Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 38 Likes Search this Thread
04-25-2013, 01:05 AM   #136
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
I think that this camera will be my next wideangle prime lens purchase. My widest lens by now is 18-55 zoom...
Oh. I thought my next prime lens purchase would be the DA21 or DA15. Now you've put ideas in my head

04-25-2013, 02:06 AM   #137
Pentaxian

I have been thinking of those lenses too but this 'prime' would be more easy to sell as idea for my wifey...when I talk about getting new lens it is usually followed by 'that look'. But this she might be interested of using too

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
Oh. I thought my next prime lens purchase would be the DA21 or DA15. Now you've put ideas in my head
04-25-2013, 01:37 PM   #138
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
I just keep thinking how nice it would be, if probably impractical for Pentax, to make one of these at 15, 20, and 35mm. Limited aps-c bodies, fixed lens, $800 each.

04-25-2013, 02:33 PM   #139
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
I just keep thinking how nice it would be, if probably impractical for Pentax, to make one of these at 15, 20, and 35mm. Limited aps-c bodies, fixed lens, $800 each.

Instead of lens of the day, camera of the day. They are selling a matched wide angle adapter for the camera, and a 35mm mode. I think your idea is kind of what they had in mind with the GXR.

04-25-2013, 06:35 PM   #140
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MSM Quote
When did you see the price of the X100 drop. The Camera was 1300 at start and got down to just below 1100 right before being discontinued. I don't think you are going to see a significant drop in the X100s anytime soon. I mean in the next year. Fuji is (perhaps rightfully) proud of their now very successful X series. It will always be a fair amount more expensive. If a drop does occur, you can bet it is due to sluggish sales as they saturate their niche. Don't get me wrong, I love me the Fuji too. I just think the GR looks like a real winner. The X100s is just to rich for me and my needs.

As note above, they are not really comparable as much as many want to make outside of the APS-C sensor size.
The X100 was around US$700 all over HK the last time I looked.
04-25-2013, 07:51 PM   #141
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
I think that this camera will be my next wideangle prime lens purchase. My widest lens by now is 18-55 zoom...
I had the exact same thought. It would satisfy my desire for a wide prime and pocketable compact. I want an economical wide for my K-7 and a quality P&S. This could do double duty. You know, before last year's crazy US price hike, I would have just gone for the 21mm Limited. Now, the GR looks very tempting.
04-25-2013, 08:25 PM - 1 Like   #142

for those who continue to wish this had a zoom lens, keep looking....and move along. The only reason this camera exists is to be pocketable with wicked IQ. Zooms do not fit into that subset. I feel like a broken record.

04-25-2013, 08:36 PM   #143
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
There is a real difference between cameras that fit in a shirt pocket, and those that do not. Truly a 'one you have with you' kind of thing.

My Olympus XZ-1 has a zoom -- 28-112mm equiv -- and fits in my pocket. The GR has a proper sensor (forget about a zoom, as the post above notes), and is even smaller than the XZ-1. 28mm? I'm used to that... the XZ-1 starts up at 28mm, and most of your snapshots are at the default startup focal length, aren't they?

I'm starting to save for Christmas. Learning that the GR has my K-01's TAv ability is a real plus!
04-26-2013, 04:26 AM   #144
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lukinosity Quote
for those who continue to wish this had a zoom lens, keep looking....and move along. The only reason this camera exists is to be pocketable with wicked IQ. Zooms do not fit into that subset. I feel like a broken record.
Your opinion noted. Here's the thing: with its 28mm fixed AOV it will appeal to those who dig what the GR line of cameras do, but hold no appeal for those who don't. A 1.5x - 2x zoom, perhaps with variable aperture to keep the size low, could still have been retractable and the camera pocketable. With a zoom it would be a candidate for the best fixed-lens digital camera EVAH. With a fixed lens, it's just a decent evolution of the GRD line.
04-26-2013, 04:33 AM   #145
Veteran Member

Seems that those who are interested in the GR should pre-order it NOW

4 reasons to get the Ricoh GRD IV right now - F8 | Wedding documentary photography | Fort Lauderdale

"You will have to wait a while for the GR
It happened for the GXR M Mount, it will happen again for the Ricoh GR. If you did not preorder early, you can be ready for shortages and backorders. The release date of a camera is no indication of when you will actually hold it in your hands! Also prepare for inflated prices. When the GXR M came out, the price of $650 went up to $900+ to get your hands on it. Everybody is going to swarm over that camera, that means you will have to wait a bit till things cool down to get it if you wee not an early adopter."
04-26-2013, 04:35 AM   #146
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by top-quark Quote
With a zoom it would be a candidate for the best fixed-lens digital camera EVAH.
I'd rather have a "K01, second try", with the following:
  • thinner, more lightweight body than the K01
  • built-in small EVF like the NEX-7
  • a tiny new kit zoom that collapses into the vacant mirror housing so it's no larger than the XS40 when not in use

With the thinner body and the zoom fully collapsed, it could be smaller than the G1 X - and still have the advantage of K-mount:

Compare camera dimensions side by side
04-26-2013, 05:07 AM   #147
Pentaxian

For those of you who are craving a compact camera with an APS-C sensor and a zoom lens and whom Ricoh GR is definitely not meant for, Pentax is said by a Pentax official (the CEO of Pentax Ricoh China) to be developing a professional (whatever that means) compact camera with an APS-C sensor and a retro style à la MX-1:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/222768-pentax-p-e2013-...mera-more.html

I am pretty sure this camera will have a zoom lens. Think Canon G1 X but APS-C sensor (1.5" sensor with 1.33:1 aspect ratio in G1 X) and Pentax MX-1 look (top and bottom plates made of brass and so on).
04-26-2013, 05:48 AM   #148
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by top-quark Quote
With a fixed lens, it's just a decent evolution of the GRD line.
Actually, i have always liked the GRD line, but never got around buying one. This is the first in the series that i am really considering to buy. I don't think this kind of cam needs a zoom. I travelled once with a pentax slr & only a 28mm prime & i got great pictures thanks to the focal restriction. I made pictures i would not have made otherwise.

the other thing i am interested in though, is its movie mode. I have not heard or seen a lot about that...
04-26-2013, 10:38 AM   #149
Veteran Member

I just got an e-mail from B&H... my separate purchase of the Ricoh-branded external battery charger and extra Ricoh-branded battery have been shipped. I consider both accessories must-haves. I guess I'm semi-committed. It would be nice if the actual GR arrived two weeks before the estimated availability date of May 15. But I'm not holding my breath.
04-26-2013, 10:48 AM   #150
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Biro Quote
I just got an e-mail from B&H... my separate purchase of the Ricoh-branded external battery charger and extra Ricoh-branded battery have been shipped. I consider both accessories must-haves. I guess I'm semi-committed. It would be nice if the actual GR arrived two weeks before the estimated availability date of May 15. But I'm not holding my breath.
Well, at least you'll be ready to shoot as soon as it gets there. It doesn't come with a battery charger though? Sony stopped shipping their NEX cameras with an external charger too. How much can that really cost them? The USB charger is painfully slow on the NEX. I imagine it would also be slow for the Ricoh.