Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-19-2013, 01:16 PM   #121
Pentaxian
chickentender's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Seattle, WA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,993
The Game has changed: Ricoh GRD V - Fstopeight

... from over on another thread. concise and accurate for my money.

04-19-2013, 02:37 PM   #122
Veteran Member
NickLarsson's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Paris, France
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,390
QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote
Also from some influent bloggers out there :

Eric Kim : Street Photography Camera Game-Changer: The Ricoh GRD V ? Eric Kim Street Photography

"As all the previous generations of the GRís have been amazing, Iím sure Ricoh will hit a home run with this camera. Of course I havenít tried out the camera yet (I might try to get a review unit to test out for you guys) but I think it will be epic. So if you are looking for a smaller option in street photography, keep your eyes posted on this camera."

Ming Thein : Announcing the Ricoh GR (Digital V) ? Ming Thein | Photographer

"In a perverse way, Iím actually hoping that the Nikon has at least one significant advantage over the Ricoh; this is not so I have an excuse to buy both, but because if Nikon has been so thoroughly bested after such a long wait for them to get in the game, I fear thereís a high risk the Coolpix A will be their first and last attempt Ė and that would be a real shame."

Steve Huff : The new Pentax/Ricoh GR Camera is ready to stomp on the Coolpix A | STEVE HUFF PHOTOS

"A new GR digital and it looks FANTASTIC and mark my words: THIS IS A NIKON COOLPIX A KILLER! It may say Pentax but it looks, feels, smells and shoots like a Ricoh GR on steroids. [...] My pre-order is in because I feel not only will this beat the Nikon Coolpix A but it probably will dethrone my fave pocket rocket, the Sony RX100! My crystal ball is showing me a price redux on the coolpix A soonÖ "
04-19-2013, 03:36 PM   #123
Pentaxian




Join Date: Sep 2012
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,728
QuoteOriginally posted by NickLarsson Quote
Also from some influent bloggers out there :

Eric Kim : Street Photography Camera Game-Changer: The Ricoh GRD V ? Eric Kim Street Photography

"As all the previous generations of the GRís have been amazing, Iím sure Ricoh will hit a home run with this camera. Of course I havenít tried out the camera yet (I might try to get a review unit to test out for you guys) but I think it will be epic. So if you are looking for a smaller option in street photography, keep your eyes posted on this camera."

Ming Thein : Announcing the Ricoh GR (Digital V) ? Ming Thein | Photographer

"In a perverse way, Iím actually hoping that the Nikon has at least one significant advantage over the Ricoh; this is not so I have an excuse to buy both, but because if Nikon has been so thoroughly bested after such a long wait for them to get in the game, I fear thereís a high risk the Coolpix A will be their first and last attempt Ė and that would be a real shame."

Steve Huff : The new Pentax/Ricoh GR Camera is ready to stomp on the Coolpix A | STEVE HUFF PHOTOS

"A new GR digital and it looks FANTASTIC and mark my words: THIS IS A NIKON COOLPIX A KILLER! It may say Pentax but it looks, feels, smells and shoots like a Ricoh GR on steroids. [...] My pre-order is in because I feel not only will this beat the Nikon Coolpix A but it probably will dethrone my fave pocket rocket, the Sony RX100! My crystal ball is showing me a price redux on the coolpix A soonÖ "
Not that it's the only differentiator but price is the biggest one we know of without handling the camera ourselves yet. Unlike engineering changes, it's the one thing Nikon can fix in a day if they wish.
04-19-2013, 03:49 PM   #124
Pentaxian
chickentender's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Seattle, WA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,993
QuoteOriginally posted by IchabodCrane Quote
Not that it's the only differentiator but price is the biggest one we know of without handling the camera ourselves yet. Unlike engineering changes, it's the one thing Nikon can fix in a day if they wish.
Well put.

04-19-2013, 09:06 PM   #125
Site Supporter
Aristophanes's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,922
QuoteOriginally posted by IchabodCrane Quote
Not that it's the only differentiator but price is the biggest one we know of without handling the camera ourselves yet. Unlike engineering changes, it's the one thing Nikon can fix in a day if they wish.
The awful DPR sample photos from the Coolpix A are hard to retract. Nikon has a tendency to milk the fanboys regardless of value. Cue YouTube bunker video.
04-19-2013, 09:21 PM   #126
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: 5th floor
Posts: 1,328
I think Steve Huff is a rocket scientist, isn't he?
04-23-2013, 10:37 PM   #127
Veteran Member




Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 1,352
QuoteOriginally posted by devorama Quote
Well the RX-100 sensor is about 1.5 stops smaller. The DxOMark low light score shows this, with the RX-100 having a score of ISO 390 vs the K-iis score of 1208. I'm guessing the GR will have a similar performance to the K-iis. So, a 1.5 stop difference in area, yields a 1.5 stop difference in low light performance. BUT, the RX-100 lens is about 1.3 stops faster than the GR. It has a max aperture of F/1.8 vs F/2.8. So for lower light shooting, they should be pretty similar. If you have enough light to shoot the GR at ISO 100, it should reach a level of performance the RX-100 can't touch.

