Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-06-2008, 05:36 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Pentax K1000D

K200D comes with K10D's specs.

and recently we heard some rumor about K####D.

K1000D, or K2000D, let's predict.

first, announce date will september~october Photokina 2008.

and K1000D with 645D and K1D?

K1000D will lightest DSLR in the world,

sensor will Samsung 14MP with live-view.(or Sony 12MP)

no sealing and body frame will redesigned.

hmmm.. It's damn mad prediction,..

what about .. delete viewfinder and prism, and mirror?

in new generation of live view, we can take a photo without noisy mirror.

ofcourse, viewfinder is unfamiliar to P&S shooter.

without mirror/prism/viewfinder, DSLR could be very, very light.

(lens changing P&S? lens changing high-end camera?)

body's depth can't reduce because mount's own flange back.

but height and weight could reduce dramatically.

and SR will come again.

hmmm.. sorry for my poor poor English.

03-06-2008, 05:47 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Maybe it's just my fondness for my film K1000, but I think the should reserve the K1000D name for something really special, not just the lowest-end model.

How about we call this thing the "Auto-D", after the Auto110? (It still should be K-mount, though.)
03-06-2008, 09:13 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm with you, Matt.

If Pentax is to bring out a K1000D then it should be a no nonse camera, aimed for a market higher than the K100/K200 series...

No Scene modes,
No thrills

But just:
- dual dial/Hyper modes
- pentaprism
- Low Pixel count/High quality sensor (get Fuji's bloody Super CCD in it)

If they do that, they can skip Shake reduction for me...

Hell, I just invinted the ist D Mark II...
03-06-2008, 10:29 AM   #4
Banned

QuoteQuote:
what about .. delete viewfinder and prism, and mirror?
if you do that then wouldn't it at this point no longer be an SLR?

being a K1000 owner myself the 1000D should be a bare no nonsense DSLR but not bare enough to make it a point and shoot... jesus thats just wrong.

03-06-2008, 10:32 AM   #5
Banned

and a K1000D SHOULD NOT have live view. :ugh:
03-06-2008, 11:55 AM   #6

a rangefinder would be awesome, and would probably get lots of bussiness, if the rabid Epson RD-1 and Leica M8 users are any indication. There wouldn't really be the focal plane advantage of a rangefinder, but why not have a mount that can fit "rf only" lenses, and then an extension tube that brings the distance out to that of regular K-mount?

Pipe dream, though. I'd love a small pocket camera, like the Oly 410/420
03-06-2008, 12:02 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by benplaut Quote
Pipe dream, though. I'd love a small pocket camera, like the Oly 410/420
Who wouldn't?

03-06-2008, 12:15 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I wouldnt even put an LCD on a K1000D. It should be a manual only, SLR with a pentaprism viewfinder with hotshoe and X-sync. Only adjustments needed are ISO, shutter speed, aperture (thus 2 e-dials). A photography school's dream.

Oh and "SIMPLE" is not necessarily LOW END, it is just simple.
03-06-2008, 12:29 PM   #9
Pentaxian

SLR = Single Lens, Reflex-viewing.

Optically viewing directly through the taking lens is the magic and appeal of SLRs (including DSLRs.)

"Electronic" viewfinders are one of the contributors to shutter lag. You are simply describing a point and shoot digicam with interchangeable lenses. Not interesting to me.

A K1000D to me should have:

Lightweight, no-nonsense construction (think plastic body Pentax MZ-M or MZ-5).

Mode dial with only M, AV, TV, P. Or maybe.... just M and AUTO (P).

I would love to see a shutter speed dial and aperture-ring support (like the MZ-M and MZ-5). More likely would be a single control wheel (or control "switch" like on the MZ-10) with a button for choosing aperture or shutter control in M.

Using a shutter spead dial/aperture ring would mean no need for top-mounted LCD. Or, use the control wheel and display shutter/aperture on the rear LCD like the D40.

The big colour LCD on the back of the camera is likely one of the more expensive items. No need to go all out on resolution or size. I don't know what the sweet spot is for mass-produced price breaks, just go for what is the cheapest. Perhaps 2"? Or none at all, as suggested above.

For a sensor, also default to the cheapest option -- either keep using Sony's 6mp or 10mp chip, or see what Samsung can deliver for low cost CMOS in 8 to 12 mp.

Of course, the K1000D should use AA batteries.

The two MOST IMPORTANT FEATURES of the K1000D, regardless of all else?
PRICE and MARKETING.

The K1000D should be priced to OWN the sub-$400 camera market. Preferably in the range of a Nikon FM10 or Canon EOS Rebel.

