Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
04-12-2013, 04:40 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by NickLarsson Quote
What do you guys think will happen to the current FA limited prices if a FF camera and new DFA limited lenses are released ?

Will they go down because of the new (and supposedly better) lenses or go up because of the body ?
Don't kid yourself, they'll go up. I doubt very seriously that "supposedly better" lenses will ever appear. It's hard to improve on near perfection. WR, yes. Quick shift yes. But that's about it. And the focal lengths are designed for FF bodies.

NaCl(in fact I'm expecting all FA lenses to get a big price boot if/when a FF body comes out)H2O

04-12-2013, 04:40 AM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by NickLarsson Quote
What do you guys think will happen to the current FA limited prices if a FF camera and new DFA limited lenses are released ?

Will they go down because of the new (and supposedly better) lenses or go up because of the body ?
They won't go down, look at the price of FA* 200mm f/2.8 and F*/FA* 300mm f/4.5 on eBay, just to name two famous Pentax lenses which have a modern equivalent (with the advantage of dust and moisture protection, SDM, Quick Shift and so on).
04-12-2013, 04:45 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
arrrggghhh the sky is falling

- in all seriousness, it is possible pentax may be giving these lenses a revamp - if they do then expect the old FA limited to suffer a serous price drop.
04-12-2013, 05:01 AM   #19
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
No I'm not Rice High and what's your point?
He said the same things several days ago... Check his blog.

04-12-2013, 05:12 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
arrrggghhh the sky is falling

- in all seriousness, it is possible pentax may be giving these lenses a revamp - if they do then expect the old FA limited to suffer a serous price drop.
Yes, I expect these lenses will get optimized for digital and some of them might get weather protected as well.
04-12-2013, 05:13 AM - 2 Likes   #21
Veteran Member

I have a more positive theory. They have second brochure ready to go with a bag full of brand new FF lenses ready to go with the new FF camera.

I have not been smoking anything funny
04-12-2013, 05:13 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
He said the same things several days ago... Check his blog.
I don't want to support RiceLow by giving clicks to his site :-)

So no, I am not going there.

04-12-2013, 05:39 AM   #23
Veteran Member

I've already addressed this issue:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/221458-newegg-post-da-...ml#post2348669
04-12-2013, 05:39 AM   #24
Veteran Member

I think the deal of $250 off a FA lens when buying the K-5 II is about getting full frame lenses out to aps-c shooters. When a full frame camera is released, these shooters will already own a FA LENS, making the upgrade easier. It's the " puppy" sale, take it home for a few days, see how you get on with it.
04-12-2013, 05:49 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Franky2step Quote
I think the deal of $250 off a FA lens when buying the K-5 II is about getting full frame lenses out to aps-c shooters. When a full frame camera is released, these shooters will already own a FA LENS, making the upgrade easier. It's the " puppy" sale, take it home for a few days, see how you get on with it.
That was my initial assumption but I gave it away after the "5 new DSLR's" never materialized.. it's hard to remain positive about Pentax when they never really say anything.
04-12-2013, 05:56 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
Don't kid yourself, they'll go up. I doubt very seriously that "supposedly better" lenses will ever appear. It's hard to improve on near perfection. WR, yes. Quick shift yes. But that's about it. And the focal lengths are designed for FF bodies.

NaCl(in fact I'm expecting all FA lenses to get a big price boot if/when a FF body comes out)H2O
The '31 & '77 definitely need a coating overhaul to reduce the purple fringing.
04-12-2013, 06:14 AM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The '31 & '77 definitely need a coating overhaul to reduce the purple fringing.
How about not shooting wide open with high contrast subjects
04-12-2013, 06:21 AM - 2 Likes   #28
Pentaxian

Meanwhile, at Pentax: "You, ****** ******! I said we should discount the FA Limiteds, discount!"

NaClH2O, I can definitely think of areas to improve. WR construction (would be nice if every non-budget Pentax lens would be WR), QSF, HD coatings and, in some cases, better corner performance.
04-12-2013, 06:30 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by robbiec Quote
How about not shooting wide open with high contrast subjects
What a nice idea.. thanks.
04-12-2013, 06:34 AM - 1 Like   #30
Veteran Member

That was my initial assumption but I gave it away after the "5 new DSLR's" never materialized.. it's hard to remain positive about Pentax when they never really say anything.
I'm trying to remain positive on a Pentax full frame because the alternative it to jump brands and have to sell my K5 and 13 lenses. Getting tired of the rhetoric, the what if, maybe when,if only. I could just go Nikon or Canon full frame and never have to cross my fingers again for a upgrade path.