Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 45 Likes Search this Thread
04-15-2013, 10:17 AM   #61
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Looks like a great camera, but why is it so similar to the coolpix a?
I suspect Nikon has a spy in Pentax/Ricoh headquarters

D7000 was anounced slightly earlier than K-5, had identical if not the same sensor, design ideas and market positioning were alike. Now that Coolpix A with odd (for Nikon) 28mm eqv. lens anounced a few weeks before Ricoh GR. If rumors were true, Pentax was going to anounce 24mp K-3(?) and Nikon "respond" with D7100. I can see a pattern here: know the idea and some specs, having more resources/bigger R&D department develop it quicker and then anonce earlier so many would say: "Ah... Pentax (Ricoh) xxx? They just copied Nikon yyy!"

04-15-2013, 10:18 AM   #62
Pentaxian

+1
Just do it with interchangeable lenses !
04-15-2013, 10:19 AM   #63
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by devorama Quote
First signs of Pentax influence? GRD IV had PASM modes. Now we have P, Av, Tv, TAv, and M. I'm excited to have TAv mode in a compact. It's my go-to mode for low light shooting.
They have also adopted the Pentax 'ON/OFF' in place of the much better Ricoh 'POWER' button name.
04-15-2013, 10:20 AM   #64
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It is called Japanese photo brands collusion.

04-15-2013, 10:23 AM   #65
Pentaxian

Well, you could let us know what kind of collusion this can be - i would rather say "frontal competition"...
04-15-2013, 10:24 AM   #66
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
+1
Just do it with interchangeable lenses !
??

It's a Ricoh GR.

Zoom lens is not a Ricoh GR. Interchangeable lenses is not a Ricoh GR. Why are people asking for something that is not a Ricoh GR in a Ricoh GR?
04-15-2013, 10:25 AM   #67
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by perpetual3 Quote
If you look at the history of the Ricoh GR line, including the recent digital GRD series, you'll realize that the Coolpix A is actually a clone of the GR.
I would agree if not for the apparent fact that Ricoh has dumped image stabilization (like the Coolpix A), presumably to fit the APS-C sensor into the body without making it bigger. Is that a good tradeoff? Time will tell but you have to wonder if they considered a 1" sensor, IS, and faster lens but rejected it.

04-15-2013, 10:27 AM   #68

QuoteOriginally posted by anthony mazzeri Quote
??

It's a Ricoh GR.

Zoom lens is not a Ricoh GR. Interchangeable lenses is not a Ricoh GR. Why are people asking for something that is not a Ricoh GR in a Ricoh GR? Go buy a not-Ricoh GR from not-Ricoh if you want a not-Ricoh GR.
It's ok.

I've never seen so much attention on ricoh before. As with me, those really interested in the GR will uncover the heritage and realize that the GR is simply one of the best cameras.
04-15-2013, 10:29 AM   #69

QuoteOriginally posted by IchabodCrane Quote
I would agree if not for the apparent fact that Ricoh has dumped image stabilization (like the Coolpix A), presumably to fit the APS-C sensor into the body without making it bigger. Is that a good tradeoff? Time will tell but you have to wonder if they considered a 1" sensor, IS, and faster lens but rejected it.
I don't know and to be honest I'm concerned about that as well. Hopefully high ISo is so good we won't have to worry too much about it.
04-15-2013, 10:35 AM   #70
Veteran Member

I assume IS would require a few extra mm in diameter of the image circle to cover the sensor movement so would require a larger lens.

I never missed having IS in my GRD III. It was only introduced in the GRD IV as far as I know. The twin separate phase-detect sensors new on the GRD IV also appear to have been a one-off as well since the GR omits this too (in favour of on-sensor PD, I assume).
04-15-2013, 10:42 AM   #71
ogl
Banned

want to have GR, but can't think out
04-15-2013, 10:53 AM   #72

I assume IS would require a few extra mm in diameter of the image circle to cover the sensor movement so would require a larger lens.

I never missed having IS in my GRD III. It was only introduced in the GRD IV as far as I know. The twin separate phase-detect sensors new on the GRD IV also appear to have been a one-off as well since the GR omits this too (in favour of on-sensor PD, I assume).
I hope so, but in reality I will purchase this camera. I really enjoy my K01, but just haven't been as productive with it as I am with the GRD4. The introduction of the GR will probably make this my wide-angle camera, and the K01 for more telephoto.
04-15-2013, 11:09 AM   #73
Veteran Member

street beast !!
waiting to know price
04-15-2013, 11:09 AM   #74
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
Ah dang, didn't realize it was equivalent 24mm.. 18mm on APS-C is a little wide for walking around for me

I should have bought the 28mm module when it was on sale.
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Looks great, but to much wide-angle for me.
The Olympus XA4 - 4th in the range of the "Professional Photographer's Pocket Camera," had a 28mm f/3.5 Macro lens. The original XA was 35 f/2.8. The GR 18.x would be about a 28 135 equiv., at the wide end but not awful. More for landscape and crowded street / market (and living room) than portrait, I guess.
04-15-2013, 11:19 AM   #75
Pentaxian

??

It's a Ricoh GR.

Zoom lens is not a Ricoh GR. Interchangeable lenses is not a Ricoh GR. Why are people asking for something that is not a Ricoh GR in a Ricoh GR?
QuoteOriginally posted by perpetual3 Quote
It's ok.

I've never seen so much attention on ricoh before. As with me, those really interested in the GR will uncover the heritage and realize that the GR is simply one of the best cameras.
It's OK for me too.
I was just meaning this base would be quite interesting for new MILC, let's call this GX later on .
Closed Thread