Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 50 Likes Search this Thread
04-12-2013, 08:33 PM   #46

QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote

And a link to the Pentax page on KEH:

Pentax Digital - Cameras, Lenses, Batteries & other Accessories - KEH.com

Not that the sky is falling or anything, but I found it kind of strange that KEH ended up with $600k of inventory directly from Pentax..........

Can't seem to find the new stuff on KEH, any other link? I'm in the process of building up my kit.

04-12-2013, 08:50 PM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by steppenfuchs Quote
Can't seem to find the new stuff on KEH, any other link? I'm in the process of building up my kit.
I don't there is any new stuff - just used/returned/demo stuff from the Colorado sale that didn't sell.
04-12-2013, 09:26 PM   #48
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Limiteds actually becoming Limited is a good thing.

For those who actually only think of Limiteds when they are Limited, I don't think did buy Limiteds.
So no more new Limiteds or Limiteds being un-Limited, matters Limited to them in the first place.

04-13-2013, 04:34 AM   #49
Veteran Member

Regarding comments from Pentax, I'm pretty sure there's a lot of one way communication.

Pentax USA may keep an eye on the forum when they have nothing else to do but are of course unable to reveal anything that hasn't been announced officially.

On the other hand, I suspect that the communication between Pentax USA and Pentax HQ is more or less one way also. Japan does what it does and when necessary gives information to the USA branch. But since I suspect most business decisions are made with the Japanese home market in mind, rather little information flows from the US branch to the HQ.

04-13-2013, 05:03 AM   #50
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Raffwal Quote
Regarding comments from Pentax, I'm pretty sure there's a lot of one way communication.

Pentax USA may keep an eye on the forum when they have nothing else to do but are of course unable to reveal anything that hasn't been announced officially.

On the other hand, I suspect that the communication between Pentax USA and Pentax HQ is more or less one way also. Japan does what it does and when necessary gives information to the USA branch. But since I suspect most business decisions are made with the Japanese home market in mind, rather little information flows from the US branch to the HQ.
Under Hoya the Pentax-owned-distributors operated more as free companies with little Japanese control. They ordered what they thought they could sell. A distributor's independent orders could make or break a product.

I've often wondered whether Pentax USA didn't effectively doom the K-01 by passive-aggressively under supporting it. I suspect James Malcolm came here to establish some HQ controls in the Americas distributor.
04-13-2013, 06:31 AM   #51
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I've often wondered whether Pentax USA didn't effectively doom the K-01 by passive-aggressively under supporting it.
Historically (recent history, anyway) they've under supported everything. I think what doomed the K-01 was going for artsy when the should have gone for practical and ergonomically friendly.
04-13-2013, 06:37 AM   #52
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Historically (recent history, anyway) they've under supported everything. I think what doomed the K-01 was going for artsy when the should have gone for practical and ergonomically friendly.
It's amazing the effort some will go to in order to continue the claim that the K-01 was brilliant and not the flawed product that it truly is/was. Price, design - both aesthetics and choices having to do with lenses, and overall size made the K-01 a dog (here we pronounce that DAWG). I own one, but only because I got it for $152 total cost to me and I have a load of K-mount lenses and compatible batteries. For the rest of the world (not just the US as suggested) it made nearly zero sense to get it over a modern MiLC. Sales in Japan were terrible too (not just in the US) and they love the Q and it has sold very well indeed in Japan, so its not just that Pentax can't get things noticed in the Home market.

04-13-2013, 07:37 AM   #53
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
It's amazing the effort some will go to in order to continue the claim that the K-01 was brilliant and not the flawed product that it truly is/was. Price, design - both aesthetics and choices having to do with lenses, and overall size made the K-01 a dog (here we pronounce that DAWG). I own one, but only because I got it for $152 total cost to me and I have a load of K-mount lenses and compatible batteries. For the rest of the world (not just the US as suggested) it made nearly zero sense to get it over a modern MiLC. Sales in Japan were terrible too (not just in the US) and they love the Q and it has sold very well indeed in Japan, so its not just that Pentax can't get things noticed in the Home market.
Heh. Here we go again. That wasn't even my point, just an example.

I didn't say I believed that - but I have wondered. They could have at least had a break even effort rather than a disaster if P-USA had helped. I'm certainly not as critical of the K-01 as others here (and clearly throughout the rest of the world) but even I admit it has its problems. Design and ergonomics aren't on my list of problems - I actually like them - but those are preference items, not technical. Whether another person thinks a camera is ugly is completely irrelevant AFAIC if I like it. The K-mount register distance is fine. I don't believe every MILC has to be a pack of cigarettes.

If they were going to make a K-mount mirrorless specialty APSc camera they should have made it optimized for Manual Focus, both with Quick Shift Limited pancakes and legacy lenses. TAv should have been a Mode Dial option rather than a half-measure buried in M. Un-crippled K-mount full Manual would have been really exciting!! If not optimized for legacy lenses, why else make it K-mount? IOW, it could have been the digital KX/MX (K1000) many here ask for.

Video could have been optimized for cult-status (though I never use it so I don't know what they want) with legacy Manual Focus lenses (videographers manual focus much of the time).

As it is the K-01 isn't exceptional anywhere - all the compromises are the wrong ones.

Last edited by monochrome; 04-13-2013 at 12:03 PM.
04-13-2013, 08:01 AM   #54
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
Your arc will need to include staking (or: brain-stabbing) those you hold most dear. That's just how it works.

I thought shot guns were the weapons of choice for dealing with zombies. Stakes are more for vampires, not?
04-13-2013, 09:23 AM   #55
Veteran Member

No news from Pentax USA yet? Hm-m
04-13-2013, 10:18 AM   #56
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Greyser Quote
Well, it is the weekend......
04-13-2013, 11:54 AM   #57
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Greyser Quote
Why should they react to forum hysteria?
04-13-2013, 12:03 PM   #58
Veteran Member

I think he forgot to insert the sarcasm tag.
04-13-2013, 12:49 PM   #59
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LamyTax Quote
Why should they react to forum hysteria?
Because such things can take on a life of their own and harm the company, its sales, reputation, and linger online. It really is best for corporations to address such issues clearly and immediately - particularly companies that are not in a strong position within their particularly industry.
04-13-2013, 02:30 PM - 2 Likes   #60
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Because such things can take on a life of their own and harm the company, its sales, reputation, and linger online. It really is best for corporations to address such issues clearly and immediately - particularly companies that are not in a strong position within their particularly industry.
The only thing that's hurting right now is the reputation of this forum.

Don't. Panic.