Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-17-2013, 09:14 AM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ricoh GR-1 Vs Nikon 28Ti - Photo.net photo.net Forum

I posted that in the Ricoh forum.... it's a pretty hilarious read, in the context of this thread here. It's from 1998.....

04-17-2013, 09:17 AM   #47
Veteran Member

Ricoh vs Nikon...

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
Oh man - I want the Pentax K watch...

[
On the nasty website who won't allow other websites to be even mentioned, they have a quick preview of it, Comparing it to the Nikon Coolpix A, but it blows the Nikon right out of the water...

doubleU doubleU doubleU dot dee pree viu . com/previews/ricoh-gr/5

Looks impressive.

Cheers,
Cameron
04-17-2013, 09:19 AM   #48
Veteran Member

One thing the Ricoh JP presentation highlighted is the Eye-Fi support in the GR, using an iPhone and iPad to illustrate the feature - eg transporting DNG's into an iPad from the GR via Eye Fi. Haven't seen that mentioned in reviews so far. Looks cool. Almost looks like tethering.
04-17-2013, 09:21 AM   #49
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote
Ricoh GR-1 Vs Nikon 28Ti - Photo.net photo.net Forum

I posted that in the Ricoh forum.... it's a pretty hilarious read, in the context of this thread here. It's from 1998.....
Classic. From the first [post:
They are both nice cameras. No one can tell you which one to buy, unless they are an incredibly self absorbed bore. The Ricoh is cheaper, and every time one of these discussions get started, the guys with the Ricohs chime in that they love them, so the buyers appear to be happy. Same is true for the folks who choose the Nikon instead.

It is pretty amusing that 15 years ago people were making exactly the same comments about 28mm fixed lens and if Ricoh wanted to sell a whole lot of cameras they would (whatever the poster personally thinks is important).

04-17-2013, 09:44 AM   #50
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
It is pretty amusing that 15 years ago people were making exactly the same comments about 28mm fixed lens and if Ricoh wanted to sell a whole lot of cameras they would (whatever the poster personally thinks is important).
Zacktly. I was personally shooting Nikon film SLR back then (though far less involved than the past 7 or 8 years). Folks that really use the cams as more than just the 'fastest/best' tech on the market sort of standpoint, they gravitate to a particular cam or line for much more intuitive sorts of reasons. For me personally this new GR happens to fit both bills *for now*... but I suspect it will fit the latter (again, for me) for a much longer period of time. I preordered it last night - first time I've ever preordered anything. Only instance that came close was ordering the K7 2 days after it hit stores... but the leadup was the same - I was just personally confident, based on use of past models, that where the line was going was exactly what I wanted and in that case I was not let down. In any case... spec wars are boring to me. I'd rather just shoot. (one of my fav shots of mine in the past year was from me grabbing my girlfriend's iPhone 4 in the car a few weeks back... and i don't care for iAnything, personally). So anyhow.... just shoot.
04-17-2013, 10:02 AM   #51
Veteran Member

I'm very interested in the GR. It seems like an amazing camera for strobists. 1/2000 sec flash sync with EXTERNAL flash. Built in ND filter. Manual flash power of built-in flash. Rear curtain flash. The only thing I wish it had was a way to point the flash upwards like on my Sony RX-100.
04-17-2013, 10:21 AM - 2 Likes   #52
MSM
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
<rant>

Maybe it is the nature of Forums - but why is it that, no matter what the new product, there is a group of posters who refuse (or are not able) to think about the product target market, how the product suits the target market, why the designers made decisions for that target market - and then why can't they think about the product as one tactical placement within an over all brand strategy? Why must every new product be the hosanna from on high total solution for 100,000,000 users' needs?

Why is it that every single product Pentax Ricoh introduces shows how stupid they are and what they could have done instead to be smart and cool and hip and sell more (if they had just done what I want?) just like Sony or Oly or Fuji. Go to the Sony or Oly or Fuji Forum. I don't want a NEX anything. I don't want the "cigarettes and a beer can" truth of compact cameras and I don't need to act cool and have one just to impress my other hipster friends.

This is a Ricoh pocket street camera for Ricoh pocket street camera users. It carries on a 30 year tradition. Nikon Coolpix A copied Ricoh. Ricoh fired back and demolished Nikon. It wasn't the other way around.

