Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-17-2013, 06:05 PM   #106
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cardinal43 Quote
They have a Pentax baseball cap on Cafe Press. They have one that says "Yes, it's a Pentax" and another one that says "PentaxForum.com" and they are available in white & tan. No idea how good they are, but a couple of years ago I got a black one that has "Pentax" in red capital letters. I wear it a lot.
Thanks for letting me know but everyone that has a genuine Pentax cap (black with red letters) says "I got it years ago......". I've ordered caps for my practice, they do not cost that much and Pentax USA used to have them in stock but even took down the listing for them last time I looked. But I merely used that as an example of little things they could do for their small, and shrinking, fan base that might enliven things a bit.

04-17-2013, 06:28 PM   #107

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
Around here, when the sky falls it's called rain. Helps the plants grow.
Of course!

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
Well we get precious little of that stuff here and the all the local plants are cactus.....

The local flora has proven the adaptability of nature.

Where I have been sitting for 2 days the sky is also falling. White fluffy stuff. Falling is such large quantities that Interstate 80 has been closed for almost the entire length of the state of Wyoming, Interstate 25 has been closed off and on from Cheyenne to Buffalo, Interstate 90 has had on again/off again closures from Montana to South Dakota, and most of the US and state highways have been closed.

I have been stuck in Rawlins since early Tuesday morning, and don't expect to get moving until sometime Thursday.

Good times.

But hey, I have been able to exercise my WR Pentax gear!

(Mine is the one with the yellow banner)

Maybe tomorrow it will stop snowing so I can get back to work and earn more money to buy more Pentax gear.

Say, didn't spring start a few weeks ago?
04-17-2013, 06:41 PM   #108
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Of course!

The local flora has proven the adaptability of nature.

Where I have been sitting for 2 days the sky is also falling. White fluffy stuff. Falling is such large quantities that Interstate 80 has been closed for almost the entire length of the state of Wyoming, Interstate 25 has been closed off and on from Cheyenne to Buffalo, Interstate 90 has had on again/off again closures from Montana to South Dakota, and most of the US and state highways have been closed.

I have been stuck in Rawlins since early Tuesday morning, and don't expect to get moving until sometime Thursday.

Good times.

But hey, I have been able to exercise my WR Pentax gear!

Maybe tomorrow it will stop snowing so I can get back to work and earn more money to buy more Pentax gear.

Say, didn't spring start a few weeks ago?
Stay safe (and warm).
04-17-2013, 07:00 PM   #109

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Stay safe (and warm).
Thank you, (and I am). The APU has been running non stop since 10:15am (pst) Tuesday morning. An toasty 74 degrees in my cozy sleeper!

04-17-2013, 07:31 PM   #110
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69:

Watch out - looks like Swift is going to try to pass you.....

Only kidding - we've had such a long winter here, and to see those photos here in the middle of April just gives me chills.

Hope you can get rolling soon - sitting still like that costs money in a couple ways.
04-17-2013, 07:31 PM   #111
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Where I have been sitting for 2 days the sky is also falling. White fluffy stuff. Falling is such large quantities that Interstate 80 has been closed for almost the entire length of the state of Wyoming,
That is not much snow. We have 1.5 meters here....
1. May 1997 we had 2.4 meters. No closed roads
04-17-2013, 08:00 PM   #112

QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
Watch out - looks like Swift is going to try to pass you.....

Only kidding - we've had such a long winter here, and to see those photos here in the middle of April just gives me chills.

Hope you can get rolling soon - sitting still like that costs money in a couple ways.
Yes, the weather has been strange lately, but I doubt it is due to Al Gore and his Global Warming stuff. When I worked in civil engineering I learned about using storm frequency rates to design storm water drainage and retention systems. We typically designed for 50 or 100 year frequencies to have adequate capacity in the drainage pipes and manholes, and storage in the stormwater retention ponds.

So what I think we are experiencing is the 100 year frequency storm cycle.

It'll pass, and soon we will be complaining about the heat.

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
That is not much snow. We have 1.5 meters here....
1. May 1997 we had 2.4 meters. No closed roads
But up your way it is an annual expectation to have large accumulations of snow, and the infrastructure is set up to deal with it. In fact the Norwegians have been dealing with extreme winter weather for hundreds of years.

It's a way of life.

I think most of the Norwegians that immigrated to the US went to Seattle and became fishermen and loggers. Smart people.

Out here in the Cowboy state there aren't any trees or fjords to block the winds, so the snow blows around and drifts, and the wind chill freezes the roads so severely that they become impassable, even after the highway department spreads salt on everything.

