Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 38 Likes Search this Thread
04-16-2013, 10:06 PM   #1
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
New Ricoh GR Officially Announced

The new 16.2MP APS-C Ricoh GR has just been announced, and it looks like it has some Pentax DNA!

Read all about it here:
Ricoh GR Officially Announced - Pentax Camera News & Rumors - PentaxForums.com

Pre-order for $799:
Ricoh GR Digital Camera 175743 B&H Photo Video

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-16-2013, 10:21 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
They really undercut Nikon on the price, and it's smaller to boot.
04-16-2013, 10:29 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Me says: "yay!"
04-16-2013, 10:33 PM   #4
Veteran Member

very nice

04-16-2013, 10:51 PM   #5
ogl
Banned

The 100% killer of Nikon Coolpix A
http://www.dpreview.com/previews/ricoh-gr/5
04-16-2013, 11:41 PM   #6
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Really liking what I see. I'll be anxiously awaiting some real world reviews.
04-16-2013, 11:54 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Looks a knock-out. Well done Ricoh.

04-17-2013, 12:34 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kenafein Quote
They really undercut Nikon on the price, and it's smaller to boot.
Indeed. If you look at the dpreview preview of it it also seems to have a much better lens, especially regarding corner sharpness.

It does appear to be just a better camera for less money.
04-17-2013, 02:11 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Appears to be a great little cam.

There must be some furrowed brows at Nikon today...
04-17-2013, 02:15 AM   #10
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote

Well only the name on it doesn't sell as good as a Nikon does. The only thing I don't understand is that why making the same camera in this niche. If it had instead off 28mm equivilent lens a 35mm equivilent lens then a new group off users would be attrackted.
04-17-2013, 02:17 AM   #11

just a liitle question , is :
12-bit Raw in DNG format ??

great camera but I hope to be 14-bit....

regards
04-17-2013, 03:30 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Well only the name on it doesn't sell as good as a Nikon does. The only thing I don't understand is that why making the same camera in this niche. If it had instead off 28mm equivilent lens a 35mm equivilent lens then a new group off users would be attrackted.
Actually in this precise niche market I think the GR name will sell more than Nikon, precisely because Ricoh has a history of releasing high quality 28mm compact cameras for years and people know what to expect from them, contrary to Nikon who is the newcomer (in the digital era).

On the forums you can see a lot of Nikon A users willing to sell it in favor of the new GR.

About the 28mm niche, we can't blame Ricoh for targeting his loyal customer base in the first place.

Last edited by NickLarsson; 04-17-2013 at 03:35 AM.
04-17-2013, 04:33 AM - 1 Like   #13
Veteran Member

A few comparisons

(1) The video contains some MTF values at F/2.8 for 15 lp/mm and 45 lp/mm (cf. attached image).
While 45 lp/mm compare to 30 lp/mm for a full frame lens, most APS-C lens data (such as on Nikon, Canon and Sigma web sites) only show 30 lp/mm data for APS-C lenses. Therefore, the above curves are pretty decent for the lens, esp. up to 90% of the image circle (or for 99% of the image area).

(2) DPR published a short preview, esp. comparing image quality with the Nikon A
-> Ricoh GR Hands-on Preview: Digital Photography Review
The Ricoh GR has a MUCH better corner performance at F/2.8.

Otherwise, the Nikon A and Ricoh GR look like siblings, with the GR being more competitively priced (but later to market).

(3) The segment of large sensor (fixed focal) fixed lens cameras starts to get crowded. A few entries (the factor is the crop factor):

- Ricoh GR (1.5x, 28mm, F2.8, 16MP, 245g)
- Nikon A (1.5x, 28mm, F2.8, 16MP, 299g)
- Fuji X100S (1.5x, 35mm, 16MP, 445g)
- Sony RX100 (2.7x, 28-100mm, F1.8-4.9, 20MP, 240g)
- Leica X2 (1.5x, 36mm, F2.8, 16MP, 345g)
- Sigma DP1/2 (1.5x, 28/50mm, F2.8, 15MP, 330g)
- Canon G1X (1.8x, 28-112mm, 14MP, 534g)
- Nokia 808 Pureview (2.7x, 26mm, F2.4, 41MP, 169g)

(4) Most of the large sensor fixed lens cameras now are really similiar and not very innovative. Too large, too heavy, too expensive, sometimes not sharp enough, sometimes too wide angle, sometimes not wide angle enough. Just clones of the Leica X which introduced the concept (AFAIK).

(5) For those wondering what I am talking about ... I own a 808 Pureview and more and more it becomes my main outdoor camera now (esp. now as I found it again after having stored it away in a way I couldn't find it anymore -- the caveat of really portable cameras ...).

The 808 is far more lightweight and portable than any other large sensor camera (it actually fits my pants' knife pocket easily), it has the most beautiful screen of them all, and most importantly, it has a resolution capable to deliver the 70mm or 100mm equivalent photos the other (non zoom) cameras lack. And the zoom-equipped versions are even more heavy, with the RX100 actually being the only which at least on paper would be able to compete (similiar dimensions except 2.5x as thick).

The only complaint so far would be that the 808 isn't exactly as responsive as a good stand-alone camera (it is ok, but this is a one picture after another camera).

So, I am wondering why nobody builds an 808-alike dedicated camera: small and capable, but with improved ergonomics for the enthusiast photographer and for action.

Nevertheless, personally I prefer the 808 as it is heads and shoulders above any of the other large sensor compacts.

To showcase, below I attach two recent photos from my 808. Actually, it is one photo, but post processed to two different versions. Taken after dawn, showing Taih fishermen.
Attached Images

View Picture EXIF
808 PureView  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
808 PureView  Photo 

Last edited by falconeye; 04-17-2013 at 04:45 AM.
04-17-2013, 04:50 AM   #14
Pentaxian

OK. Just two notes on design and communication :-) Feel free to ignore and go back to talking tech :-)

I just had a look at the dedicated homepage and the continuity from the first GR model from way back in 96 to this is noteworthy. The designers are consevative, but that is not necessarily a bad thing. Then I read this: "We won't use a design simply to stand out" Well, maybe not Ricoh but Pentax sure don't mind doing that. And "We don’t compete in a numbers game using catalog specs" - you can also read that the GR is "The world's smallest and most lightweight on cameras equipped with an APS-C size CMOS sensor. As of March 1, 2013"

You probably sense, I am not too impressed with the copy. It puzzles and saddens me how the text is littered with small grammatical blunders. In this case they likely won't loose sales on it. Still, I don't understand a global company cannot get that correct. Are the suits in Japan really so cheap they won't pay for someone to proofread, or even hire a native English speaker to write the copy? It is not like the communication department blow the money on webdesigners either. A shame! Better communication is IMO where they could gain a lot for very little investment. Now, see if you can even find the pages I am talking about: GR?PENTAX RICOH IMAGING

Despite this, I am positive towards the camera. It looks good and like a competent tool. It also seems to get a lot of positive attention around the net! My mom wants a new camera... Unfortunately (for me) this would be too hardcare for her. I don't really need it ... do I?
04-17-2013, 05:11 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by H. Sapiens Quote
I don't really need it ... do I?
Are you really sure you wouldn't like to have a K-5 IIs in your pocket ?