Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-16-2013, 11:51 PM   #91
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Greyser Quote
Do they really care about Pentax community?
Did they in the past? No; then what makes you think that they would start now?

04-17-2013, 06:57 AM   #92
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Did they in the past? No; then what makes you think that they would start now?
It's a pity to re-discover it over and over again. Just talk to the people. It's that simple!
04-17-2013, 07:45 AM   #93
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Greyser Quote
It's a pity to re-discover it over and over again. Just talk to the people. It's that simple!
The part that annoys me the most is that I see Pentax USA participating on DPR but not here. Now lets see - DPR has about what 10 posts a week related to Pentax dSLRs and we have about 1000 new threads a week about Pentax. Yeah, participating at DPR makes sooooo much more sense than participating here.
04-17-2013, 08:03 AM   #94
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
The part that annoys me the most is that I see Pentax USA participating on DPR but not here. Now lets see - DPR has about what 10 posts a week related to Pentax dSLRs and we have about 1000 new threads a week about Pentax. Yeah, participating at DPR makes sooooo much more sense than participating here.
There is one advantage of DPR. It is much easier to monitor. Many gems of PF are quite hidden due to multiple sections. However, here in this current thread, I guess, Adam contacted them directly. There is no excuse for not seeing it.

04-17-2013, 08:15 AM   #95
Site Supporter

The part that annoys me the most is that I see Pentax USA participating on DPR but not here.
But everyone here (almost) is already a Pentax fan, no point in trying to recruit us. Over on DPR they at least have a chance of gaining a convert.

Companies generally avoid online forums because in the past it has often resulted in 'bad things' happening. Also it is a medium that the marketing department does not control, so it is best avoided lest something be said that would badly affect said marketing department's career goals.

Personally in this age of social networking I think that is a major mistake. Everything I see in cutting edge marketing indicates you MUST involve and engage your customers. The purchasing choices are numerous and developing brand loyalty means developing fans, not an advertising campaign.

The core fan base is here and a smart company could leverage that into something amazing if they had the guts. That has essentially been Apple's strategy, leverage the existing fans as evangelists to promote sales. Seems to have worked for them. Come on Pentax, "Be Different".
04-17-2013, 08:17 AM   #96
Pentaxian

Participating here is not an option, because of the extremely harsh treatment towards Pentax USA's officials. Don't blame them!
04-17-2013, 08:26 AM   #97
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Participating here is not an option, because of the extremely harsh treatment towards Pentax USA's officials. Don't blame them!
I'm not blaming them. I just think how friendly would it be to reply somthing like this: "Yes, we got rid of some office junk ". That's simple. We want to be heard, not ignored, right?

Last edited by Greyser; 04-17-2013 at 07:13 PM.
04-17-2013, 08:58 AM - 2 Likes   #98
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
But everyone here (almost) is already a Pentax fan, no point in trying to recruit us. Over on DPR they at least have a chance of gaining a convert.

Companies generally avoid online forums because in the past it has often resulted in 'bad things' happening. Also it is a medium that the marketing department does not control, so it is best avoided lest something be said that would badly affect said marketing department's career goals.

Personally in this age of social networking I think that is a major mistake. Everything I see in cutting edge marketing indicates you MUST involve and engage your customers. The purchasing choices are numerous and developing brand loyalty means developing fans, not an advertising campaign.

The core fan base is here and a smart company could leverage that into something amazing if they had the guts. That has essentially been Apple's strategy, leverage the existing fans as evangelists to promote sales. Seems to have worked for them. Come on Pentax, "Be Different".
I understand, but when you are a niche player with a dedicated fan base the worst possible marketing mistake is to ignore and neglect those who have already joined your ranks. Pentax is sort of like Boy Scouts of America that way. Always trying to start new Troops and Packs and not devoting anywhere near enough support to those already chartered.

I'm not suggesting that Pentax have ongoing discussions here on a daily basis but it would be nice if they did as B&H and Adorama have done - have someone dedicated to this forum that is available to answer questions and to check on things at company HQ. It would also be nice, again as both B&H and Adorama have done, to offer the forum specials only available to us.

Oh, and it would also be nice if they put out fan items like PentaxForums does in the form of T-shirts. Try to find, just try to find, a Pentax baseball cap. I have been offered both Nikon and Canon caps and even a Sony shirt in the past but I can't even buy a Pentax baseball cap.

04-17-2013, 09:12 AM   #99
Loyal Site Supporter

Maybe they knew there would be product announcements right around the corner that might lift the funk - so commenting would actually be counterproductive.
04-17-2013, 09:17 AM   #100
Site Supporter

Dip Review isn't even Pentax specific.
04-17-2013, 12:52 PM   #101
Veteran Member

While I think involvement of some kind in our forum is a great idea, I also do see a reason for their reluctance. But when the head of the marketing department says that he looks to Facebook for feedback and not Pentax Forums, that shows me that not only do they not involve themselves here, they don't even acknowledge they read anything here to gain any feedback.

