Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-05-2008, 11:51 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by aegisphan Quote
Unfortunately, Olympus users have to put up with their small sensor. I would say optical-wise, the Olympus is not as good. To be honest, my K10D without the grip is pretty small in my hand (probably i'm used to with the grip combo), though it's still not pocketable. Nevertheless, it wouldn't break your neck either.
Olympus introduced Live-View to dSLR segment so they have come a long way compared to Pentax. The only thing I like about 4/3 system is their ability to adapt other brands' lenses on their system, but the small sensor is just a big minus for me to get one as a second body.
I think, all in all, the difference between the APS-c format and the 4/3's format won't be big (if they decide to stop trying to squeeze in still more megapixel!)

03-05-2008, 11:54 AM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by welshwizard645 Quote
I've seen that it's $200 for the lens....suddenly doesn't look so cheap for what is effectively a standard lens. The FA 50 1.4 is a fairly compact lens..
Comparing apples with pears: the 50 f/1,4 is not a standard focal lenght on APS-c. the 25mm Oly is exactly a 50mm equivalent (thus standard)...
03-05-2008, 12:16 PM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom M Quote
Again, sorry folks but, I don't think the 4/3 system is for architecture and landscape shooters, period.
Why? Can't you take architecture and lanscape photo's anymore with a 24mm equiv?
03-05-2008, 12:24 PM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jbcampbell Quote
But there glass can't compete with Pentax IMO.
Having used Zuiko's for years, and knowing lots of people with 4/3rds, I have to disagree: while Pentax certainly knows how to make good optics, I would place the Zuiko's above the Pentax lenses in terms op optical performance...

03-05-2008, 12:26 PM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by janneman Quote
Well yes, he says that Kx is top professional and Kxxxx is entry level. No mention of actually manufacturing them.... Both Kxxxx and Kx seem a bit MZ-SD to me....MZ-SD was shown but it never appeared.
You know why it never came into production Jan: the reason was the Philips sensor, but the camera itself was very far in production stage when Pentax abondonned the project altogether. It was never vapourware, just bad circumstances, which had nothing to do with Pentax...
03-05-2008, 12:30 PM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aegisphan Quote
I did shoot Olympus film for a while, so I have to disagree with you. Pick up any Olympus OM f/2 lens, and it will give a Pentax prime a good run. I don't know about the 4/3 lenses, but the old OM lenses are among the highest optical/weight ratio. Their prices were pretty good too. Of all my OM lenses, I kept the Zuiko 21/3.5 for its extremely well-corrected distortion, small size, and high optical quality.
I agree completely! I kept my Zuiko 85 f/2 because of its' optical quality. In your signature you say you modified your K10 to except Zuiko's. May I ask how you did that? I'm very interested. I would love to give my Zuiko a second life...
03-05-2008, 03:02 PM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxke Quote
You know why it never came into production Jan: the reason was the Philips sensor, but the camera itself was very far in production stage when Pentax abondonned the project altogether. It was never vapourware, just bad circumstances, which had nothing to do with Pentax...
Ah, my prediction is:
Forget the KxD, they will simply put another sensor in the existing MZ-SD. I just wonder if they wil be able to keep it grip-less as a kit and if they can add sealing and SR
03-05-2008, 05:06 PM   #38

Does anyone know how stable Olympus as a company is? We are all familiar with the issues Pentax has had lately, and its probably kept a lot of potential buyers away at the moment, I was wondering if Olympus is doing well as a company, since they are one of the small players in the market share game, like Pentax.

They are about the only other system with in-body SR and weather sealing as standard, two things I won't give up.

03-05-2008, 05:46 PM   #39

I want a camera which is always with me as part of my lifestyle, just like my watch, PDA and home/car keys.
I don't want to specifically think "Now I am going out to take pictures hence I should not forget the camera."
I want the camera to be an extension of my vision, taking of pictures to be automatic the same way I open a door.

Until now, compact digicams simply did not have the minimum IQ/features.
Sigma DP-1 was promising but they screwed it up.
Pentax had the pancakes.
Olympus the small bodies.

The new Olympus pancake changes the game completely.
Now for a first time it seems to be possible to go as light as one wants up to semi-professional -- in one system.

If Pentax does not come up with a body matching the pancakes this year, I am sure they will lose not only me.
03-05-2008, 09:12 PM   #40
Site Supporter

The Olympus E420 should be an interesting camera. Shot the very similar E410 for a month. Nice camera - smaller than DS. Don't care for how some of the weight reduction was achieved. 14-42 kit lens has plastic lens mount. Ughh. No idea if the pancake will follow this trend. Hope not.
The Olympus had some negatives. It sold poorly (surprised they brought out an E420). The E510 w/ IS outsold it badly, and it cost couple a hundred more. The strap lugs are badly placed on the front of the camera where your hands go. It uses a very small battery (different than all the other Olys) with much less shooting time - especially with liveview. Like all Olys the high iso is inferior to the aps-c cams. Feature wise it is very entry level. Lenses can't be focused manually when camera is off, there are no distance scales on kit lenses. Many Olympus don't even take a cable release. For street shooting I would want a little wider lens like a 17-20. Grass is always greener on the other side.
thanks
barondla

ps buy the Pentax A110. with all its lens it wouldn't be any larger than the Oly with 1 pancake! Both are the same format. 110.
03-06-2008, 12:06 AM   #41
ogl
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If Oly 25/2.8 will be lense with good resolution, good colours, contrast and pleasant bokeh, the question of price is not very important. Lets wait a bit.
Anyway, E420 kit (with prime 25/2.8) could be interesting for photo-amateurs of any brand.
But, I think that Olympus can make new niche for PANCAKE PRO lenses with high prices. It's commerce.