Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-13-2013, 12:13 AM   #31
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't see any sense to launch the same camera as Coolpix A for the same price and with the same specs...
The same situation was with Japanese car-manufacturers. It's really disappointing.
No any new idea at all. It's one of the sample of fake competition.

The same situation is the launching of MX-1 = the copy of XZ-1 inside

Last edited by ogl; 04-13-2013 at 03:12 AM.
04-13-2013, 12:17 AM - 2 Likes   #32
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
28mm. Some Japanese will always be Japanese. But some still learn new tricks, like Fuji.
I can bet that the immense popularity of the X100 was because of the 35mm equiv. lens, not 28mm.
It's the same reason Pentax still does not have a 35mm equiv. DA lens, and probably never will.
Damn pride about wrong things. They will rather sink with the ship than admit they are wrong in certain matters.

I can bet that if Ricoh had thought twice, and issues the GR with a 35mm lens, or even 43mm lens model, it would be an instant classic and immediately compared to X100 and placed ABOVE the Coolpix A.

28mm simply does not ring as good or as desirable as 35mm anywhere in the west. It's one of those "What the ..." focal lengths, that only some of more serious photographers may appreciate. The camera will have followers, but it won't be nowhere as hit as the X100 .. or the Leica X2 (if it were $1000 cheaper. :-)
DONATE IDEA to Pentax Ricoh
- Produce APS-C full weather-proof compact camera w/o AA filter with fast fixed zoom or with fast fixed prime. It will be the best-seller for street and landscape+travel. Small and compact with outstanding IQ. Take new Ricoh GR with 18/2.8 lens and make WR version of such camera. Or develop 18-35/3.5-4.5 compact zoom (28-53 mm equiv) for such camera. Or put 28/1.9 lens. THERE ARE NO ANY PHOTO COMPANY who offers such product.

Last edited by ogl; 04-13-2013 at 04:51 AM.
04-13-2013, 01:00 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
I don't see any sense to launch the same camera as Coolpix A for the same price and with the same specs...
The same situation was with Japanese car-manufacturers. It's really disappointing.
No any new idea at all. It's one more sample of fake competition.

You could just as easily say it's Nikon who are the copy-cats, acting on advance information. Besides, maybe it's better to wait for the full specs. For example, I don't think we know what the camera will look like, what focusing system it uses, whether it has OVF/EVF and so forth, and what its build quality is like. At the moment it sounds like a natural progression of the Ricoh family and perhaps is yet another pre-merger project finally seeing the light of day (If there is no Pentax input), in which case one presumes it will have been tailored for the kind of folks who like Ricoh cameras. They aren't necessarily the same folks who like Pentax or Nikon cameras.
04-13-2013, 02:13 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mecrox Quote
For example, I don't think we know what the camera will look like, what focusing system it uses, whether it has OVF/EVF and so forth, and what its build quality is like. At the moment it sounds like a natural progression of the Ricoh family and perhaps is yet another pre-merger project finally seeing the light of day (If there is no Pentax input), in which case one presumes it will have been tailored for the kind of folks who like Ricoh cameras.
Similar to the GR1 means it's more the size of a GXR than a GRD, so to me it sounds like a hybrid between the GXR and the GRD and so effectively discontinuing both those lines to consolidate into this new GR line.

I still recall a much earlier rumour about them developing a series of variations of the GRD, even a monochrome version, so perhaps there will be a 35mm variant down the track as per the Sigma DP models instead of doing it the modular GXR way.

I hope the VF-2 EVF I bought for the GXR continues to work on any new Ricoh cameras. The original GR had a VF so it should be a feature of any new GR model as well I'd say, especially with a body larger than the current GRD to allow space for an EVF port.

04-13-2013, 03:11 AM   #35
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by mecrox Quote
You could just as easily say it's Nikon who are the copy-cats, acting on advance information. Besides, maybe it's better to wait for the full specs. For example, I don't think we know what the camera will look like, what focusing system it uses, whether it has OVF/EVF and so forth, and what its build quality is like. At the moment it sounds like a natural progression of the Ricoh family and perhaps is yet another pre-merger project finally seeing the light of day (If there is no Pentax input), in which case one presumes it will have been tailored for the kind of folks who like Ricoh cameras. They aren't necessarily the same folks who like Pentax or Nikon cameras.
The camera looks like GRD. I'm sure that the camera is really cool, but I don't like clones.

The clones indicate that the photo company has no any fresh ideas at all.
MX-1 and GR are wake-up call.

Such policy could end in this way sooner or later

As for me...I don't need any photo tools...
I have 28 mm compact APS-C camera (A12 28). I have 36 mm (FA*24/2) lens - but heavy and big. I have no 42 mm.
I would prefer - 35/2 or 42/2 - instread 28 mm. But...I don't care.

Fortunately, I watch Japanese photo brands do at the market just with irony. They do what they want first of all, not what the customer needs.

Last edited by ogl; 04-13-2013 at 04:47 AM.
04-13-2013, 11:36 AM   #36
MSM
Veteran Member

@Uluru: Funny I was just thinking the same thing. I would love for Ricoh to come out with a compact ala Fuji X100s with an eFL of 35 or as you suggest a 43 (to me even better) and make it an f /2. I would love that. Especially if they can keep the price around 1 k or less USD.
04-13-2013, 11:51 AM   #37
Pentaxian

The camera looks like GRD. I'm sure that the camera is really cool, but I don't like clones.

