Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-19-2013, 01:35 AM   #106
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I just don't understand why they didn't put the plug for the electornic viewfinder of GXR. Even if just few people would be interested in it, it's not something they must think up, design and put on production... it exist.

04-19-2013, 05:35 AM   #107
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by eurostar Quote
I just don't understand why they didn't put the plug for the electornic viewfinder of GXR. Even if just few people would be interested in it, it's not something they must think up, design and put on production... it exist.
It would add 0.5cm to the height of the body, making it as big as a GXR and no longer a pocketable GR.

Sony's idea of putting the port in the front of the hotshoe itself, rather than below it and adding unnecessary bulk to the camera, is a good solution.
04-19-2013, 05:52 AM - 4 Likes   #108
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mr Spocko Quote
2 things, fixed lens and I think it should have an OVF built in, Fuji get this Ricoh don't a mistake IMO
I just can't fathom this constant comparison with the Fuji cameras. The Fuji X100s is twice the mass of the GR. It's a much bigger camera. One X100s weighs as much as two GRs. Why do so many people not seem to get this? Do you think they are actually similar in size/weight or something?

The only similarity between the small discrete pocketable GR and the twice-as-heavy much larger loud silver X100s on a neckstrap is they both have APSC sensors and a fixed prime lens.

Why stop at the larger X100s' OVF? Why not include a proper mirror and prism from yet even larger cameras as well while we're at it to rectify the GR's 'mistake'.
04-19-2013, 05:56 AM   #109
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by anthony mazzeri Quote
Why stop at the larger X100s' OVF? Why not include a proper mirror and prism from yet even larger cameras as well while we're at it to rectify the GR's 'mistake'.
I for one won't use smartphone cameras until they rival the 645D in ergonomics and IQ

04-19-2013, 06:05 AM - 1 Like   #110
Lens Buying Addict

QuoteOriginally posted by anthony mazzeri Quote
I just can't fathom this constant comparison with the Fuji cameras.
Add a line to the song............... "I'm too sexy for my cam, too sexy for my cam, too sexy for my cam, too sexxxxxxxxxxxxxy"

Last edited by monochrome; 04-19-2013 at 09:17 AM.
04-19-2013, 07:42 AM   #111
Pentaxian

[deleted]

Last edited by beholder3; 08-11-2013 at 07:09 AM. Reason: [deleted]
04-19-2013, 09:15 AM   #112
Lens Buying Addict

QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
Clumsy Fuji.
Compact Camera Meter
Not pocketable.

Unless you consider Santa Claus to be carrying a "pocket" on his back.

Not to mention the additional 60% / 450 EUR price rip-off for the Fuji. That is more extra rip-off than a new 35mm Macro limited costs (387 EUR) ...

For the extra bulkyness one would expect a hefty discount.
Sooner or later somebody's going to come in here and call me a fanboy like they did when I defended the K-01 (which has its fans now that it is over), but this time I think I'm right. Many people just can't accept that Pentax Ricoh actually has a winner. I don't see anyone who objected to Mark Newson extolling the virtues of PR internal designers for this camera.

I think the Olympus XA was treated in much the same way in 1980 except that the novel clamshell design got it some favorable press. XA - A pocket camera for professional photographers.
04-19-2013, 09:20 AM   #113
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Many people just can't accept that Pentax Ricoh actually has a winner.
The funny thing is that almost all the reviews out there are pretty enthusiastic and full of praise. The only naysayers are found here on this forum.

04-19-2013, 09:56 AM   #114
Pentaxian

[deleted]

Last edited by beholder3; 08-11-2013 at 07:09 AM. Reason: [deleted]
04-19-2013, 11:20 AM   #115
MSM
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mr Spocko Quote

For this reason once the X100s price has dropped (as it will like the X100) IMO that's the way to go no question. But nice to see something, and the lens does look decent sharpness wise
When did you see the price of the X100 drop. The Camera was 1300 at start and got down to just below 1100 right before being discontinued. I don't think you are going to see a significant drop in the X100s anytime soon. I mean in the next year. Fuji is (perhaps rightfully) proud of their now very successful X series. It will always be a fair amount more expensive. If a drop does occur, you can bet it is due to sluggish sales as they saturate their niche. Don't get me wrong, I love me the Fuji too. I just think the GR looks like a real winner. The X100s is just to rich for me and my needs.

As note above, they are not really comparable as much as many want to make outside of the APS-C sensor size.
04-19-2013, 12:23 PM - 1 Like   #116

QuoteOriginally posted by Unsinkable II Quote
Well, Ken Rockwell has chimed in with his thoughts on the GR:

"No viewfinder of any kind (just hold it in front of your face like an iPhone to compose), no aperture or shutter-speed dials. It's like a car without a steering wheel; technical progress to some people means that critical functions be delegated to a menu or button and dial system.

Good luck!

The Fuji X100s is so much better; mine just arrived."

He is demonstrating a real lack of understanding...
I actually asked Ken about this, here is his response:

Me:
"The new Ricoh GR does have control dials, one in the front and one in the back.
It has one touch access to everything you need while shooting, including an af mode
switch that you complain is missing from your new beloved nikons."

His response:
"
Those re random dials, not direct marked inputs

Thank you!

Ken

Sent from my Christmas iPad, thanks Santa!"

Wow.
04-19-2013, 12:28 PM   #117
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
Oh man - I want the Pentax K watch...

[

Gosh, where did you get these images ?
04-19-2013, 12:32 PM   #118
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
Gosh, where did you get these images ?
Someone earlier in the thread linked the GR promotional page.
04-19-2013, 12:36 PM   #119
Pentaxian

I think that this GR is gonna be a homerun. Not a cam. For everyone, but nevertheless great in it's league. Modern, works great in field that it was intended to be used, luxury item, what leaves a thought of desire w/o being too 'rich'(fuji).
04-19-2013, 01:11 PM   #120
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Sooner or later somebody's going to come in here and call me a fanboy like they did when I defended the K-01 (which has its fans now that it is over), but this time I think I'm right. Many people just can't accept that Pentax Ricoh actually has a winner. I don't see anyone who objected to Mark Newson extolling the virtues of PR internal designers for this camera.
This is true, but the more I read and watch the less I care what folks think who are not going to use one, other than their genuine reasons for choosing something else. I mostly just happy to see this line get so much more exposure as a result of the Pentax acquisition. I think the two camera makers compliment one another greatly. Whether or not this new GR is a "killer" in terms of sales and useage, it sounds to be just that with the segment that has extolled it for so long, *as well as* a whole new group of folks who would have understood had they ever even know about the line in detail in the past. Basically - yeah this cam and no cam are for everyone... but for my money it's pretty neat to see this latest model reaching such a larger (much larger) group of people in Europe and the Americas than ever before.

p.s. Rockwell is a hack.

Last edited by chickentender; 04-19-2013 at 01:14 PM. Reason: (Rockwell not Newson - had both names clanging around in my head, sorry)