Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 45 Likes Search this Thread
04-16-2013, 07:08 AM   #136
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by anthony mazzeri Quote
The phoblographer's first impression from the official press pre-release/presentation:

http://www.thephoblographer.com/2013/04/16/first-impressions-ricoh-gr/

I'm curious why the GR retains the Ricoh hotshoe instead of switching to Pentax. I would have preferred more flash options than just the non-swivel Ricoh GF-1 flash unit.

Edit - ha, they already pulled it, that was quick. Okay, from what I can recall, the summary paragraph began "Initial impression - wow.."
ogl already gave the link...
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
... but you allowed us to notice the report was pulled from The Phoblographer's site. Fortunately somebody was able to save it . Here it comes:

EDIT: The Phoblographer's first impressions are back, therefore I am deleting the copy I posted here. Here is the updated link (new date --> new URL):

http://www.thephoblographer.com/2013/04/17/first-impressions-ricoh-gr/

Last edited by Mistral75; 04-17-2013 at 12:37 AM.
04-16-2013, 07:11 AM   #137
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by raz Quote
99% of the people will need the zoom 10 times more than the WR.
99% of the time my Sony RX100 never leaves its widest 28mm focal length, so I must be one of the 1%. If I need to get closer, I just move closer rather than use the zoom, so I pretty much use it like I did my GRD III as a fixed lens camera anyway so the Sony may as well not even have a zoom.

Anyway, at 245g the GR is roughly the same size and weight as the RX100, but with most of the Sony's weight being in the glass and mechanism of the zoom lens it's fairly front-heavy for such a little camera so the GR with its lighter fixed lens should balance a lot better when handling I think.
04-16-2013, 07:14 AM   #138
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
... but you allowed us to notice the report was pulled from The Phoblographer's site. Fortunately somebody was able to save it . Here it comes:
I suspect you're breaching copyright by posting the entire article here.
04-16-2013, 07:17 AM - 2 Likes   #139
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by IchabodCrane Quote
They also probably have three to five other cameras they carry around with themselves. Most people don't and this is why I *suspect* the GR will be (and has been) a very good camera but with a very limited opportunity to generate robust sales.
It's definitely a niche camera mainly oriented to street photographers.

For people who want a compact with a zoom Pentax/Ricoh is offering the MX-1.

I don't think Ricoh is expecting to be #1 on amazon charts with this new GR, but it's the 8th iteration of the same concept, if it was a commercial fiasco they would have stopped it a long time ago.

04-16-2013, 07:24 AM   #140
raz

NickLarsson: if they put an aps-c sensor in the MX-1 I'm sold !
04-16-2013, 07:29 AM   #141
Veteran Member

BREAKING NEWS: Ricoh releases new GRD that follows in the storied tradition of its predecessors. Tens of photographers upset that it's not something else, like a DSLR or superzoom. News at 11.

I kid.

It's quite neat that the GRD is native 28mm with adapters and functions for 21 and 35. For people that like shooting up close, that's a neat trick. It's like three cameras in one!
04-16-2013, 07:29 AM   #142
Pentaxian

Well, on the other hand, there is not that many informations apart tech. specs...

Last edited by Zygonyx; 04-16-2013 at 09:52 AM.
04-16-2013, 07:45 AM   #143
Veteran Member

99% of the people will need the zoom 10 times more than the WR. Large sensor and lack of long lens is a shame. With this camera, if you don't pixel peep and if the light is good, most of the pictures will look similar as taken from
a phone with a good sensor or a point and shot. I know this because I have a similar camera with the same focal.

Bokeh is one of the big advantages of the large sensor and you will not get that with a wide lens.

I own a Panasonic 4:3 with a 14mm pancake, so is 28mm equivalent. This focal is a sort of compromise, is good sometimes in narrow spaces and so on, but the bad is the lacking the bokeh and the fact that this
wide angle isn't especially flattering to people faces.

I tell you, if they manage a small camera with a large sensor and the most important thing: a long zoom lens that is collapsible , they would strike gold. A lot of people wish a camera with large sensor but without the ridiculous big zooms from the nex cameras for example. Even the panasonic and olympus zooms aren't that small, and even their pancakes protrudes...so you cannot carry a Gf2,3,etc in your pocket so easily.
Do yourself a favor and click on Beholder3's link...
There are thousands of examples of people getting nice bokeh with the same focal length WITH A MUCH SMALLER SENSOR (from the GRDIII and IV).
04-16-2013, 07:52 AM   #144
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
Well, on the other hand, there is not that many informations apart tech. specs...
The photographies at least can be considered as copyrighted. I will edit my post once their report is up again.
04-16-2013, 08:05 AM   #145
raz

QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
Do yourself a favor and click on Beholder3's link...
There are thousands of examples of people getting nice bokeh with the same focal length WITH A MUCH SMALLER SENSOR (from the GRDIII and IV).
There are very few good bokeh images most of them are normal shots with minimal blur. You have to be very close to the subject ! This means you will not have a bokeh when you fill in a whole person. And to fill in only a "head" you will need to get in inches from the person. And then the head will be distorted, big nose and so on. Not saying this camera is bad, but this focal is just not getting you bokeh especialy because is only f/2.8. For street photography, nature, indoor this focal is good, I know because I have it. For portraits and more flattering shots when you want to separate the background is not.
04-16-2013, 08:40 AM   #146
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

For portraits and more flattering shots when you want to separate the background is not.
You have dSLR's with 85mm (or equivalent) lenses for that. Use the tools appropriate to the task at hand. This camera isn't intended for what you're asking it to do (and slamming it for not being able to do). the GRD should have a 28mm-35mm equiv. lens as Ricoh street cams have since at least the FF-1 in 1978.
04-16-2013, 08:42 AM   #147
Pentaxian

For portrait, take Q + Prime 01
04-16-2013, 08:59 AM   #148
raz

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
You have dSLR's with 85mm (or equivalent) lenses for that. Use the tools appropriate to the task at hand. This camera isn't intended for what you're asking it to do (and slamming it for not being able to do). the GRD should have a 28mm-35mm equiv. lens as Ricoh street cams have since at least the FF-1 in 1978.
I said the exact same things in my post above yours that this camera has is strengths. I was only intrigued that they can produce a camera this small with this larger sensor. Why not make also another camera with a zoom or longer lens ? I'm not so familiar with Ricoh, do they have or plan such a thing ? I'm also asking ...do they want to sell lots of cameras or they are happy to sell very few as Pentax did ? Marketing wise Pentax missed A LOT of chances when they had the upper hand in miniaturization (camera and lenses as well).
04-16-2013, 09:07 AM - 1 Like   #149
Veteran Member

These debates are reaching past comical into "sad" category. This camera line is what it is and does what it does VERY WELL, appealing to a distinct market that has bought and will continue to buy it for it's strengths. If those are not strengths to you, then simply buy a camera that is rather than wishing for a 4th wish on the lantern.

(And again, if you've never tried shooting with this cam, I can't stress enough, for obvious reason, you just don't know.)

(Me walks away now thinking "*this* is why I just *lurk*")
04-16-2013, 09:26 AM   #150
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Some additional details on Ricoh GR:

- price of 21mm wide conversion lens "GW-3": ¥22,000 (approx. US$225 / €175)
This is awesome. Go price a good 21mm lens. If this works like it does on the current GRD IV, this will be wonderful.
Closed Thread