Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-19-2013, 01:16 PM   #121
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The Game has changed: Ricoh GRD V - Fstopeight

... from over on another thread. concise and accurate for my money.

04-19-2013, 02:37 PM   #122
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote
Also from some influent bloggers out there :

Eric Kim : Street Photography Camera Game-Changer: The Ricoh GRD V ? Eric Kim Street Photography

"As all the previous generations of the GR’s have been amazing, I’m sure Ricoh will hit a home run with this camera. Of course I haven’t tried out the camera yet (I might try to get a review unit to test out for you guys) but I think it will be epic. So if you are looking for a smaller option in street photography, keep your eyes posted on this camera."

Ming Thein : Announcing the Ricoh GR (Digital V) ? Ming Thein | Photographer

"In a perverse way, I’m actually hoping that the Nikon has at least one significant advantage over the Ricoh; this is not so I have an excuse to buy both, but because if Nikon has been so thoroughly bested after such a long wait for them to get in the game, I fear there’s a high risk the Coolpix A will be their first and last attempt – and that would be a real shame."

Steve Huff : The new Pentax/Ricoh GR Camera is ready to stomp on the Coolpix A | STEVE HUFF PHOTOS

"A new GR digital and it looks FANTASTIC and mark my words: THIS IS A NIKON COOLPIX A KILLER! It may say Pentax but it looks, feels, smells and shoots like a Ricoh GR on steroids. [...] My pre-order is in because I feel not only will this beat the Nikon Coolpix A but it probably will dethrone my fave pocket rocket, the Sony RX100! My crystal ball is showing me a price redux on the coolpix A soon… "
04-19-2013, 03:36 PM   #123
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by NickLarsson Quote
Also from some influent bloggers out there :

Eric Kim : Street Photography Camera Game-Changer: The Ricoh GRD V ? Eric Kim Street Photography

"As all the previous generations of the GR’s have been amazing, I’m sure Ricoh will hit a home run with this camera. Of course I haven’t tried out the camera yet (I might try to get a review unit to test out for you guys) but I think it will be epic. So if you are looking for a smaller option in street photography, keep your eyes posted on this camera."

Ming Thein : Announcing the Ricoh GR (Digital V) ? Ming Thein | Photographer

"In a perverse way, I’m actually hoping that the Nikon has at least one significant advantage over the Ricoh; this is not so I have an excuse to buy both, but because if Nikon has been so thoroughly bested after such a long wait for them to get in the game, I fear there’s a high risk the Coolpix A will be their first and last attempt – and that would be a real shame."

Steve Huff : The new Pentax/Ricoh GR Camera is ready to stomp on the Coolpix A | STEVE HUFF PHOTOS

"A new GR digital and it looks FANTASTIC and mark my words: THIS IS A NIKON COOLPIX A KILLER! It may say Pentax but it looks, feels, smells and shoots like a Ricoh GR on steroids. [...] My pre-order is in because I feel not only will this beat the Nikon Coolpix A but it probably will dethrone my fave pocket rocket, the Sony RX100! My crystal ball is showing me a price redux on the coolpix A soon… "
Not that it's the only differentiator but price is the biggest one we know of without handling the camera ourselves yet. Unlike engineering changes, it's the one thing Nikon can fix in a day if they wish.
04-19-2013, 03:49 PM   #124
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by IchabodCrane Quote
Not that it's the only differentiator but price is the biggest one we know of without handling the camera ourselves yet. Unlike engineering changes, it's the one thing Nikon can fix in a day if they wish.
Well put.

04-19-2013, 09:06 PM   #125
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by IchabodCrane Quote
The awful DPR sample photos from the Coolpix A are hard to retract. Nikon has a tendency to milk the fanboys regardless of value. Cue YouTube bunker video.
04-19-2013, 09:21 PM   #126
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think Steve Huff is a rocket scientist, isn't he?
04-23-2013, 10:37 PM   #127
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by devorama Quote
Well the RX-100 sensor is about 1.5 stops smaller. The DxOMark low light score shows this, with the RX-100 having a score of ISO 390 vs the K-iis score of 1208. I'm guessing the GR will have a similar performance to the K-iis. So, a 1.5 stop difference in area, yields a 1.5 stop difference in low light performance. BUT, the RX-100 lens is about 1.3 stops faster than the GR. It has a max aperture of F/1.8 vs F/2.8. So for lower light shooting, they should be pretty similar. If you have enough light to shoot the GR at ISO 100, it should reach a level of performance the RX-100 can't touch.

