Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 50 Likes Search this Thread
04-20-2013, 07:24 PM   #196
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Sometimes I think we care more about the brand than they do. I'd bet any one of us living within 100 miles of Ace would have stepped in if asked.

Cabellas, Bass Pro, REI, Dick's Sporting Goods (near the Scopes and Binoculars- do they have Pentax? - unless they follow through on the "No More Guns" threat). There are dozens of small outdoor chains like The Alpine Shop in Missouri. There are dozens of catalog outdoor retailers in addition to REI.
There is a pull through opportunity right there - that I had not even considered. Use Pentax Scopes and Binoculars as a way of introduction in-order to pull in/cross sell the weather resistant cameras and lenses.

04-20-2013, 07:35 PM   #197
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
There is a pull through opportunity right there - that I had not even considered. Use Pentax Scopes and Binoculars as a way of introduction in-order to pull in/cross sell the weather resistant cameras and lenses.

Pentax Red Dot Finder and Q (see barondla and crewl1 in the Q Forum. How hard could it be? We're doing it all right here!
04-20-2013, 07:45 PM   #198
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Pentax Red Dot Finder and Q (see barondla and crewl1 in the Q Forum. How hard could it be? We're doing it all right here!
You know I was just going to post that, but I remembered I gave all the attribution to crew1 the last time I referenced it. I was going to get it right and look it up to get both of them this time.

This could be the "correct" use of the red dot scope on birds! Sponsor a birding contest, with a first place prize of a Q, Q/K adapter (with foot), a Red Dot scope along with a DA 55-300 lens. Have it judged by the Audubon Society. The ultimate birding kit.

Do a product placement with the Q on Burn Notice. Have Fiona pull the Q out of her purse, switching to the 06 lens for a real close up....

Last edited by interested_observer; 04-20-2013 at 07:57 PM.
04-20-2013, 07:56 PM   #199
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
You know I was just going to post that, but I remembered I gave all the attribution to crew1 the last time I referenced it. I was going to get it right and look it up to get both of them this time.

This could be the "correct" use of the red dot scope on birds! Sponsor a birding contest, with a first place prize of a Q, Q/K adapter (with foot), a Red Dot scope along with a DA 55-300 DA*300 lens. Have it judged by the Audubon Society. The ultimate birding kit.

Do a product placement with the Q on Burn Notice.

There was actually someone doing the Q>K before barondla but I can't remember who it was. Larry would know.

Larry says the DA*300 is the best Pentax lens with the Q>K Converter. His mission in life is to prove the Q / Q>K / (Pentax long lens) can exceed the quality of a Bigma.

Larry and Hans have done yeoman work compiling the lens test thread - I was down to help but I could never get Google Docs to work.

04-20-2013, 08:01 PM   #200
bvg
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
What do you like about it exactly? (I'm considering Subaru.)
It can carry a lot of Pentax equipment!
04-20-2013, 09:14 PM   #201
Veteran Member

I have a 2010 Impreza Outback Sport - which was not a real Outback but a trim level on the smaller Impreza. Today, I believe the corresponding vehicle would be the Impreza Sport. I have the 2.5-liter 171 horsepower four cylinder with manual transmission. Frankly, the car has character and is fun to drive - which are my main concerns. It has also been trouble- free. Fuel mileage is mid 20's (remember, this is an all-wheel drive vehicle) but the new, 2.0-liter models do better. The AWD is seemless and enhances driving dynamics in the dry and provides extra traction in wet and snow.
04-20-2013, 09:35 PM   #202
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Everything.

The all wheel drive is great in the winter.

Mine is the Legacy with the 2.2 liter flat 4, and 5 speed manual. Plenty of power, and the speedo goes to 140 mph for a reason.

This little car gets with it!

I had it up to 140 plus in Nevada a few years back while driving down to Vegas. Most enjoyable! It also handles very well, and has very good brakes.

The car is comfortable even on long trips, gets great fuel economy (I average 25 to 30 mpg, depending on how I drive), the only thing I have spent money on in 75,000 miles is gas, oil changes and I wore the original tires out at about 65,000 miles.

The only down side is the headlights. They work great, they are the projection beam type. The problem is that the bulbs live in a tiny cavity, and the heat is hard on them. I had the dealer replace each side a couple times before the warranty expired. And since then I have replaced them a couple more times. In fact when I get home Tuesday the left one needs replaced again.

And it hauls my Pentax gear around quite well too.

