Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-15-2013, 05:17 PM   #61
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by DJEZRAJ Quote
OGL I agree somewhat with your comments in that a faster lens (even F2) would be more compelling indeed, I also am not so fond of "me too" copycats or at least manufacturers who use OEM parts to produce essentially the same product under a different name.

However the Ricoh GRD series seems t have a slight advantage in their Focus peaking (as you are familiar with GXR) and pre set focus distances for pseudo "focus trap or,Hyperfocal distance shooting.
I suppose if the forthcoming GR has any unique software OS tricks or aids over what the Nikon has it could be a boon for some users.

I am only assuming this will be the case as the past GR series seems to appeal to many street shooters.

However I do agree the mass consumer market will likely not care and shop by brand. In this way the GR looks like just another off brand equal.

Being it is a stand alone product outside of any similarities to Pentax OS I see no reason either camera could be considered by the same customer.

Cheers
Roger
In the big scheme of things, it's hard to argue the GR line has had all that much appeal. I never see one.

If Ricoh is to be the compact brand of PRIC (replacing Pentax outside of the specialized WG line), they have to be aiming for a much higher market share than Ricoh has or likely ever had. Snap Focus doesn't strike me as a feature than can help achieve that, especially since CDAF on almost all cameras is lightning-fast compared to a few years ago plus articulating screens are now common.

04-15-2013, 06:25 PM   #62
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by IchabodCrane Quote
In the big scheme of things, it's hard to argue the GR line has had all that much appeal. I never see one.

If Ricoh is to be the compact brand of PRIC (replacing Pentax outside of the specialized WG line), they have to be aiming for a much higher market share than Ricoh has or likely ever had. Snap Focus doesn't strike me as a feature than can help achieve that, especially since CDAF on almost all cameras is lightning-fast compared to a few years ago plus articulating screens are now common.
I think this statement of yours tells you really don't know nor understand the need for snap-focus function, nor why is the GR such a proven and admired camera concept.
04-15-2013, 07:07 PM   #63
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
I think this statement of yours tells you really don't know nor understand the need for snap-focus function, nor why is the GR such a proven and admired camera concept.
I give up.... you'll just have to explain it to me.
04-16-2013, 10:11 PM - 1 Like   #64
Site Supporter

So much pot stirring over those wonderful lil GRs!!! Hah. This link would be useful here as well methinks:
The Ricoh GR Digital Camera: A Philosophy of Design

04-16-2013, 10:17 PM   #65
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
If the concept, or the most significant fact, is a hi-end compact camera equipped with a 28mm f/2.8 fixed lens (or its equivalent in terms of field of view), then the Nikon 28Ti was released in 1994 and the Ricoh GR1 in 1996, two years later.

So who copied whom?
That's sort of true... except that the 28ti was built more like a fuji x100 (to compare the two today I mean). It was bulkier, heavier and much more expensive (sound familiar?). The GR1 was based on reworking of the earlier (two or three years) and very popular R1, and it's eerie how much the modern GR look like those R1.

Anyhow.... the funniest bit about all this talk though, is this bit I just stumbled on and you have to check out the conversation, because it's the SAME conversation happening on the boards today, with different names. This link is from 1998, which I found after a curious google search... "nikon 28ti vs ricoh gr1".

Check it out: Ricoh GR-1 Vs Nikon 28Ti - Photo.net photo.net Forum
04-17-2013, 05:10 AM   #66
Pentaxian

Just goes to show. There is nothing new under the sun :P

What a hoot looking over that old thread hahahahha :P

Anyway.. GRX and 28mm 2nd handers here I come.
04-17-2013, 05:43 AM   #67
Site Supporter

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/222041-new-ricoh-gr-of...announced.html
Closed Thread