I own an RX-100, and I'm thinking of selling it to buy the GR. What I love about the RX-100 is is small size and versatility. I rigged up a mini-bounce card that I taped to the pop up flash. I also taped a small tab to the back of the flash so I can easily aim the flash at the ceiling and also aim my mini-bounce card to do some forward fill. It's a very effective combo and very pocketable. The 20MP sensor is really nice and the HDR modes work well. However, I kinda feel like the Sony was designed for gadget lovers and the Ricoh was designed for photographers.
All good points.

I do wish Ricoh would make a 1" GX-300. I'd replace my wife's RX100 with that in a heartbeat, just for the user interface.

While the RX100 performs spectacularly for its size, it just isn't fun to interact with.
04-24-2013, 02:47 AM   #128
Veteran Member
frank's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Singapore
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,202
QuoteOriginally posted by Unsinkable II Quote

While the RX100 performs spectacularly for its size, it just isn't fun to interact with.
Sold my RX100 simply for the reason mentioned. It's really easy to carry around, but I seldom took out of pocket 'cause I just didn't enjoy using this dame cool camera

Bought an LX7 instead, IQ isn't in the same league, but it's so much fun to use. Now eagerly waiting for the GR to replace my X100

04-24-2013, 12:31 PM   #129
Site Supporter
Biro's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,182
I just pre-ordered the GR. Ricoh's track record with this kind of camera, as well as the images and early reviews I've seen so far, give me great confidence that this will be the compact camera to have. If I don't like it, I'll send it back.
04-24-2013, 02:34 PM   #130
Site Supporter




Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Aylesbury, Bucks
Photos: Albums
Posts: 492
Interesting that the Ricoh GR is creating more buzz than any Pentax camera since forever.

When I first heard about it, assuming that it would be price-compatible with the Coolpix A and depend on the GR faithful for sales, I did think "why not buy an X-E1 body and 18mm pancake?" But I have to say £599 looks to be amazing value. I exepected it to be double the price of the (overpriced) GRD IV minimum.

The 18mm fixed focal length is disappointingly conservative. A short zoom, 18-35mm or even 18-27mm, would have made this utterly compelling even if it added £200 to the price.

Another observation: what's the first fruit of the Ricoh-Pentax merger? TAv mode. Like, wow! To be fair, I suspect it's the same sensor as the K-5 IIs as well.
04-24-2013, 03:21 PM   #131
Veteran Member
NickLarsson's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Paris, France
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,390
Some samples: Ricoh GR - a set on Flickr

ISO 5000 looks good :


04-24-2013, 03:35 PM   #132
Veteran Member
jsherman999's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 8,228
.

This is just an exciting, simple little powerhouse of a camera. I want one.


(from stopeight)

.
04-24-2013, 05:18 PM   #133
Kiwi Pentaxian
NZ_Ross's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Timaru
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,264
QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
This is just an exciting, simple little powerhouse of a camera. I want one.
- I suspect you are not alone in your desire for this camera
04-24-2013, 08:15 PM - 1 Like   #134
Pentaxian




Join Date: Sep 2012
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,728
QuoteOriginally posted by top-quark Quote
Interesting that the Ricoh GR is creating more buzz than any Pentax camera since forever.

When I first heard about it, assuming that it would be price-compatible with the Coolpix A and depend on the GR faithful for sales, I did think "why not buy an X-E1 body and 18mm pancake?" But I have to say £599 looks to be amazing value. I exepected it to be double the price of the (overpriced) GRD IV minimum.

The 18mm fixed focal length is disappointingly conservative. A short zoom, 18-35mm or even 18-27mm, would have made this utterly compelling even if it added £200 to the price.

Another observation: what's the first fruit of the Ricoh-Pentax merger? TAv mode. Like, wow! To be fair, I suspect it's the same sensor as the K-5 IIs as well.
I'm assuming all those who are lauding the new GR for it's small size are a different group than those who said the K-01 shouldn't be any smaller since it fits so well.
04-24-2013, 11:48 PM   #135
Pentaxian




Join Date: Oct 2010
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,762
I think that this camera will be my next wideangle prime lens purchase. My widest lens by now is 18-55 zoom...
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, gr, pentax, pentax news, pentax rumors, ricoh, ricoh gr
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The new Ricoh GR anthony mazzeri Ricoh GR 20 04-29-2013 04:12 PM
Ricoh GR - Rumoured 28mm APS-C GRD Successor JPT Pentax News and Rumors 66 04-17-2013 05:43 AM
New official Ricoh GR (2013) video Asahiflex Pentax News and Rumors 193 04-17-2013 05:41 AM
NEW DFA100 macro WR ANNOUNCED officially ogl Pentax News and Rumors 8 12-09-2009 10:38 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:44 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top