With the wind blowing the snow around so much it makes it tough to measure actual accumulations.

They tried to open I-80 this morning, but had to quickly close it, as there were dozens of accidents in the first hour after they pulled the gates up.

Oh, and one ski area reported 48" of snow in 24 hours yesterday. That's about 1.2 meters.

And last week Rapid City South Dakota had a record one day snow fall of two feet.

In April.
04-17-2013, 09:37 PM   #113
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
It's like the people at Pentax truly believe that BS that they posted back during the MAP fiasco that we are not their customers - the retailers are. Don't they get it that by educating us they will do two things immediately - increase their direct sales (as in the O-GPS1 example above) and increase the accuracy of their unpaid representatives all over the world thereby indirectly selling more Pentax gear? How can you not get that in this day and age?!?

++1 Couldn't have put it better myself.

04-18-2013, 04:40 AM   #114
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Gray Quote
++1 Couldn't have put it better myself.
Thanks.
04-19-2013, 08:40 AM   #115
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Still no answer? Its the END of the week after the question was posed to Pentax.

I just looked at the Marketplace and what a depressing picture. On the top of the first page are the entire Pentax collections of several members. Some have said they are switching to other systems, some have not said why they are selling all their Pentax gear. None have said they are just tired of photography.
04-19-2013, 09:00 AM   #116
Veteran Member

Still no answer? Its the END of the week after the question was posed to Pentax.

I just looked at the Marketplace and what a depressing picture. On the top of the first page are the entire Pentax collections of several members. Some have said they are switching to other systems, some have not said why they are selling all their Pentax gear. None have said they are just tired of photography.
I've noticed the same thing this week - many entire systems up for sale. Now add the fact that Sigma isn't producing their new lenses in Pentax mount....the silence becomes even more deafening.........
04-19-2013, 09:24 AM   #117
Lens Buying Addict

I've noticed the same thing this week - many entire systems up for sale. Now add the fact that Sigma isn't producing their new lenses in Pentax mount....the silence becomes even more deafening.........
Those aren't new members, either. Those are (formerly) long-term commited users who have finally given up.

I'm very close to an "Entire Collection" listing myself, pending my discussion with James Malcolm April 30th.

Last edited by monochrome; 04-19-2013 at 09:32 AM.
04-19-2013, 09:36 AM   #118
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Those aren't new members, either. Those are (formerly) long-term commited users who have finally given up.

I'm very close to an "Entire Collection" listing myself, pending my discussion with James Malcolm April 30th.
I will admit that I have been looking at my options also.

I forgot about your pending discussion - looking forward to hearing your results. But isn't that conversation aimed at the just the Q?
04-19-2013, 12:39 PM - 1 Like   #119
Lens Buying Addict

I will admit that I have been looking at my options also.

I forgot about your pending discussion - looking forward to hearing your results. But isn't that conversation aimed at the just the Q?
Yes, that is the ostensible purpose. One of my presubmitted questions asks about the comment from DPI that the Q is where the excitement is. I also asked how Q fits into the overall product strategy of Pentax Ricoh.

The thing is, I'm not a pro. I don't have any probelms with customers requiring 24x36. I don't need a badge on my camera. I certainly don't need full frame for anything and it would be a toy to me, no matter who makes it.

But I don't have to take photographs at all. I can sell everything and get other camera gear or just get another hobby altogether. I sure as #$%^ don't have to spend my time and personal and emotional capital feeding an affinity for a brand that isn't acting like it wants to compete.
04-19-2013, 02:30 PM - 2 Likes   #120
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
But I don't have to take photographs at all. I can sell everything and get other camera gear or just get another hobby altogether. I sure as #$%^ don't have to spend my time and personal and emotional capital feeding an affinity for a brand that isn't acting like it wants to compete.
You know, I've been trying to figure out why all this stuff bothers me, but can't seem to put my finger on it. No matter what happens with Pentax - they grow or cease to exist - it doesn't make my gear work any differently. Then I think it may be an emotional aspect which I know I should not let bother me. Your last sentence there kind of helped me put a finger on why I might be feeling the way I do right now about Pentax.

And the other issue I mentioned about Sigma not making their new lenses in Pentax mount. That shouldn't bother me either, but it does. Even if I wouldn't want any of these great new lenses and the technology that goes along with them, I would like to have the option to use them if I wanted to.

I think for myself it comes down to me being somewhat of a gear head. The gear shouldn't take a front seat to my creation of images, but it does weigh in quite a bit for me.