Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
04-12-2013, 08:03 AM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
can't PF be fixed and/or removed with software? I don't see this as a lens problem that requires a overhaul of the lens lineup.

04-12-2013, 08:50 AM   #47
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Franky2step Quote
can't PF be fixed and/or removed with software?
PentaxForums fixed and/or removed?

The doomsday thinking here needs a fix at least: I'd say that the only tea leaf reading that's possible from these market movements is that Pentax is preparing for FF. Which is highly improbable right now. In any case, the sky is not falling
04-12-2013, 01:46 PM   #48
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
From what I have seen purple fringing isn't affected by coatings - it is an optical-electrical thing, the lens design itself affects resolution and aberration control. Coatings are there merely to aid light transmission and improve image contrast and flare tolerance.
My guess is it’s something in the newer DSLR sensors interacting with these older film lenses that is causing the PF issue. The FA Limited’s were designed for film cameras where purple fringing has never been the same issue.

Phil.
04-12-2013, 02:07 PM   #49
Pentaxian

Well, my bet is that they will stay close to the most recent sale prices as new-ware, minus 20% as used lenses.
The D-FA tilt-shift and hopefully SDM new Limited FF models having a 15 to 20% price markup.

04-12-2013, 03:09 PM   #50
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
My guess is it’s something in the newer DSLR sensors interacting with these older film lenses that is causing the PF issue. The FA Limited’s were designed for film cameras where purple fringing has never been the same issue.

Phil.
According to Wikipedia: PF is an axial abberation where the purple /violet/UV wavelengths aren't corrected for in the lens design. Film was not very sensitive to these wavelengths and so it wasn't a problem back in the day. Sensor are apparently very sensitive to these wavelengths and thus we get PF... Has anyone experimented with UV filters or otherwise to see if this can minimize PF?

PF can be removed in PP but sometimes it leaves artifacts like grey edges.. especially on petals with the same colours present.
04-12-2013, 03:27 PM   #51
Veteran Member

Since switching from Aperture to LR4 I've been a lot less worried about PF, it's very easy to remove now whereas it was a pain in A3. As bossa said though, if there's an extreme case it can leave a grey edge.
04-12-2013, 03:35 PM   #52
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
According to Wikipedia: PF is an axial abberation where the purple /violet/UV wavelengths aren't corrected for in the lens design. Film was not very sensitive to these wavelengths and so it wasn't a problem back in the day. Sensor are apparently very sensitive to these wavelengths and thus we get PF...
That makes sense, I’ve never heard of PF until a couple years ago.

Phil.

04-12-2013, 05:21 PM   #53
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Has anyone experimented with UV filters or otherwise to see if this can minimize PF?
The Leica M8 I use needs a UV/IR cut filter to supplement the weakened internal cut filter - with or without this filter there is no reduction in PF.
04-12-2013, 06:53 PM   #54
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The Leica M8 I use needs a UV/IR cut filter to supplement the weakened internal cut filter - with or without this filter there is no reduction in PF.
Cheers..
04-12-2013, 07:03 PM   #55
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
Since switching from Aperture to LR4 I've been a lot less worried about PF, it's very easy to remove now whereas it was a pain in A3. As bossa said though, if there's an extreme case it can leave a grey edge.
Are you talking about PF or CA?

I've had good luck with CA, bad luck with PF, admittedly in LR3. I have LR4 now, but haven't looked into PF tools.
04-12-2013, 07:25 PM   #56
Pentaxian

The latest Pentax Lens Brochure has NO FA limited lenses listed as part of the system.
No, they're not being discontinued. I got to page four of the brochure where it read "PENTAX SDM lenses drive the autofocus
system significantly faster" and knew it wasn't real, so they can't be discontinuing them.

- in all seriousness, it is possible pentax may be giving these lenses a revamp - if they do then expect the old FA limited to suffer a serous price drop.
Actually, if they revamp them, there's a high chance they won't have an aperture ring. This will probably increase prices of the current FA Limiteds with the ring.
04-12-2013, 07:42 PM   #57
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
Are you talking about PF or CA?

I've had good luck with CA, bad luck with PF, admittedly in LR3. I have LR4 now, but haven't looked into PF tools.
Both are easy to remove now
04-12-2013, 07:42 PM - 1 Like   #58
Veteran Member

Hopefully the prices shoot up and I can sell my 31mm for the new Sigma 35mm F/1.4.
04-12-2013, 07:45 PM   #59
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by builttospill Quote

Actually, if they revamp them, there's a high chance they won't have an aperture ring. This will probably increase prices of the current FA Limiteds with the ring.
I agree. Also inevitably the rendering will be different (I'd put my money on edge to edge sharpness at the expense of smooth bokeh) and so the legacy FA limiteds will have an appeal still.

It's not an "if" these lenses will be discontinued of course, all lenses eventually are, and these FA limiteds have already had a long life.
04-12-2013, 07:57 PM   #60
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

yes, the aperture ring was one of the primary points of interest for me as a photographer with the FA limited lenses. Which is why I like to use my Leica M cameras as well.

though my point was if the new lenses that replace the FA limited lenses have superior image quality* then there will still be a drop in the price on the older FA LTD lenses.

*As good as the FA limted lenses are there is still room for improvement - also an expansion of the FA limited lens line up would be a great way to pave the road for a future FF camera, say a 20mm f/2 and a 120mm f/1.8?