Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-05-2008, 11:41 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Since he seems to be new on this forum, I just sent GeoffreyS a PM that this thread has a solution ready for his 30s waiting time problem.

03-05-2008, 12:19 PM   #17
DAZ
Veteran Member

For the K10D I think you can turn dark frame off but for the K20D I don't see how to turn it off. From looking at the book the best I see is auto.
03-05-2008, 01:14 PM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by DAZ Quote
For the K10D I think you can turn dark frame off but for the K20D I don't see how to turn it off. From looking at the book the best I see is auto.
Yes, you are right. Something to fix urgently for the next firmware release.

With AUTO and 30s exposure, my K20D takes a 25s darkframe shot after the first and also after the second time I press the shutter.

Too bad. Does somebody manage a list of K20D firmware deficiencies in this forum?
03-05-2008, 06:09 PM   #19
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks for the tips on remedying the long write delay with the K10D. I'm kind of embarassed I had not thought of getting rid of the hot pixels in PP myself. Does anyone have a best recommended method to do the dark-frame subtraction in PS CS3 or do you think the trusty healing brush will do the trick?

It is, however, disappointing that you cannot turn the NR off in the K20D. I'm set to order one shortly and relegate the K10 to backup.

By the way, I mostly lurk in this forum when I get the chance (became a member last summer) but I don't post much (don't have the time - my budding career is, happily, keeping me busy selling prints). I should do it more as you guys have been very helpful!

Thanks again!

03-06-2008, 03:12 PM   #20
Veteran Member

as stated, it's the dark frame substraction. you can do it in post processing (maybe try to google for drak frame subtraction reference) - there are methods to make yourself a reference dark frame. i am like you and was bugged by this also, and quickly thaught of a "way" to fix it in firmware:

so here is to pentax: how about using the buffer, on multi-second exposures, to store several dark frames (for several exposure times), and flushing them as the need arises, and by how often they are used; there could even be an option to store them to the card. the point is: i don't need the buffer when i expose for 30s, really, it's of no use to me, and this would eliminate the wait for most of the shots. it's easy to do in firmware, and would be a killer feature for landscapers and such; it would work also, as the temperature tends to change quite slowly (unless you are shooting continuosly 30s exposures for hours, while the sun is setting and temerature droping, which is quite unlikely), so it should work just fine.
03-06-2008, 04:28 PM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by nanok Quote
it's easy to do in firmware, and would be a killer feature for landscapers
I totally agree.

(As a side note, the dark frame would depend on duration, sensor temperature and age of the darkframe taken. So, this would become part of the caching strategy.)

I made a more elaborate test with my K20D and AUTO setting. 10 images in 30s, 10s, and 5images bracket. A fresh darkframe was always taken
03-06-2008, 06:20 PM   #22
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Nanok, that would be fantastic if your suggested process could be done in firmware, and I hope Pentax is listening! I've learned how to do the PP (using the difference blending mode in PS) but it sure seems like one more hassle I don't want to deal with.

(Hey, Falk - I envy your proximity to the Alps. Climbed Grossglockner with my Dad when I was a kid (his hometown is Heidenheim). Take lots of good images before the glaciers are gone!)
03-07-2008, 07:55 AM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by GeoffreyS Quote
Take lots of good images before the glaciers are gone!)
OT...

You got some nice mountains as well, didn't you?

The glaciers are gone already (to some degree). Being a kid I remember that the Grossglockner glacier "Pasterze" accessible from "Hochalpenstrasse" was pretty close to the parking. Now, it is a 1 hour walk down to reach its surface... It is assumed to have lost half of its volume since 1852 and is now only 8km long.

BTW, all this is mostly due to "little ice age" Little Ice Age - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia which ended about 1850 (glaciers need time to melt ) and is almost independent of global warming.

03-07-2008, 11:05 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Interesting take on the K20D, must admit I'm thoroughly enjoying my GX10 (K10D clone) but welcome anything that produces better landscape shots.

Regarding the K20D one reason I won't be buying it is due to Live View which is still too much in its infancy in DSLRs - I very much looking forward to the days of Live View + Live histogram in the viewfinder, I could be in for a long wait though - the K30D might well tempt me in the meantime

simon
03-07-2008, 09:06 PM   #25
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Simon,

That's exactly what I want in Live View exposure feedback - live histo. And I don't think it's far off. I don't understand what good Live View is if it cannot offer some feedabck as to exposure and/or focus. My experience with LCD displays and focus has been abysmal, to be honest. Don't know if it's just me, but I cannot judge critical focus by zooming in on the current LCD displays. Much rather have a large, bright optical viewfinder. Histogram is the only reason I look at the LCD at all.

Falk, let me know when you get to the beautiful Pacific Northwest USA. I'd like to show you our Alps. Many call them the Cascades. They might not have as colorful a history but you are quite right in pointing out that they are indeed worthy of mention. And they start only a half hour out of the big city of Seattle! Those of us in close proximity to such splendor are truly blessed.
03-08-2008, 10:26 AM   #26
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Any other landscape/nature photographers out there?

Yes. Me:

Photos by Pål Jensen - photo.net

Anyway, I find that the K10D doesn't have enough resolution to satisfy my needs....
03-08-2008, 10:19 PM   #27
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote

Anyway, I find that the K10D doesn't have enough resolution to satisfy my needs....
... what are you using now and what are your future equipment plans? Have you tried the top end offerings from the big two and, if so, what do you recommend?
03-09-2008, 07:43 AM   #28
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
... what are you using now and what are your future equipment plans? Have you tried the top end offerings from the big two and, if so, what do you recommend?

I'm using film.....
03-09-2008, 11:39 AM   #29
Site Supporter

Pentax landscape newcomer

Thanks for the landscape thread. As someone who anticipates buying their first DSLR system in the next 60 days to complement my 4x5 large format and 6x7 medium format gear )Pentax 6x7), I am very interested in the strengths of the Pentax K20d for landscape work. AF speeds don't hold much concern for me but raw image size, low-light level focusing and edge to edge lens sharpness and brightness do. So, feel free to share any of your favorite lenses or landscape techniques using the Pentax system. Thanks

The Nikon D300 is the other competitor for my money, and if any of you have any experience with both systems and would care to share some comparison information I would be much obliged. Here is a link to my website with examples of the types of images that I take that I am hoping to emulate with the DSLR. Don Boyd Photographs. Thanks.
03-10-2008, 12:56 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Falk, let me know when you get to the beautiful Pacific Northwest USA. I'd like to show you our Alps. Many call them the Cascades. They might not have as colorful a history but you are quite right in pointing out that they are indeed worthy of mention. And they start only a half hour out of the big city of Seattle! Those of us in close proximity to such splendor are truly blessed.
Indeed we are, GeoffreyS! Falk, the Cascades have been my favorite personal photo subject for decades now, and my second home throughout my lifetime (I grew up in the Chiwaukum Range). While our glaciers are shrinking and we've lost some of the smaller ones, we've still got many dozens, especially on our volcanoes (except for Mt. St. Helens, which blew its top). The North Cascades National Park has a well-deserved reputation as "America's Alps," as well. Well worth a visit and making some new tripod holes!