Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 50 Likes Search this Thread
04-14-2013, 11:37 AM   #76
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Or 4. People at PF stop their wild, unsubstatiated, rumors and wait patiently for an answer to Adam's inquiry.
Never happen. Or, if it did I would assume the sky really IS falling...........

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
Wouldn't the $600,000 figure refer to the selling price? I expect KEH paid $300,000.
Possibly. I doubt they actually quoted what they paid. Here's the actual quote:
QuoteQuote:
"We've just added $600,000 in digital Pentax gear to our inventory. That's more than 2,500 Pentax items that are available now and ready to ship. "
It could mean selling price, or it could be the price they paid or it could be the original list price at retail. I looked through everything and did not buy. Just wasn't anything there on my list. I do note that they have a good number of the hard to find (lately) DA 12-24.

04-14-2013, 01:02 PM   #77

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by newmikey Quote
Let me sum it up quickly:

1. Pentax is about to release an FF - some people will be ecstatic, a few will buy it, others will ignore it and all will continue shooting.
2. Pentax is about to release a new APS-C body - some people will be ecstatic, a few will buy it, others will ignore it and all will continue shooting.
3. Pentax disappears as camera-brand - some people will be ecstatic, a few will sell their equipment , others will ignore it and all will continue shooting.

In other words:stop fussing! If you need FF now, there are lots of nice cameras on the market to purchase. If you want Pentax to survive as a brand, nothing you do (or don't do) will influence that - brands and companies come and go, photography will not change much as such. If you enjoy photography as a hobby or live from it as a profession: just go on doing what the heck it was you did until now.
+1
04-14-2013, 01:08 PM   #78
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
It probably was sold to cover his salary and stock options

I KID
I didn't see that part until I read it the second time. I was about to reply, "Oh, that's cold. I'm sure many here could do a better job for $10,000 a month."

Last edited by monochrome; 04-14-2013 at 01:32 PM.
04-14-2013, 01:10 PM   #79
Veteran Member

The sky falls a lot in my area - rain.

I think it helps understanding the news to take a look at the overall camera market.

I've Got Good News, I've Got Bad News | Sans Mirror ? mirrorless, interchangeable lens cameras | Thom Hogan

QuoteQuote:
Unit volume is down significantly in compacts, up slightly in DSLRs, and basically flat in mirrorless. That, as you might expect, is the bad news. The pressures that were present in 2012—lower compact camera volume, slight interchangeable lens camera growth—are still with us in spades. Worse still, the production numbers show some continued mild inventory buildup at the camera companies; they're not shipping everything they're making. Buried in those numbers was another interesting number: unit shipments to North America of mirrorless cameras were only 69% in 2013 what they were in 2012
Nikon recently or still has a significant sale in DSLR lenses. Camera/lenses are a luxury item to most of the population, not including the small number of professionals. Economic times are still rough in many countries. Worse for the. camera companies, Phones with cameras are still chewing up large portions of the compact camera market.

I think one telling point about the KEH sales is that they are not giving away those lenses. The price for the lens i'm looking at is about where it was before the lens acquisition. The second telling point is that KEH spent money to get those lenses which means there is a market out there for Pentax lenses. I will probably buy one of those lenses :-)

Only Canon and Nikon made profits this last year - can't find the article now. There seems to be major adjustments going on in the camera market, due to advent of large number of FF sensors, camera phones, and mirrorless. How's it all going to play out. Don't think anyone really knows.

But its an opportunity for the knowledgeable buyer to obtain some heavily discounted equipment to assist with their photography.

