Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 50 Likes Search this Thread
04-19-2013, 02:46 PM - 1 Like   #121
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
You know, I've been trying to figure out why all this stuff bothers me, but can't seem to put my finger on it. No matter what happens with Pentax - they grow or cease to exist - it doesn't make my gear work any differently. Then I think it may be an emotional aspect which I know I should not let bother me. Your last sentence there kind of helped me put a finger on why I might be feeling the way I do right now about Pentax.

And the other issue I mentioned about Sigma not making their new lenses in Pentax mount. That shouldn't bother me either, but it does. Even if I wouldn't want any of these great new lenses and the technology that goes along with them, I would like to have the option to use them if I wanted to.

I think for myself it comes down to me being somewhat of a gear head. The gear shouldn't take a front seat to my creation of images, but it does weigh in quite a bit for me.
I agree with you Stan and would add that I have invested in Pentax's system, but honestly it doesn't appear that Pentax is investing in the system. Other companies seem to get that they have to service their loyal core owners/customers and leverage them as unpaid ambassadors of the brand. What bothers me is that Pentax has some good gear, some excellent gear, and lots of holes in both their equipment and their personnel. They keep personnel that really don't know the system, don't display any real enthusiasm for the brand, and dis us as loyal customers by snubbing this forum and not even answering questions that have raised some concern among even the most ardent supporters of the brand. Seems we care more about Pentax then the paid employees - most of whom appear to treat this as just another job in a series of them.

04-19-2013, 03:23 PM   #122
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
My Questions Remains Simple - What happened to the predicted "Announcement" of the new cameras this month? Nothing as of yet, really wish they'd say something, as my K-5 is seeming rather ancient relative to the Toshiba sensor cameras.
04-19-2013, 03:29 PM   #123
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Eulogy Quote
My Questions Remains Simple - What happened to the predicted "Announcement" of the new cameras this month? Nothing as of yet, really wish they'd say something, as my K-5 is seeming rather ancient relative to the Toshiba sensor cameras.
I think someone forgot to tell Pentax that they were supposed to be announcing new cameras this month.
04-19-2013, 03:31 PM   #124
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
I think someone forgot to tell Pentax that they were supposed to be announcing new cameras this month.
Probably. I suppose they also forgot to tell them that they're competitive in some areas, and shouldn't just release watches?

04-19-2013, 03:32 PM   #125
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
(oh and btw, this forum is probably the best "ad" for Pentax, at least in the "western" market, EU, NA, Aus)
I wish more forum members realized this- most people interested in a Pentax will google around and this forum comes up right away.
When I was researching cameras to buy I looked at ALL the brands pro/cons online and read alot of forum comments to see how each camera 'really' faired.
So overly negative posts really just give potential new buyers doubts and are self perpetuating in that respect.
04-19-2013, 03:40 PM   #126
Inactive Account

They should give every Forum member over 1000 posts a free lens! Just don't do it till 'I' hit 1000 though!
04-19-2013, 03:48 PM   #127
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
They keep personnel that really don't know the system, don't display any real enthusiasm for the brand, and dis us as loyal customers by snubbing this forum and not even answering questions that have raised some concern among even the most ardent supporters of the brand. Seems we care more about Pentax then the paid employees - most of whom appear to treat this as just another job in a series of them.
It takes exceptional and inspired leadership to motivate employees to invest the emotional capital in the company that an entrepreneur has. It can be done. But it is extremely difficult and takes a powerful, outgoing, charismatic leader who is willing to get out in front of his employees and his customers and explain his/her vision and passion. I don't see Ricoh being that type of company. Pentax (the brand) could be. I get excited thinking about what could be done with just a little inspiration, marketing and vision. But I don't see it happening. I would love to take a crack at it, taking a lost cause and building a powerhouse company. But sadly I don't think the corporate structure allows for it. Those employees are probably good folks trying to earn a living and do a good job but they won't be allowed to think outside the box or take risks.

And let's face it, having a presence on this forum (or any other) is a huge risk. We have already seen (many times) that simple conversations get misinterpreted to a point of no longer even resembling the original statement. And then Pentax gets accused of not delivering on something that they actually said they were not going to do.

To be fair this forum (and the online world) moves at a completely different pace than the real world. It is fine for us to say: you should do this or that, you should improve this or change that but much harder to actually make it happen. I am confident that if Pentax could improve the AF system they would. I am confident that if Pentax could release a new FF camera this month they would. I really doubt they are holding those things back just to make us mad.

04-19-2013, 03:53 PM   #128
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Tonto Quote
I wish more forum members realized this- most people interested in a Pentax will google around and this forum comes up right away.
When I was researching cameras to buy I looked at ALL the brands pro/cons online and read alot of forum comments to see how each camera 'really' faired.
So overly negative posts really just give potential new buyers doubts and are self perpetuating in that respect.
I did the same thing before buying a K30. This is a fantastic resource for Pentax (whether the corporate group-think knows it or not), I've been happy with my decision thus far.

