Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-12-2013, 07:50 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Straight from the manufacturer... What's not worth just selling them via their distributors? Why the hurry?

...Maybe they urgently need to make room for NEW STUFF!
Makes sense. KEH isn't a new item distributor, and can probably take all the new equipment. New item distributors have limited space to stock items, and it would be difficult for them to hold old items on discount that may not sell, and new items at the same time.

04-12-2013, 07:59 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
A couple of comments:

1) I, personally, do not think the sky is falling.
2) Stan is right - the title was to get attention.
3) There are several threads here that have the "sky is falling" tone this week.
4) The items at KEH appear to be the leftovers from the sale 4-6 weeks ago in Denver of the gear that has been gathering dust at Pentax USA HQ because people there were too lazy to actually do anything with it.
5) Yes, I agree with several that someone (I suggested Adam because he appears to have a good relationship with Pentax) bring these various slips and issues with their incredibly poor marketing to their attention.
6) Glad this got some attention.
04-12-2013, 08:06 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by newmikey Quote
Let it fall! Me and my K-5 don't really care...
As long as you have a WR lens..
04-12-2013, 08:07 AM - 2 Likes   #19
Veteran Member

I'm interested to know, for those that are "worried" about any of this made up make believe you have constructed. Lets say Pentax are broke tomorrow. Would your camera instantly dissolve into hot air? Would you trample it out of shame? Perhaps it would be the final nudge you needed to buy that blouse you have been longing after.

I cant understand why these is so much attention given to this crap.

TAKE PICTURES GORD DARN IT!

#edit. This post needs some smiles or someone will take it as aggressive..

:P

Last edited by tromboads; 04-12-2013 at 08:24 AM.
04-12-2013, 09:05 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Maybe the new managemant opent a door and thought, "Why is all this gear here in the office?"
That makes the most sense to me. Clear out the inventory, truly discontinue the older first rounds of for-digital lenses, make a new/current lens roadmap all seem like smart things to me. Of course it doesn't help when retailers like BH mark lenses discontinued every time their stock runs out (that goes for cameras too). Hopefully by the end of the year Pentax users will get new products that truly show what Ricoh's vision of Pentax will be. I don't know if the K-30 is truly theirs, but the K-5ii/s, K-01 and Q are all clearly hoya generated products that are (at least the latter 2) being pushed out the door.
04-12-2013, 09:43 AM - 1 Like   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Would ignoring the rumors and just continuing to take pictures make a good submission for the "It's Good to be FEARLESS" competition?

I know, it's too late for submissions, but on my screen, the two threads are next to each other, and I am bemused by the contrast...
04-12-2013, 10:30 AM   #22
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
this would be a place where someone at Pentax USA could actually communicate something useful
It would be a great place for that if only they had someone who was both willing and capable. I haven't yet figured out if Pentax Japan restricts information to its reps, or if we just haven't had any before now who care enough to find out what's going on and pass the information along.

04-12-2013, 10:42 AM   #23
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Straight from the manufacturer... What's not worth just selling them via their distributors? Why the hurry?

...Maybe they urgently need to make room for NEW STUFF!
The KEH stuff is refurbed warranty returns, not new stock. All the major photo companies do this, either through a factory store or sold at lot to places like KEH, B&H, and Adorama.

Steve
04-12-2013, 11:25 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
The KEH stuff is refurbed warranty returns, not new stock. All the major photo companies do this, either through a factory store or sold at lot to places like KEH, B&H, and Adorama.

Steve
It's good to see PRIAC show signs of exercising some business sense. Converting the better part of $1M worth of inventory that they've been sitting on far too long (some of that stuff is nearly a decade old) into something useful like distribution channel or marketing seems like a no-brainer.
04-12-2013, 11:26 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
There are several threads here that are basically - The Pentax Sky is Falling!
I couldn't understand some of the hysteria at one point but someone here once stated it is like they are hardcore fans who are overly concerned for their favorite sports team. I also think there is a certain amount of exaggeration with some weaknesses the brand has such as autofocus. I have photographed plenty of birds in flight for example. It doesn't seem to do as well as some other much more expensive cameras but it can do it.
04-12-2013, 11:41 AM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Hm, the cynical responses to the OP might be right, but I think it would in fact be good that Pentax knew about all these weird slips in their marketing department. And that we notice them. So just listing these things and telling the Pentax representatives about this (maybe even send an email to Japan) might make them take action. Sad truth is, with bad ads, you won't get good sales.
(oh and btw, this forum is probably the best "ad" for Pentax, at least in the "western" market, EU, NA, Aus)
Pentax should already know without Adam doing their job for them. If no one in the Pentax organization is smart enough (or cares enough) to watch PF, then they won't be smart enough to understand anything we forward to them.
04-12-2013, 11:57 AM - 3 Likes   #27
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I'll have an official answer for you guys shortly. Rumors like these are very frustrating for manufacturers so I'm sure we'll get a prompt response

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-12-2013, 12:19 PM   #28
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I'll have an official answer for you guys shortly. Rumors like these are very frustrating for manufacturers so I'm sure we'll get a prompt response
Thank you. And as I noted in one of the MASS HYSTERIA PARANOIA THREADS, I actually found all this speculation and confusion a nice change from all the threads about FF and other things that have little to do with taking better pictures with the gear we all currently have and/or posting them for comment, criticism or the enjoyment of others.
04-12-2013, 12:22 PM   #29
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
Pentax should already know without Adam doing their job for them. If no one in the Pentax organization is smart enough (or cares enough) to watch PF, then they won't be smart enough to understand anything we forward to them.
I don't agree with this, and I suspect others see value in our feeding back our thoughts to Pentax. One thing that is painfully obvious - if stores aren't getting stock of Pentax items - and that does seem to be a broad problem for many items of interest - the Pentax gear won't be showing up in the store flyers or in the promo space on their web sites. I'll note that one of the main reasons I ended up with a Pentax rather than another brand is that when I went camera shopping, and wasn't even planning to get a DSLR at the time, the store had no Nikon stock because of the floods in Thailand. So I was "forced" to try out the Pentax and liked the way it handled in my hands.
04-12-2013, 12:23 PM   #30
hcc
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Adam, Thanks. That would be very helpful and interesting..