The marketing should emphasize the two BEST features of DSLR ownership -- shutter lag and interchangeable lenses.
03-06-2008, 10:51 PM   #10
Inactive Account

The K1000D should be just like the old film one accept digital somehow. There are so many good manual focus lenses out there and some still being made for Pentax today that it would be a great idea. Ditch the electronic shutter and somehow get the K1000D to use a mechanical shutter system so that batteries aren't required for long exposures. The processing should work so that long exposures are clean meaning we can do good star trails again and without the NR, just plain good straight out of the camera. Give it heaps of megapixels and a big buffer but it'll be a landscape focused camera with the best image quality in its class. I can tell you that for my lightning photography I'd grab one of these yesterday. Oh, make the shutter lag nil so that the lightning trigger works well on it to. It would need to be metalic silver and a little square looking with a few modern twists.

Tim H
03-06-2008, 11:59 PM   #11

How about a digital back for the K1000?

OooooOOoooOOhh!
03-07-2008, 01:31 AM   #12
Forum Member

I would like to see a K1000D with two dials, one on each side of the pentaprism as I find that I don't use the top LCD much at all. Some of my favourite camera ergonomics were from the MZ5N and the Konica Minolta 7D, both with their exposure compensation wheels on the left. I feel that exposure compensation could probably go in a menu, so if we replace this with ISO?

So left hand side, I would like a combination dial which would be able to control the ISO and white balance. Right could be a mode dial as before with PASM and scene modes.
The rear screen can hold all the details ala the D40x.

About the same size as the MZ5N would be perfect, I wouldn't mind if it used lithium ion batteries, but I would like the ability to use AAs in emergencies and on holiday. Doesn't have to be sealed or anything, non creak construction, it can be almost completely plastic like the MZ5N.
I can give or take liveview, in a publicity point of view, they will probably need to include it.

One thing that might set the model apart is that its the first DSLR to be able to record video. don't need 1.5mp images or anything, 800x480 30fps for the length of the card would help sell bucketloads of this camera.

But enough dreaming.
All I really want is a camera thats ergonomic but small, counteracting a smaller grip by being much lighter, solid plastic, DS viewfinder, don't even need steel frame (that has got to add alot of weight) and retains a good aperture priority mode with AF no slower than K100DS.
Is that too much to ask?
03-07-2008, 06:28 AM   #13
Banned

QuoteQuote:
SLR = Single Lens, Reflex-viewing.

Optically viewing directly through the taking lens is the magic and appeal of SLRs (including DSLRs.)

"Electronic" viewfinders are one of the contributors to shutter lag. You are simply describing a point and shoot digicam with interchangeable lenses. Not interesting to me.

A K1000D to me should have:

Lightweight, no-nonsense construction (think plastic body Pentax MZ-M or MZ-5).

Mode dial with only M, AV, TV, P. Or maybe.... just M and AUTO (P).

I would love to see a shutter speed dial and aperture-ring support (like the MZ-M and MZ-5). More likely would be a single control wheel (or control "switch" like on the MZ-10) with a button for choosing aperture or shutter control in M.

Using a shutter spead dial/aperture ring would mean no need for top-mounted LCD. Or, use the control wheel and display shutter/aperture on the rear LCD like the D40.

The big colour LCD on the back of the camera is likely one of the more expensive items. No need to go all out on resolution or size. I don't know what the sweet spot is for mass-produced price breaks, just go for what is the cheapest. Perhaps 2"? Or none at all, as suggested above.

For a sensor, also default to the cheapest option -- either keep using Sony's 6mp or 10mp chip, or see what Samsung can deliver for low cost CMOS in 8 to 12 mp.

Of course, the K1000D should use AA batteries.

The two MOST IMPORTANT FEATURES of the K1000D, regardless of all else?
PRICE and MARKETING.

The K1000D should be priced to OWN the sub-$400 camera market. Preferably in the range of a Nikon FM10 or Canon EOS Rebel.

The marketing should emphasize the two BEST features of DSLR ownership -- shutter lag and interchangeable lenses.

bingo. sounds like a winner.
03-07-2008, 07:29 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
I wouldnt even put an LCD on a K1000D. It should be a manual only, SLR with a pentaprism viewfinder with hotshoe and X-sync. Only adjustments needed are ISO, shutter speed, aperture (thus 2 e-dials). A photography school's dream.

Oh and "SIMPLE" is not necessarily LOW END, it is just simple.
That would be sheer perfection.

But don't forget white balance. Used to be controlled by the film that was used. Now it has to be controlled by the "film" in the camera.

Personally, I liked the analog light meter of the K1000. I also liked adjusting the aperture with my left hand. Left hand had a lot of control back then (aperture, focus, and zoom). With some of the newer lenses, it is hard to get that kind of control back.
03-07-2008, 08:36 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Can we also get mechanical linkage so all K-mount lenses will work as they're supposed to, please? I love my old M series lenses, but it aggrivates the fire out of me to use them in a stopped down metering mode and to have no read-out of what f-stop I'm using. It doesn't aggrivate me enough to make me stop using them, but as long as we're wishing....