what works and what does not. So to hear the gentleman quoted as not getting direct feedback on a product that has rich user feedback out there for the taking is rather depressing.

M
04-04-2013, 06:25 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
If he is so enthused about "talking with" Q users , why in the H*** doesn't he show up his "face" here?

I don't know if anybody has sent him our forum link?

To me, this is all small talk.
Hopefully someone can prove me wrong.

JP
Someone at Pentax Americas almost certainly reads this website.

Pentax executives' experience doing live Q/A here in the past has not been ..... shall we say .... civil. It only takes one jerk to make the host close the thread and all opportunity for everyone else to speak intelligently. And with 40,000+ members it is statistically certain someone will be offensive.
04-04-2013, 06:31 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Wouldn't it be the better idea to suggest to Pentax USA that a whole group of Q-users meets with him? Show all your tools and gadgets, bring your pictures.
Why limit it to "one" .