04-14-2013, 01:30 PM   #80
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
Wouldn't the $600,000 figure refer to the selling price? I expect KEH paid $300,000.
Whatever - the point is the old Pentax was too lazy to dispose of this remainder/return stock. KEH has been around for a while.
04-14-2013, 01:45 PM   #81
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
The sky falls a lot in my area - rain.
Only Canon and Nikon made profits this last year - can't find the article now. There seems to be major adjustments going on in the camera market, due to advent of large number of FF sensors, camera phones, and mirrorless. How's it all going to play out. Don't think anyone really knows.
But its an opportunity for the knowledgeable buyer to obtain some heavily discounted equipment to assist with their photography.
PRIC, in the first several years of joint operation, don't need a cent of profit to make, as long as they have devised a plan to break even. Then very thin profits to make new wave of technology advances possible. And if I was wearing thinking hats of their strategists, I'd develop a business plan with that in mind first. Because in not so distant future — due to very adverse economy situation worldwide (the situation in the financial sectors is still unresolved, or better to say, even after the heavy crisis they still play the leading tune, almost uncensored), the success of many smart companies will depend on that.
04-14-2013, 03:24 PM   #82
Veteran Member

The silence is becoming deafening.

Edit to add: just saw monochrome's sig - similar thought.

04-14-2013, 03:28 PM   #83
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by newmikey Quote
Let me sum it up quickly:

1. Pentax is about to release an FF - some people will be ecstatic, a few will buy it, others will ignore it and all will continue shooting.
2. Pentax is about to release a new APS-C body - some people will be ecstatic, a few will buy it, others will ignore it and all will continue shooting.
3. Pentax disappears as camera-brand - some people will be ecstatic, a few will sell their equipment , others will ignore it and all will continue shooting.

In other words:stop fussing! If you need FF now, there are lots of nice cameras on the market to purchase. If you want Pentax to survive as a brand, nothing you do (or don't do) will influence that - brands and companies come and go, photography will not change much as such. If you enjoy photography as a hobby or live from it as a profession: just go on doing what the heck it was you did until now.
Lol, there is no FF and no non-FF. Even if Pentax produce a cracking FF camera tomorrow, there will be those for whom it is an impostor. They will still call for the establishment of the magical kingdom of Prester John a digital clone of the K1000.

1. Pentax is about to release an FF - a few people will be ecstatic, very few will buy it (though many will claim to be buying it), no one will ignore it and all will continue posting to FF rumours threads on Pentax Forums
2. Pentax is about to release a new APS-C body - more than a few people will be ecstatic, a lot will buy it, almost no one will ignore it and nearly all will continue posting to FF rumours threads on Pentax Forums
3. Pentax disappears as camera-brand - RiceHigh will be ecstatic, a lot will sell their equipment, no one will ignore it and a very, very few will continue posting to FF rumours threads on Pentax Forums
04-14-2013, 03:40 PM   #84
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

I fear we will have a situation, once it's announced, or released, like we had with the k-5 when it was new. We had people complaining about it right from the start. No new product is going to be flawless and though the string of pearls issue was a legitimate complaint, it wasn't even the fault of Pentax as they didn't produce the sensor. We even had one member banned as a troll for relentlessly bashing Pentax for the issue even though it had absolutely zero effect on him personally as he hadn't even seen one, let alone bought one. I hope we don't have a repeat of that.
04-14-2013, 07:16 PM   #85
Veteran Member

It's funny, my nikon problem (dust) was easily discernable at a distance... even on the LCD you could easily see it.

The string of pearls... I had to look for.
04-14-2013, 07:38 PM   #86
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
It's funny, my nikon problem (dust) was easily discernable at a distance... even on the LCD you could easily see it.

The string of pearls... I had to look for.
In a mirror......
04-14-2013, 07:57 PM - 1 Like   #87
Veteran Member

Welcome to PentaxForums, where every day is the Zombie Apocalypse.
04-14-2013, 09:44 PM - 1 Like   #88
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
John it sounds like you're so busy, I'm surprised you have time to comment on this thread. (You see folks, he's actually out taking pictures! ) Hey I just got my issue of RoadRunner, and I see that you'll be conducting a moto-photo workshop for the Maggie Valley event. Congratulations and good work!
04-16-2013, 05:04 PM   #89
Veteran Member

Original Poster
No response at the end of the second business day of the week in the continental US?
04-16-2013, 09:50 PM   #90
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
No response at the end of the second business day of the week in the continental US?
Do they really care about Pentax community?