Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 50 Likes Search this Thread
04-21-2013, 10:40 PM   #211
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by loveisageless Quote
I have a 2004 Outback H-6 3.0 (LL Bean). I love the handling, the visibility and the quality finish. I bought mine used at 53,00 miles in 2008 and it has been reliable and without need for major repairs. It has almost 89,000 miles now and could probably make it for another 100,000 with good care. It isn't hybrid, gas mileage is not that great, it doesn't have blue tooth or navigation (that's what iPhones are for), but it gets the job done and doesn't break the bank. Sort of like Pentax...
Subies are great cars. Like Toyotas.

I had a Camry that had 60,000 miles on it when it was "gifted" to me, and just "gifted" it to my stepson at about 300,000 miles. The engine has never been opened up. It got a new timing belt every 60,000 miles, and I replaced a motor mount, the oil filter boss seal and cam cover seal just before I passed it on to him. I replaced the half shafts at about 250,000 miles, the front brake pads twice and the tires twice. I changed the oil and filter every 5,000 miles and serviced the transmission every time I did the timing belt.

It still has the original shocks, exhaust and rear brakes.

If the kid takes care of it like I did it should last at least to a million miles.

I expect the same service from my Legacy.

04-22-2013, 07:20 AM - 2 Likes   #212
Administrator
Site Webmaster

According to Pentax USA, the FA 31mm, 43mm, and 77mm are still being produced and available for sale.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-22-2013, 07:32 AM   #213
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
According to Pentax USA, the FA 31mm, 43mm, and 77mm are still being produced and available for sale.
And that should bring this thread to a close...
04-22-2013, 08:05 AM   #214
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
And that should bring this thread to a close...
Nah, someone will just find another calamity to crow about - pestilence, earthquakes, zombie apocalypse, etc. Lots of Chicken Littles here lol.

04-22-2013, 08:33 AM   #215
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
Nah, someone will just find another calamity to crow about - pestilence, earthquakes, zombie apocalypse, etc. Lots of Chicken Littles here lol.
I said should. I didn't say it would...
04-22-2013, 09:24 AM   #216
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Thank you very much. Any word on the DA35/2.4, because that was the other part of why I started this thread - the thread saying it was d/c'd because some non-AD said so?
04-22-2013, 09:58 AM   #217
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by loveisageless Quote
I have a 2004 Outback H-6 3.0 (LL Bean). I love the handling, the visibility and the quality finish. I bought mine used at 53,00 miles in 2008 and it has been reliable and without need for major repairs. It has almost 89,000 miles now and could probably make it for another 100,000 with good care. It isn't hybrid, gas mileage is not that great, it doesn't have blue tooth or navigation (that's what iPhones are for), but it gets the job done and doesn't break the bank. Sort of like Pentax...
35th Anniversary Edition. About 10,000 fewer miles. Premium gas costs me $75 a month. Once in a while it needs brake linings. Totally overengineered to drive 250,000 miles - and the entire car will last that long, not just the drive train.

And Subaru has (now) 45 years experience with All-Wheel Drive. After driving this I cannot imagine going back. This is just too stable on a dry surface and capable on a wet or snowy.

04-22-2013, 10:37 AM   #218
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
35th Anniversary Edition. About 10,000 fewer miles. Premium gas costs me $75 a month. Once in a while it needs brake linings. Totally overengineered to drive 250,000 miles - and the entire car will last that long, not just the drive train.

And Subaru has (now) 45 years experience with All-Wheel Drive. After driving this I cannot imagine going back. This is just too stable on a dry surface and capable on a wet or snowy.
93 Legacy 2wd wagon 204k, '08 Outback Sport, '09 Legacy.....all daily drivers. Routine maintenance on 08/09. Water pump and shift lever(manual) grommet on the '93. I wish they made a full size Pick-up and/or brought the diesel over from Europe. Last set of Kumhos on the '93 lasted 80k before sidewall cracking.

Last edited by lukulele; 04-22-2013 at 10:38 AM. Reason: omission
04-22-2013, 11:45 AM   #219
Veteran Member

Pentax should really work with Subaru....A free WG-3 with every purchase!
04-22-2013, 11:47 AM   #220
Veteran Member

Pentax should really work with Subaru....A free WG-3 with every purchase!
I don't know if you were saying that tongue-in-cheek, but i really think that is a good idea
04-22-2013, 02:09 PM   #221
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

We sure have hijacked this this thread with talk about our great Subaru cars. Proof that great cars and great cameras go hand in hand!
04-22-2013, 03:54 PM   #222
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
I don't know if you were saying that tongue-in-cheek, but i really think that is a good idea
No joke. The brands have very complimentary attributes (tough, rugged, all-wheel-drive, weather sealing, extreme, etc...) and are "second-tier" players in their respective markets.
04-22-2013, 05:08 PM   #223
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

. . . . . . and are "second-tier" players in their respective markets.
Which makes me wonder why?

With Subaru, they wrote the book on all wheel drive passenger cars, in fact their entire lineup is all wheel drive. Only recently have other manufacturers been producing all wheel drive models in the same class of car, and no one has it across the entire lineup.

With Pentax, they have the SMC lenses. Pentax has been at the forefront of optical innovations for over 100 years, yet seems to always play second fiddle for some folks.
04-22-2013, 07:41 PM   #224
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
With Subaru, they wrote the book on all wheel drive passenger cars, in fact their entire lineup is all wheel drive.
I believe the official Oregon state car is the Subaru. Some days I swear half the cars on the road are Outbacks or Foresters....
04-22-2013, 07:52 PM   #225
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
I believe the official Oregon state car is the Subaru. Some days I swear half the cars on the road are Outbacks or Foresters....

They are great cars.

As are Pentax cameras.

So how come we don't see more Pentax cameras then?