Get some knowledge and perspective and make some accurate critical conmments - if you are able.
</rant>

+1. I think the rhetoric of Ricoh copying Nikon comes from Ricoh's history of making fine Copiers ...

04-17-2013, 10:49 AM   #53
Inactive Account

now this looks great. It looks as the perfect light landscape camera. I could bring it with me on my bike with no problems. Also great for casual indoor shooting of people (clubs, dinners etc…).

I'm still waiting to see what will Pentax bring to the table, but so far I like what I see from Ricoh. I can see myself thining my DSLR bag in favour of this little beatuy. Call me crazy, but I'd rather buy this than a DA 15 Limited to satisfy my thirst for a compact wide.
04-17-2013, 10:55 AM   #54
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dankoBanana Quote
now this looks great. It looks as the perfect light landscape camera. I could bring it with me on my bike with no problems. Also great for casual indoor shooting of people (clubs, dinners etc…).

I'm still waiting to see what will Pentax bring to the table, but so far I like what I see from Ricoh. I can see myself thining my DSLR bag in favour of this little beatuy. Call me crazy, but I'd rather buy this than a DA 15 Limited to satisfy my thirst for a compact wide.
That's exactly why I bought a GRDIII for travel. I packed along my K7 with a 50mm, but the Ricoh was invaluable on the road.
04-17-2013, 11:02 AM   #55
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote
That's exactly why I bought a GRDIII for travel. I packed along my K7 with a 50mm, but the Ricoh was invaluable on the road.
I agree. With it, I can totaly reshufftle my lens needs. Suddenly, when I'm going traveling with my GF I don't want a zoom on my k5 to cover my needs. She can have the GR and I can take a k5+DA*55 and we have everything covered
04-17-2013, 11:08 AM   #56
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
Offer in a reasonably priced optical VF attached to the hotshot and perhaps a couple of optional lens screw-ins (wider angle and maybe a macro ) like the Fuji X100 and you have an exceptional little system.

Blows away Nikon and Canon's offerings, and Fuji, too. About time. Get the price right from the start and people will look not just at the camera, but at the brand.
+1
04-17-2013, 11:12 AM   #57
Veteran Member

$800 seems like just about the right price to me. ~$150 more than the RX100 for a far superior camera. I'll probably be selling my Sony and picking one of these up.
04-17-2013, 12:02 PM   #58
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
+1 to what grispie said.

Old sensor?
New is always better?
Not from what I've seen on DPR and IR samples.
The AA filterless 16mp is a nice balance between low noise o/p, high ISO performance and certainly enough megapix for the enthusiast.
In fact, the statement was a reply to the "optimistic for the Pentax future" statement.
I use a K5 (not II) and I am rather happy with that "old" sensor (even when it is just at the limit because I print at A2 and +) but when I see that Ricoh can only release something (that I would even buy if it came with a 35 or 40 mm eq lens - and no, the crop mode isn't a good enough alternative) that just combines some existing Pentax stuff with a less than impressive evolution of existing Ricoh stuff, I see no reason to become optimistic about Pentax future (not negative either. I just still have the same doubt as before the release - which means that, for over a year now, I don't buy any Pentax lenses - although I need some - anymore because I don't know if I won't terribly regret it soon)

And by the way, the fact that the only new Pentax K model that is released is a WATCH, doesn't make me optimistic either (but at least we can now say that Pentax released a new K model ;-)

Last edited by wigelII; 04-17-2013 at 12:05 PM. Reason: forgot something
04-17-2013, 12:07 PM   #59
Forum Member

I really dont want to ruin the party but I see things in the pictures that seem to be sharper (or more in focus) with the Nikon. Look at the green "leaves" up to the right, together with the feather. I also wonder why the Ricohs corner have the black stripes saw-tothed. Look upper right. Pixels?

I seen comparisonpictures from dpreview before that obviously not were in focus and maybe the cameras focusplane are different so you can get a lot of results dependeing on what you give priority to.
Am I completely way off?

http://www.dpreview.com/previews/ricoh-gr/5
04-17-2013, 12:12 PM   #60
MSM
Veteran Member

Did I see something about charging the battery with a USB connector?

Also, what do you all think this means for the GXR system???