Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-23-2013, 12:48 PM   #241
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ak_kiwi Quote
You have a very good point about the WR factor being a differentiator.
The Canon 7D is being marketed as having
"exclusive dust and weather resistance
. . . the camera’s seals are built to resist water and dust."

Canon U.S.A. : Consumer & Home Office : EOS 7D

04-23-2013, 12:56 PM   #242
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
The Canon 7D is being marketed as having
"exclusive dust and weather resistance
. . . the camera’s seals are built to resist water and dust."

Canon U.S.A. : Consumer & Home Office : EOS 7D
Lots of marketing departments claim lots of things. But if you read the official Canon specifications for that camera you find this::
Operating Environment

Working Temperature Range
32-104°F/0-40°C
Working Humidity Range
85% or less

Pentax Japan's site has this for the K-30 - which is a big step down from the 7D in price:
The K-30 features a dependable weather-resistant, dustproof construction, with 81 seals set in its compact body. Because these seals prevent the intrusion of water and dust, you can take the camera to all kinds of photo shooting, regardless of location or weather. Thanks to cold resistance down to -10° C, you can even use it for mid-winter outdoor shooting.

And later this:
Equipped with special seals set within their lens barrels, AW lenses provide the same reliable weather-resistant, dustproof performance as the K-30 camera body, preventing the intrusion of drizzle and dust into the lens barrel. WR lenses come with a simplified weather-resistant construction designed to repel a light splash of water.

Last time I checked, when its drizzling its around 100% humidity.
04-23-2013, 01:30 PM   #243
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Not necessarily. See

How Does It Rain When The Humidity Is So Low? - The Fun Times Guide to Weather

But I guess this thread is "The Sky is Falling!"
04-23-2013, 02:25 PM   #244
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
Not necessarily. See

How Does It Rain When The Humidity Is So Low? - The Fun Times Guide to Weather

But I guess this thread is "The Sky is Falling!"
Given that the humidity is above 85% here nearly half the year I guess I'm bias. Plus I shouldn't own Canons "weather resistant" camera unless I only want to use it in months with an R in the name.

Last edited by Docrwm; 04-23-2013 at 02:36 PM.
04-23-2013, 04:22 PM   #245

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
And November 1919 is "over 100 years" before April 2013?
Almost!
04-23-2013, 04:52 PM - 1 Like   #246
Pentaxian

Given that the humidity is above 85% here nearly half the year I guess I'm bias. Plus I shouldn't own Canons "weather resistant" camera unless I only want to use it in months with an R in the name.
Now that we're completely off topic I'd like to note that a French person once told me to eat mussels only in months with an R in the name. It's good to know that I can take photos of the mussels with the 7D.
04-23-2013, 05:26 PM   #247
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
Now that we're completely off topic I'd like to note that a French person once told me to eat mussels only in months with an R in the name. It's good to know that I can take photos of the mussels with the 7D.
Here in the deep South months without Rs tend to >85% humidity....Canon cameras should come with a warning
04-23-2013, 05:34 PM   #248
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
Pentax should really work with Subaru....A free WG-3 with every purchase!
QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
I don't know if you were saying that tongue-in-cheek, but i really think that is a good idea
JMF rarely kids. Pentax could co-market with all knids of outdoor-oriented companies if they would just commit to the cost.

04-26-2013, 07:52 AM   #249

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote

Or there should be a declaration that they are a small counter-cultural company, embracing GenX and GenY and building for 20 years from now (which would actually be pretty smart).
Funny you should mention that. Pentax is actually considered to be the cool camera to have in Gen X/Y social networks like 4Chan and Reddit. I am always suprised Pentax Marketing never leverage that.
04-26-2013, 08:54 AM   #250
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
Why are Pentax cameras where they are today with regards to market share?

There are many factors at work: the impact of modern chip technology on the camera, internet marketing, big box stores in the US which tend to favor fewer choices, etc. but its what Pentax does with its options that interests me the most. Pentax reminds me of the Swiss analog watch makers - who invented the digital watch and then disregarded it as never being commercially viable.

I think Pentax has been too slow to change and adapt, preferring to take pride in the old ways.

Consider two cameras:
a. the Pentax K01 which was criticized heavily from its introduction

and

b. the Ricoh GR which seems to be getting a very friendly reception

K01 says to me: no market research, WHILE the GR says: market research aplenty.

Whatever Ricoh-Pentax did to produce the GR - they need to do the same kinds of things for the DSLRs.

PS: K30, K5, K5ii, K5iis are excellent cameras. I love my K5 and use it heavily. Eventually they need to produce a FF camera - hope its earlier rather than later.
Let's wait until the GR (V) hits the market as we really can't conclude how well it will do beforehand.
04-26-2013, 01:55 PM   #251
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mrNewt Quote
Every Subaru should come with a WR Pentax kit mounted on it ...
Mine does... on the hood just ahead of the windshield... right next to the .50-calibre machine gun! Outback Sport, indeed!
04-26-2013, 04:31 PM   #252
Pentaxian

Lots of marketing departments claim lots of things. But if you read the official Canon specifications for that camera you find this::
Operating Environment

Working Temperature Range
32-104°F/0-40°C
Working Humidity Range
85% or less

Pentax Japan's site has this for the K-30 - which is a big step down from the 7D in price:
The K-30 features a dependable weather-resistant, dustproof construction, with 81 seals set in its compact body. Because these seals prevent the intrusion of water and dust, you can take the camera to all kinds of photo shooting, regardless of location or weather. Thanks to cold resistance down to -10° C, you can even use it for mid-winter outdoor shooting.

And later this:
Equipped with special seals set within their lens barrels, AW lenses provide the same reliable weather-resistant, dustproof performance as the K-30 camera body, preventing the intrusion of drizzle and dust into the lens barrel. WR lenses come with a simplified weather-resistant construction designed to repel a light splash of water.

I've used my K5 down to -40 Ceclius.... for hours. love that camera. My Nikon D600? wouldn't trust it past -15
04-26-2013, 06:29 PM   #253
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Biro Quote
... right next to the .50-calibre machine gun! Outback Sport, indeed!
In the New Jersey? I thought New Jersey is tough on guns.
04-26-2013, 06:31 PM   #254
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wired Quote
I've used my K5 down to -40 Ceclius.... for hours. love that camera. My Nikon D600? wouldn't trust it past -15
Wow, that is genuinely, dangerously, cold. Gotta ask, what was battery life like at temperatures like that?
04-26-2013, 07:13 PM   #255
Pentaxian

Wow, that is genuinely, dangerously, cold. Gotta ask, what was battery life like at temperatures like that?
No idea. I went a week or more of shooting at that temp on one battery. Think I was using the 77 limited too.... had to be around 250 shots on that charge? The cold got to me before the camera that's for sure.

Lots of tripod use that month. Check my flickr for the month of November...I think it was worth it