The clones indicate that the photo company has no any fresh ideas at all.
MX-1 and GR are wake-up call.
Following on a good idea is a bad thing? Really?

As for me...I don't need any photo tools...
[...]
Fortunately, I watch Japanese photo brands do at the market just with irony. They do what they want first of all, not what the customer needs.
Funny. You're not a customer, you don't need anything - but you're telling them what to do.

04-13-2013, 02:54 PM   #38
Banned

No any new idea at all. It's one of the sample of fake competition.

No, I think it's something else. If they think about the fixed lens compact camera, traditional Japanese photography company will think — 28mm lens. Nikon did it as an exercise, a slightly more upmarket product in otherwise boring Coolpix range that extends over a decade of R&D investment and the economy of scale. I believe the production of the Coolpix A costs Nikon close to nil of extra cost, but the margins are much higher.

Ricoh's GR has been very much same product for 20+ years now, and of course, one with a 28mm lens. That is tradition. Leica would never issue a fixed lens camera with a 28mm lens; they know that would a total fiasco in their market. But Ricoh, and Nikon, of course. If Pentax did the same, they'd probably go for something odd, like, 31mm, or 37 mm. Maybe even 43mm.

But Ricoh wants to make its die hard users happy first. Then the rest of us — if ever.

When thinking about it, I wonder whether something Anthony and Mecrox somewhat touched above is possible ... one model with a 28mm and one with a 35mm lens; even if the latter is branded as Pentax. One for the Japanese market, and one for the western.

But God knows. I think we expect too much anyway, building unrealistic expectations because of the prolonged time of silence.

Ps. I wonder which colour options will be available for the GR; if there is red and blue Spiderman edition, I'm all for it :-D

Last edited by Uluru; 04-13-2013 at 05:13 PM.
04-13-2013, 06:22 PM   #39
JPT
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Photorumors.com has posted some more detailed specs.
The new Ricoh Digital GR camera to be announced next week (additional specifications available) | Photo Rumors
Not sure what their source is, but here's what they say.

Here are some additional specifications for the upcoming Ricoh GR compact camera:

- The new Ricoh GR will have a new processor called GR Engine 5.
- Very fast and improved AF and start-up time.
- No anti-aliasing (AA) filter.
- High ISO up to 25,600
- 1080P at 30fps HD video recording capabilities with continuous AF (H.264 format).
- Built-in stereo mic.
- The 28mm f/2.8 lens is completely re-designed and will have a 9 blades aperture.
- Ricoh will also offer a wide angle conversion lens (GW-3) with a 21mm focal length.
- The new GR will be compatible with Eye-Fi memory cards.
- The US price will be around $800.
- Announcement is next week. Shipping should start in May, 2013.
04-13-2013, 06:47 PM   #40
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
The new Ricoh Digital GR camera to be announced next week (additional specifications available) | Photo Rumors

Here are some additional specifications for the upcoming Ricoh GR compact camera:

- The new Ricoh GR will have a new processor called GR Engine 5.
- Very fast and improved AF and start-up time.
- High ISO up to 25,600
- 1080P at 30fps HD video recording capabilities with continuous AF (H.264 format).
- Built-in stereo mic.
- The 28mm f/2.8 lens is completely re-designed and will have a 9 blades aperture.
- Ricoh will also offer a wide angle conversion lens (GW-3) with a 21mm focal length.
- The new GR will be compatible with Eye-Fi memory cards.
- The US price will be around $800.
- Announcement is next week. Shipping should start in May, 2013.
That sounds really delicious, even with a 28mm lens
Announcement date maybe 17th April?
04-13-2013, 07:59 PM   #41
Veteran Member

If true, and if they keep the GR software and handling the same/similar, I will be all over it. I *love* my GRD3, I don't think I have ever had a camera with which I feel more comfortable, both in the hand, and in managing settings. I don't use it as much as I ought to because of its small sensor. An APS-C sensor would likely see me sell my K-5 and lenses, and all my other compacts (yes, even the X100) and I would probably get a decent superzoom for other times.
04-14-2013, 12:48 AM   #42
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Following on a good idea is a bad thing? Really?
Funny. You're not a customer, you don't need anything - but you're telling them what to do.
It's not funny. I'm money giver for Ricoh and Pentax.

I don't tell them what to do - it's impossible. They don't need customer's opinion.
04-14-2013, 12:50 AM   #43
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by kyteflyer Quote
If true, and if they keep the GR software and handling the same/similar, I will be all over it. I *love* my GRD3, I don't think I have ever had a camera with which I feel more comfortable, both in the hand, and in managing settings. I don't use it as much as I ought to because of its small sensor. An APS-C sensor would likely see me sell my K-5 and lenses, and all my other compacts (yes, even the X100) and I would probably get a decent superzoom for other times.
Why sell a K5? I'd understand selling a X100, but the K5 is a wholly different field of photography.
All I see around forums is people swinging in moods of extremes, setting up explosives in below decks, jumping ships, walking planks, burning bridges, changing flags, etc. Very dramatic approach to photography, indeed.
04-14-2013, 12:53 AM   #44
Banned

T..

Holy cow Ogl, you give a whole new meaning even to a legendary Russian blues.
04-14-2013, 12:53 AM   #45
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote

-
A12 28/2.5 is a bit faster and has 9 blade aperture too. No AA filter.
The price of GXR+A12 28 is the same price.
Closed Thread