I own an RX-100, and I'm thinking of selling it to buy the GR. What I love about the RX-100 is is small size and versatility. I rigged up a mini-bounce card that I taped to the pop up flash. I also taped a small tab to the back of the flash so I can easily aim the flash at the ceiling and also aim my mini-bounce card to do some forward fill. It's a very effective combo and very pocketable. The 20MP sensor is really nice and the HDR modes work well. However, I kinda feel like the Sony was designed for gadget lovers and the Ricoh was designed for photographers.
All good points.

I do wish Ricoh would make a 1" GX-300. I'd replace my wife's RX100 with that in a heartbeat, just for the user interface.

While the RX100 performs spectacularly for its size, it just isn't fun to interact with.

04-24-2013, 02:47 AM   #128
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Unsinkable II Quote

While the RX100 performs spectacularly for its size, it just isn't fun to interact with.
Sold my RX100 simply for the reason mentioned. It's really easy to carry around, but I seldom took out of pocket 'cause I just didn't enjoy using this dame cool camera

Bought an LX7 instead, IQ isn't in the same league, but it's so much fun to use. Now eagerly waiting for the GR to replace my X100
04-24-2013, 12:31 PM   #129
Veteran Member

I just pre-ordered the GR. Ricoh's track record with this kind of camera, as well as the images and early reviews I've seen so far, give me great confidence that this will be the compact camera to have. If I don't like it, I'll send it back.
04-24-2013, 02:34 PM   #130
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Interesting that the Ricoh GR is creating more buzz than any Pentax camera since forever.

When I first heard about it, assuming that it would be price-compatible with the Coolpix A and depend on the GR faithful for sales, I did think "why not buy an X-E1 body and 18mm pancake?" But I have to say £599 looks to be amazing value. I exepected it to be double the price of the (overpriced) GRD IV minimum.

The 18mm fixed focal length is disappointingly conservative. A short zoom, 18-35mm or even 18-27mm, would have made this utterly compelling even if it added £200 to the price.

Another observation: what's the first fruit of the Ricoh-Pentax merger? TAv mode. Like, wow! To be fair, I suspect it's the same sensor as the K-5 IIs as well.
04-24-2013, 03:21 PM   #131
Veteran Member

Some samples: Ricoh GR - a set on Flickr

ISO 5000 looks good :

04-24-2013, 03:35 PM   #132
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery

This is just an exciting, simple little powerhouse of a camera. I want one.

(from stopeight)

04-24-2013, 05:18 PM   #133
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
This is just an exciting, simple little powerhouse of a camera. I want one.
- I suspect you are not alone in your desire for this camera
04-24-2013, 08:15 PM - 1 Like   #134
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by top-quark Quote
Interesting that the Ricoh GR is creating more buzz than any Pentax camera since forever.

When I first heard about it, assuming that it would be price-compatible with the Coolpix A and depend on the GR faithful for sales, I did think "why not buy an X-E1 body and 18mm pancake?" But I have to say £599 looks to be amazing value. I exepected it to be double the price of the (overpriced) GRD IV minimum.

The 18mm fixed focal length is disappointingly conservative. A short zoom, 18-35mm or even 18-27mm, would have made this utterly compelling even if it added £200 to the price.

Another observation: what's the first fruit of the Ricoh-Pentax merger? TAv mode. Like, wow! To be fair, I suspect it's the same sensor as the K-5 IIs as well.
I'm assuming all those who are lauding the new GR for it's small size are a different group than those who said the K-01 shouldn't be any smaller since it fits so well.
04-24-2013, 11:48 PM   #135
Pentaxian

I think that this camera will be my next wideangle prime lens purchase. My widest lens by now is 18-55 zoom...