Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
04-11-2013, 06:48 PM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by brofkand Quote
I doubt it's being discontinued, but it is odd that the lens is out of stock from nearly every online retailer, Adorama and B&H included.
The DA*300 is out of stock a few places too.

04-11-2013, 07:07 PM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
The DA*300 is out of stock a few places too.
I tried last month to get a DA 15 ltd, and couldn't, 2 different suppliers ordered it from Pentax Canada and couldn't produce one, I ended up with the Sigma 8-16 (which I wanted more anyway). Just saying, that's way too many lenses out of stock for there not to be something going on. I also know that Pentax Canada keeps very little stock on hand, so if Pentax Canada can't get it, Pentax in Japan doesn't have it.I think last time I checked Henry's still had 2 in stock, but I doubt once those are gone, they can get more, based on what's going on with everyone else.
04-11-2013, 07:59 PM   #33
Veteran Member

As a long time Newegg shopper, I will tell you that they purchase or 'consign' quite a bit of liquidated stock from other retailers or manufacturers. 'Discontinued' means they don't have any more. That's all.
04-11-2013, 08:38 PM   #34
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by MSL Quote
Fair enough - although the lens is several years old, so you'd expect it to be listed on the site. This thread seemed to be rapidly turning into a rumor mill, and I"m not sure why I felt compelled to fuel it. As far as I can tell there is no definitive information one way or the other on the lens. On the same English Pentax site, you can see that the lens is still on the roadmap (whenever that was last updated).
http://www.pentax.jp/english/products/lens/K_Mount_Lens.pdf

is it here?

DA35/2,4 is just 2.5 year old.

04-11-2013, 09:56 PM   #35
Pentaxian

It's extremely unlikely that this has been discontinued. If it has, I hope that it's to replace it with an f/2 version for the same price, and with a metal mount. Then the lens would be what it should have been in the first place.
04-11-2013, 11:32 PM   #36
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
It's extremely unlikely that this has been discontinued. If it has, I hope that it's to replace it with an f/2 version for the same price, and with a metal mount. Then the lens would be what it should have been in the first place.
It's obviously a sign from the Full Frame Gods! We're getting a metal mount DFA 35mm/2!

04-12-2013, 01:34 AM   #37
Veteran Member

Interesting...

On amazon France it says "Only 2 left (more on the way)".

Also on dpreview a guy is saying :

"Here in the Netherlands K01 price dropped to about €250. End of last month i visited my favorite cam store; all KxDxxx bodies where gone, only some K01's left. In a short chat with the salesman asking what's up / do you still support the brand, he replied, sure, but we're waiting for new stuff right now...:-)"

04-12-2013, 03:20 AM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pure speculation, but Pentax is a relatively small manufacturer, lens producing is most likely done in batches. With the K-30 and new K-5 variants coming out last year, lens sales may be up and small stock levels depleted. I'm pretty sure the 18-135 has probably been a top seller since it was bundled with the K-30. I don't think they would be producing any new lens on the roadmap, unless they would be setting up production for a new lens. But if they were that close they would be announcing it. Since everybody is always dreaming and wishing in these hopes, maybe they have found a way to produce better lenses at half the price and will be passing that on! Dream on!
04-12-2013, 05:27 AM   #39
Veteran Member

I got special word from a close personal friend, who heard it from a guy he sat next to on a flight from Japan, that his Concierge at the 5 Star Hotel in Tokyo over heard a conversation by two Pentax insiders, that they have decided to only support the Q going forward. Smaller is where it's at Baby!

Last edited by Docrwm; 04-12-2013 at 06:20 AM.
04-12-2013, 05:47 AM   #40

This sounds very similar to my experience earlier this year. I ordered a DA70 at the local shop. The store didn't have one in any of its sister shops and their computer indicated "discontinued - not available"
The sales rep ordered it anyway, said it should be here in a week or two. He checked after a month, none in the system in Canada, none in the system in Japan.
The lens showed up late February. I realize this proves absolutely nothing, but it sure sounds the same. Not certain I would worry yet.
04-12-2013, 06:09 AM   #41
Veteran Member

Nine times out of 10, the most obvious explanation turns out to be the correct one. These lenses have to be made in batches and it sure seems they're sold out of the DA 35 until the next batch is produced and distributed.
04-12-2013, 07:15 AM   #42
Pentaxian

Just got this in my RSS feeds this morning...Pentax is liquidating $600k of equipment to KEH: KEH Camera Blog: Newly Added Digital Pentax Gear!
04-12-2013, 07:46 AM   #43
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by brofkand Quote
Just got this in my RSS feeds this morning...Pentax is liquidating $600k of equipment to KEH: KEH Camera Blog: Newly Added Digital Pentax Gear!
Probably just leftovers from the open box sale last month...

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/official-pentax-news/215980-pentax-hosts-...ounted-pr.html
04-12-2013, 08:01 AM   #44
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
More than likely. Too bad Pentax USA did not follow-through with the initial idea of selling it here.
04-12-2013, 02:35 PM   #45
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by NickLarsson Quote
<snip>
. In a short chat with the salesman asking what's up / do you still support the brand, he replied, sure, but we're waiting for new stuff right now...:-)"
Sounds like the one line from the member who went to the Denver Warehouse Sale. When asked, Pentax Dealer Rep smiled and said, "Good things are coming."