Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 38 Likes Search this Thread
04-29-2013, 04:36 PM   #166
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by frank Quote
Will post some photos during the Labor Day holiday
Looking forward to that. Your photos in the past have been very helpful to me in seeing what new Pentax gear can do.

04-29-2013, 04:53 PM   #167
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
It gets around EU regulations on proprietary electronic device chargers.
It's here to stay.
Yes, it would be great if every portable electronic device in future supported micro-USB charging. I have a small box full of proprietary chargers and adapters I have picked up for various phones and gadgets over recent years. Lack of industry standardization here has been wasteful and in-efficient, and of course has not been environmentally friendly.
04-29-2013, 09:19 PM   #168
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
Frank: every try a Sigma DP Merrill? Curious how the GR will stack up against it. I think the GR will kill it on focusing speed and high-ISO performance.
Sorry I've never even seen this Sigma camera yet. I only held the very first DP1 a few years back when it arrived in our local stores, didn't like it at all. By looking at the current DP1M, I don't think I'd like the form factor either.

On the other hand the GR is really a joy to hold and use. I felt pretty at home even though this is the first time I used Ricoh digital cameras other than some quick plays w/ friends Ricoh GRDs.

QuoteOriginally posted by anthony mazzeri Quote
I assume the AC-U1 is for charging the battery in-camera via the USB port, similar to the Sony RX100's charger? The actual battery-substitute AC adapter is called the AC-5c, so the similar naming indicates this might be the case.

The proper external battery charger for the GRD and GR is actually the BJ-6. It is listed as an optional accessory on the official product site.
Yes, you are right, the AC-U1 is an adapter for charing the camera through USB. I do have a BJ-6 charger in the bag (passed to me together w/ the camera), thought that was bundled in the retail box. But looked at the manual again, seems it's an optional item

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Looking forward to that. Your photos in the past have been very helpful to me in seeing what new Pentax gear can do.
Thanks. As I said above, this is the very first time I really played Ricoh cameras (other than my then beloved GR1 about 15 years ago). There are pretty detailed reviews on the Internet (especially DPR) already, I'd probably just do a quick comparison w/ my X100 (non-S version) if I got time tomorrow And of course some sample photos too.
04-30-2013, 03:54 PM   #169
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It gets around EU regulations on proprietary electronic device chargers.

It's here to stay. Get used to it.
For those wanting to read up on it:
http://ec.europa.eu/enterprise/sectors/rtte/chargers/cool-eu/index_en.htm

The agreement involves phones, incl. Apple which hesitated a bit (starting to support it with the iPhone 4S in the EU, http://store.apple.com/uk/product/MD099ZM/A/apple-iphone-micro-usb-adapter).

The EU anticipates that makers of similiar type consumer electronics (they list cameras) will follow soon.

04-30-2013, 04:16 PM   #170
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
For those wanting to read up on it:
One charger for all - Cool EU! - Radio and telecommunications terminal equipment (R&TTE) - Enterprise and Industry

The agreement involves phones, incl. Apple which hesitated a bit (starting to support it with the iPhone 4S in the EU, Apple iPhone Micro USB Adapter - Apple Store (UK)).

The EU anticipates that makers of similiar type consumer electronics (they list cameras) will follow soon.
And it's not just the EU. Other jurisdictions are about to replicate. Solid reasons to do so and something all consumers should encourage.

Of course with Pentax there is also the AA battery solution for the K-30.
04-30-2013, 04:35 PM   #171
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Solid reasons to do so and something all consumers should encourage.
I'm not happy with it, because it means that I can't use my camera while the battery is charging. So it means that I have to buy a separate charger because they are not provided anymore.
In case of the Ricoh GR, it means 50 bucks. And probably it will mean 50 bucks for each new camera that I buy in the future. Great law indeed.
04-30-2013, 05:16 PM   #172
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by NickLarsson Quote
I can't use my camera while the battery is charging.
Well, technically you can - I can still shoot with my NEX while it is being charged via micro-USB cable...

But yes, if the only 'charger' you have is the camera itself, then that may be inconvenient sometimes. Solution is to have two batteries, and charge the spare overnight, or something. A spare battery is always useful to have around.

04-30-2013, 05:50 PM - 1 Like   #173
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm not happy with it, because it means that I can't use my camera while the battery is charging. So it means that I have to buy a separate charger because they are not provided anymore.
In case of the Ricoh GR, it means 50 bucks. And probably it will mean 50 bucks for each new camera that I buy in the future. Great law indeed.
The alternative when dealing with all the waste proprietary chargers create was to charge a $40 recycling fee per recharger on top of the unit price.

Third party chargers are available. The whole point is to discourage incompatible, proprietary charging systems that go into landfills. Instead there are universal charging systems, or, in the case of cameras, via USB.
04-30-2013, 06:01 PM   #174

You can buy a cheap 3rd party charger for around $5 for most cameras. That's what I did for my girlfriend. She's got a Samsung with USB charging only so I got her an extra battery and a charger for just a few bucks. Even if you're the type who won't use an aftermarket battery in their camera, surely the charger can't hurt you.
04-30-2013, 06:25 PM   #175
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You can order a Ricoh external charger if you want:

Accessories?GR?PENTAX RICOH IMAGING
04-30-2013, 10:08 PM   #176

The external charger should come with the camera considering how much it costs. Having one charger of all cameras and phones is a good idea, having to charge the battery in the camera is not! Having to charge the battery in the camera basically takes the camera out of action while you are waiting the charge to complete which is a deal breaker for me.
04-30-2013, 10:18 PM   #177
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If 80% are satisfied with in-camera charging, that's 80% less landfill material. I'm ok with that math, even if I'm part of the 20% that needs to pay a little extra for an external charger.

And while they're at it, they can exclude the AV cable. I don't think I've ever used one of those. Oh wait, maybe the one with my Canon G2 ten years ago. Once.
05-01-2013, 01:04 AM   #178
Veteran Member

You can always buy an external charger for a camera that can charge a battery in camera. The other way round isn't possible. I know which I'd prefer.
05-01-2013, 01:21 AM   #179
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
that's 80% less landfill material.
On a related tangent, I was pleased to notice that the NEX-F3 I recently bought (to replace the NEX-5 I gifted to a young relative) is not only a USB charging camera, but Sony makes a big deal about the use of 99% recycled plastics for most the mechanical and structural parts of the camera, as well as the improved energy savings of the device etc etc. It's good to see these green things happening with all this [essentially] disposable digital gear.
05-01-2013, 09:30 AM   #180
Veteran Member

I suppose, from an environmental standpoint, it does make sense. In camera charging is certainly a nice feature too, but it's so slow(emergency only). Make sure you use a high power USB plug. For my NEX, I bought the Wasabi charger anyways, and it's much faster than their default charger. Keeping the same battery across multiple models and generations is a smart way to reduce waste. Even if battery tech improves, they can make them backwards/forwards compatible.