For me it comes down to a total lack of communication - not only forum related, but also having such a vague road map. For an example, Fuji has a published road map the their X series lenses. One lens on that road map shows early in 2013 (before half way through the year). Well guess what - this lens was announced today and already available for pre-order. I'm not trying to pit one company against the other here - just showing a type of communication to the users.

With Pentax, the silence is deafening. Just about every day here on the marketplace you see entire Pentax collections come up for sale. I'm guessing maybe half those sales wouldn't come up if there was some (any) kind of communication.
04-17-2013, 02:09 PM - 3 Likes   #102
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
While I think involvement of some kind in our forum is a great idea, I also do see a reason for their reluctance. But when the head of the marketing department says that he looks to Facebook for feedback and not Pentax Forums, that shows me that not only do they not involve themselves here, they don't even acknowledge they read anything here to gain any feedback.

For me it comes down to a total lack of communication - not only forum related, but also having such a vague road map. For an example, Fuji has a published road map the their X series lenses. One lens on that road map shows early in 2013 (before half way through the year). Well guess what - this lens was announced today and already available for pre-order. I'm not trying to pit one company against the other here - just showing a type of communication to the users.

With Pentax, the silence is deafening. Just about every day here on the marketplace you see entire Pentax collections come up for sale. I'm guessing maybe half those sales wouldn't come up if there was some (any) kind of communication.
To follow up on that I'd like to discuss marketing a bit. I went to the K-30 release Tour when it came to Atlanta (after we complained here about the entire SE US being left out Pentax USA responded and added Atlanta to their credit). I'd like to use what happened there as an example of how Pentax can step up their game.

Ken and Amber were gracious and informative. I learned a good bit that evening about several things that I thought I knew. I'll use one as an example for this post - the O-GPS1. Ken's presentation via PowerPoint was an official Pentax presentation with logos and such that I had never seen anywhere else and had never even heard of before. It seemed targeted at retailers. It was an absolutely terrific presentation and had so many interesting and useful facts and functions about the O-GPS1 in it that I bet if it had been shared here they could have tripled their sales of that unit. Did they share that with the largest Pentax community on the planet? What would it have cost them to do so? It was already developed. Why on Earth would something like that be kept and only circulated to a very few people? It's like the people at Pentax truly believe that BS that they posted back during the MAP fiasco that we are not their customers - the retailers are.

Don't they get it that by educating us they will do two things immediately - increase their direct sales (as in the O-GPS1 example above) and increase the accuracy of their unpaid representatives all over the world thereby indirectly selling more Pentax gear? How can you not get that in this day and age?!?
04-17-2013, 02:54 PM   #103
Veteran Member

To follow up on that I'd like to discuss marketing a bit. I went to the K-30 release Tour when it came to Atlanta (after we complained here about the entire SE US being left out Pentax USA responded and added Atlanta to their credit). I'd like to use what happened there as an example of how Pentax can step up their game.

Ken and Amber were gracious and informative. I learned a good bit that evening about several things that I thought I knew. I'll use one as an example for this post - the O-GPS1. Ken's presentation via PowerPoint was an official Pentax presentation with logos and such that I had never seen anywhere else and had never even heard of before. It seemed targeted at retailers. It was an absolutely terrific presentation and had so many interesting and useful facts and functions about the O-GPS1 in it that I bet if it had been shared here they could have tripled their sales of that unit. Did they share that with the largest Pentax community on the planet? What would it have cost them to do so? It was already developed. Why on Earth would something like that be kept and only circulated to a very few people? It's like the people at Pentax truly believe that BS that they posted back during the MAP fiasco that we are not their customers - the retailers are.

Don't they get it that by educating us they will do two things immediately - increase their direct sales (as in the O-GPS1 example above) and increase the accuracy of their unpaid representatives all over the world thereby indirectly selling more Pentax gear? How can you not get that in this day and age?!?
That's quite a story Doc - thanks for sharing. This is exactly the type of things I am talking about when I say communication. Even if they didn't target PF with that presentation - why wouldn't it be on their website somewhere? Like you said - if a presentation like that for an accessory was made public and available, I agree that the sales for that item would be much much more.

I wonder if this is limited to the US, or are things the same in other markets?
04-17-2013, 04:03 PM   #104
Pentaxian

Oh, and it would also be nice if they put out fan items like PentaxForums does in the form of T-shirts. Try to find, just try to find, a Pentax baseball cap. I have been offered both Nikon and Canon caps and even a Sony shirt in the past but I can't even buy a Pentax baseball cap.
They have a Pentax baseball cap on Cafe Press. They have one that says "Yes, it's a Pentax" and another one that says "PentaxForum.com" and they are available in white & tan. No idea how good they are, but a couple of years ago I got a black one that has "Pentax" in red capital letters. I wear it a lot.
04-17-2013, 04:28 PM   #105
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Dip Review isn't even Pentax specific.
"Dip Review", lol