Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-17-2013, 07:50 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
They're not even close to the number of cameras Sony has released with this excellent sensor themselves...
True... Although Sony definitely varied more, issueing cameras with all kinds of sensors. Whilst 100% of the Pentax large sensor cameras is fitted with the exact same sensor. And now they started to infect Ricoh with it as well!

LOL, If Pentax wants to get rid of their excess stock of this Sony sensor, they should issue a double K-mount HD 3D camcorder. That'll give LBA a new dimension. (Get it?)

04-17-2013, 07:53 AM   #32
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by wigelII Quote
What do you mean?
Does the release of a fixed lens wide angle camera (who uses these?) with an old 16 MP sensor have to make us optimistic for the future?

Being cheaper than the others might be an advantage but it definitely isn't a quality of a camera
QuoteOriginally posted by grispie Quote
1. who uses these? apparently more people than you have in mind...
2. the release of a APSC sensor in a small quality body with the specs described does make me optimistic for the future. yes
+1 to what grispie said.

Old sensor?
New is always better?
Not from what I've seen on DPR and IR samples.
The AA filterless 16mp is a nice balance between low noise o/p, high ISO performance and certainly enough megapix for the enthusiast.
04-17-2013, 08:11 AM - 13 Likes   #33
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
<rant>

Maybe it is the nature of Forums - but why is it that, no matter what the new product, there is a group of posters who refuse (or are not able) to think about the product target market, how the product suits the target market, why the designers made decisions for that target market - and then why can't they think about the product as one tactical placement within an over all brand strategy? Why must every new product be the hosanna from on high total solution for 100,000,000 users' needs?

Why is it that every single product Pentax Ricoh introduces shows how stupid they are and what they could have done instead to be smart and cool and hip and sell more (if they had just done what I want?) just like Sony or Oly or Fuji. Go to the Sony or Oly or Fuji Forum. I don't want a NEX anything. I don't want the "cigarettes and a beer can" truth of compact cameras and I don't need to act cool and have one just to impress my other hipster friends.

This is a Ricoh pocket street camera for Ricoh pocket street camera users. It carries on a 30 year tradition. Nikon Coolpix A copied Ricoh. Ricoh fired back and demolished Nikon. It wasn't the other way around.

Get some knowledge and perspective and make some accurate critical conmments - if you are able.
</rant>

Last edited by monochrome; 04-17-2013 at 08:44 AM.
04-17-2013, 08:23 AM   #34

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
<rant>

Maybe it is the nature of Forums - but why is it that, no matter what the new product, there is a group of posters who refuse (or are not able) to think about the product target market, how the product suits the target market, why the designers made decisions for that target market - and then think of the product as one tactical placement within an over all brand strategy. Why must every new peroduct be the hosanna from on high total solution for 100,000,000 users' needs?

Why is it that every single product Pentax Ricoh introduces shows how stupid they are and what they could have done instead to be smart and cool and hip and sell more (if they had just done what I want?) just like Sony or Oly or Fuji. Go to the Sony or Oly or Fuji Forum. I don't want a NEX anything. I don't want the "cigarettes and a beer can" truth of compact cameras and I don't need to act cool and have one just to impress my other hipster friends.

This is a Ricoh pocket street camera for Ricoh pocket street camera users. It carries on a 30 year tradition. Nikon Coolpix A copied Ricoh. Ricoh fired back and demolished Nikon. It wasn't the other way around.

Get some knowledge and perspective and make some accurate critical conmments - if you are able.
</rant>
Yes bro! Nikon copied Ricoh and now Ricoh shows them how its done!

Personally., I like the fact that this camera is on what - its 8th iteration or something close to that. A refinement. An evolution.

Check out the GR special site: GR | PENTAX RICOH IMAGING

Read how they themselves describe the camera. There is depth and soul behind the GR. And a main selling point is that the features are the result of years of user feedback, and that this will continue with firmware updates adding more functionality. I bet they already have some planned.

I also love their little attentions to things - like protecting the LCD so I don't have to buy the ACMAXX protector. That also the result of feedback. And the fact that I can use my GV-2 viewfinder from my GRD4...

04-17-2013, 08:33 AM - 2 Likes   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
<rant>

Maybe it is the nature of Forums - but why is it that, no matter what the new product, there is a group of posters who refuse (or are not able) to think about the product target market, how the product suits the target market, why the designers made decisions for that target market - and then think of the product as one tactical placement within an over all brand strategy. Why must every new peroduct be the hosanna from on high total solution for 100,000,000 users' needs?

</rant>
Can I get an amen?
04-17-2013, 08:34 AM - 1 Like   #36
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
LOL, If Pentax wants to get rid of their excess stock of this Sony sensor, they should issue a double K-mount HD 3D camcorder. That'll give LBA a new dimension. (Get it?)
So if you mount two FA31s on that camcorder, with their famous 3d rendering - does that give you 9 dimensional pictures?
04-17-2013, 08:41 AM   #37
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Why wouldn't someone grab a (for example) NEX5N instead?
The Sony is tiny, but not in a functioning assemblage. At least you need a lens, here we go:
Compact Camera Meter
Just an example, I would assume the border between pocketable and not lies directly between that. And with the GR you get a sharp image border to border, unlike with the Sony pancake.

Last edited by MMVIII; 04-17-2013 at 08:48 AM. Reason: added quote
04-17-2013, 08:43 AM   #38
Veteran Member

So if you mount two FA31s on that camcorder, with their famous 3d rendering - does that give you 9 dimensional pictures?
At which point time/space would rip open and the shooter would turn into a beam of light and envelop everthing around them.
04-17-2013, 08:45 AM   #39
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MMVIII Quote
The Sony is tiny, but not in a functioning assemblage. At least you need a lens, here we go:
Compact Camera Meter
Just an example, I would assume the border between pocketable and not lies directly between that. And with the GR you get a sharp image border to border, unlike with the Sony pancake.
The Sigma 19mm is no slouch though.
04-17-2013, 08:48 AM   #40
Veteran Member

After seeing that there is a 10MP crop mode for a 24mm APSC/35mm FF equivalent frame, it's much much much more attractive to me. I'd just set it into that mode for all my shooting...
04-17-2013, 08:52 AM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote
At which point time/space would rip open and the shooter would turn into a beam of light and envelop everthing around them.
Someone likes the science fiction LOL.
04-17-2013, 08:53 AM   #42
Pentaxian

The Sigma 19mm is no slouch though.
Agreed, but here we go again:

Compact Camera Meter

Size/IQ-ratio is a major point here.

Last edited by MMVIII; 04-17-2013 at 08:58 AM.
04-17-2013, 08:56 AM   #43
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
This report has some interesting pictures from the Japanese launch event, including custom models and more branded watches!

http://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/20130417_596344.html

I think that slide that graphs their line-up is interesting because it still includes the GXR system.

Google translated
Google Translate
this should make ogl breahe easier.....

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
Someone likes the science fiction LOL.
whaaaat? whatchu mean?
04-17-2013, 09:06 AM   #44
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
This report has some interesting pictures from the Japanese launch event, including custom models and more branded watches!

http://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/20130417_596344.html

I think that slide that graphs their line-up is interesting because it still includes the GXR system.

Google translated
Google Translate
Oh man - I want the Pentax K watch...

[

04-17-2013, 09:09 AM   #45
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
Oh man - I want the Pentax K watch...
I want one of each, one for each wrist.