04-20-2013, 11:43 PM   #203
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Johnson Quote
Wow you respawned quickly, why isn't Sigma giving Pentax the third party support they used to give. Are all the camera and lens manufacturers making stupid mistakes, except for Richo/Pentax !
It has been years since Sigma introduced a lens for Pentax first hand.
They always wait a couple weeks.
AFAIK the 35/1.4 is brand new and is now available (at least announced) has it not?

So what the heck? This forum looks most are chicken which lost their head and run everywhere
And btw, we should separate the US than the rest in this forum IMO. It really looks like there's Pentax US and nothing else.
There're places where it actually works.
04-21-2013, 07:35 AM   #204
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by steppenfuchs Quote
I don't know if there's such thing as good censorship, but I think this thread should be deleted, or made available only to senior users. I'm a new wannabe Pentax user, and ever since this thread appeared I've put my purchases on an indefinite hold.
Please ignore the doomsday predictions from some of the posters.

I'm confident that Pentax has a great future ahead of them.

Some are getting impatient with Ricoh taking so long to make their impact felt. But I'm sure the wait will be worth it.

In the meantime, get a K-5 II(s) and enjoy! Brilliant camera.
04-21-2013, 07:38 AM   #205
Site Supporter

Tamron, Sigma and Tokina have been reducing support going back to at least the begging of the Hoya boys' take over of Pentax. It will take a while for it to reverse.

Last edited by Blue; 04-21-2013 at 08:00 AM.
04-21-2013, 08:04 AM   #206
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Please ignore the doomsday predictions from some of the posters.

I'm confident that Pentax has a great future ahead of them.

Some are getting impatient with Ricoh taking so long to make their impact felt. But I'm sure the wait will be worth it.

In the meantime, get a K-5 II(s) and enjoy! Brilliant camera.
Also please understand that many of the doomsday posters (perhaps including me in this thread) refer as much to Pentax USA (Pentax Ricoh Americas Co.) historically as to Pentax Ricoh Imaging. It is difficult to distinguish the USA distributor actions from the parent company strategy and tactics here.
04-21-2013, 08:51 AM   #207
Pentaxian

Also please understand that many of the doomsday posters (perhaps including me in this thread) refer as much to Pentax USA (Pentax Ricoh Americas Co.) historically as to Pentax Ricoh Imaging. It is difficult to distinguish the USA distributor actions from the parent company strategy and tactics here.
Indeed!

I actually meant to mention this too, but forgot to.

Pentax USA has been hopeless in the past and we'll have to see whether they can improve their performance. Much of the frustration felt in the forum stems from inadequate Pentax USA actions / inactions.

Pentax Japan is a completely different matter, though! It is Pentax Japan that produces the great products and I'm keeping my fingers crossed for them. One can deplore that Pentax Japan isn't very chatty and one very rarely hears from them, but I don't care that much as long as they are producing these very impressive DSLRs.
04-21-2013, 09:33 PM - 2 Likes   #208
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Are we a photography forum or a camera gear acquisition forum? Yes, a lot of folks are selling their gear. The other side of the equation is that a lot of folks are buying it from them, so no net loss. Many folks need FF and many others do not. The latter group will use it for awhile, get home sick for Pentax and return for the build quality, image quality and the primes. I know I did. LBA and CBA can become an end in and of themselves no matter what brand one is shooting. I had a D800, but didn't like the size, weight or the plastic Nikon primes. The K-5IIS and the limiteds feel like jewels in comparison. Go to the Pentax imaging website or some of the galleries on this forum. How many gorgeous photos were taken with the istD, K10, K20, K-7, KX, or a KR? The K-5 IIS does not have 51 auto focus points, dual card slots, etc., etc., but for many of us it has all that we will need for some time to come. I for one am greatly appreciating its simplicity.
04-21-2013, 10:10 PM   #209
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have a 2004 Outback H-6 3.0 (LL Bean). I love the handling, the visibility and the quality finish. I bought mine used at 53,00 miles in 2008 and it has been reliable and without need for major repairs. It has almost 89,000 miles now and could probably make it for another 100,000 with good care. It isn't hybrid, gas mileage is not that great, it doesn't have blue tooth or navigation (that's what iPhones are for), but it gets the job done and doesn't break the bank. Sort of like Pentax...
04-21-2013, 10:32 PM   #210
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by loveisageless Quote
Are we a photography forum or a camera gear acquisition forum?
Pentax Forums - K-5, K-30, K-01, 645D - The Largest Pentax Camera Forum, News, and Review Site

So I would say it is a forum that is generally by and for Pentax owners and enthusiasts, and with that goes anything that is related to cameras and photography.