Your statement is especially true when the negative statements come from administrators, or people whose names are in a different color and appear to be important contributors to this community.
04-19-2013, 04:04 PM   #129
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jcdoss Quote
I did the same thing before buying a K30. This is a fantastic resource for Pentax (whether the corporate group-think knows it or not), I've been happy with my decision thus far.

Your statement is especially true when the negative statements come from administrators, or people whose names are in a different color and appear to be important contributors to this community.
Not all those people with names in different colors are admins or moderators for that matter. As far as I know, the admins and mods are all pro-Pentax equipment, although we do get a little irritated at some of the things the company does - or doesn't do. For example, we had hoped that when Pentax had their 'scratch and dent" sale a few weeks back, they would open it up to forum members, but they decided not to.
04-19-2013, 04:35 PM   #130
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Yes, that is the ostensible purpose. One of my presubmitted questions 8tasks about the comment from DPI that the Q is where the excitement is. I also asked how Q fits into the overall product strategy of Pentax Ricoh.

The thing is, I'm not a pro. I don't have any probelms with customers requiring 24x36. I don't need a badge on my camera. I certainly don't need full frame for anything and it would be a toy to me, no matter who makes it.

But I don't have to take photographs at all. I can sell everything and get other camera gear or just get another hobby altogether. I sure as #$%^ don't have to spend my time and personal and emotional capital feeding an affinity for a brand that isn't acting like it wants to compete.
I am real surprised to hear you say all this. It is a 180 from the "be of good cheer" mentality
04-19-2013, 04:42 PM   #131
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If I was absolutely convinced a Pentax camera and lenses could make a photograph no other camera and lenses could make with my limited skill then it would make sense to fret. But I don't suppose that's really true other than maybe one of the FA Limiteds.
04-19-2013, 04:44 PM   #132
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jcdoss Quote
I don't know anything about the different colors, never noticed. You do have a good point, if we want the forum to be a good ambassador we should act that way. I know my sarcasm gets the better of me sometimes. Still, one of the things I love about this forum is there are no fanbois. We call it like we see it and praise the dickens out of the good things and criticize the bad.

Sometimes we get a little nostalgic about the 'good ol days' and our Takumars. Sometimes we get a little too critical of a company that I am sure is doing their level best even if we don't see it. And sometimes we actually go out and shoot pictures instead of hanging out here and moaning about Pentax.
04-19-2013, 04:51 PM   #133
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
If I was absolutely convinced a Pentax camera and lenses could make a photograph no other camera and lenses could make with my limited skill then it would make sense to fret. But I don't suppose that's really true other than maybe one of the FA Limiteds.
Maybe part of the problem is that Pentax knows that. So they have a hard time understanding why people are so enthusiastic about something that a number of other companies do just as well.

You are absolutely correct, anyone here could sell all their Pentax gear and buy Nikon, Canon, Sony, Fuji or Panasonic and make pictures just as good. And as we have seen many are doing just that for what seem to them valid reasons. Maybe some day I will have to make that decision too but at this point, much as I complain at times, there is very little reason for me to change brands I am happy with what I have right now. As my skills increase or I want to do something different well, when the time comes that the gear I have is not up to my skill set then it is time to make hard choices but right now I am still learning, still improving and still liking my Pentax.
04-19-2013, 05:29 PM   #134
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Maybe part of the problem is that Pentax knows that. So they have a hard time understanding why people are so enthusiastic about something that a number of other companies do just as well.

You are absolutely correct, anyone here could sell all their Pentax gear and buy Nikon, Canon, Sony, Fuji or Panasonic and make pictures just as good. And as we have seen many are doing just that for what seem to them valid reasons. Maybe some day I will have to make that decision too but at this point, much as I complain at times, there is very little reason for me to change brands I am happy with what I have right now. As my skills increase or I want to do something different well, when the time comes that the gear I have is not up to my skill set then it is time to make hard choices but right now I am still learning, still improving and still liking my Pentax.

All too true. I like my gear. I have bought a few things lately but nothing essential. I currently own all three sizes of Pentax Q-K01-K5 and a wide array of lenses, heck even my new (to me) 540 flash. I see flashes of brilliance in Pentax and wish it were more frequent and sustained. All that said, I have no desire as I have said several times for a FF camera - I simply want them to step up their game. The recent departures of some longer-term Pentaxians is of concern in that regard because so many show up after selling their Pentax gear with FF Canikon gear.
04-19-2013, 06:01 PM - 1 Like   #135
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
All too true. I like my gear. I have bought a few things lately but nothing essential. I currently own all three sizes of Pentax Q-K01-K5 and a wide array of lenses, heck even my new (to me) 540 flash. I see flashes of brilliance in Pentax and wish it were more frequent and sustained. All that said, I have no desire as I have said several times for a FF camera - I simply want them to step up their game. The recent departures of some longer-term Pentaxians is of concern in that regard because so many show up after selling their Pentax gear with FF Canikon gear.
Pentax have never made an FF digital camera. Why anyone wanting one buying a Pentax in the first place is a mystery. Theres no net departure from Pentax. They are increasing their share - people are buying Pentax gear coming from Nikon and Canon. Some are switching to Pentax 645 from Nikon and Canon. If you want to use Sigma lenses buy a camera that take Sigma lenses. End of story...