Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 38 Likes Search this Thread
04-26-2013, 11:04 AM   #151
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kenafein Quote
Well, at least you'll be ready to shoot as soon as it gets there. It doesn't come with a battery charger though? Sony stopped shipping their NEX cameras with an external charger too. How much can that really cost them? The USB charger is painfully slow on the NEX. I imagine it would also be slow for the Ricoh.
Yes, the GR comes equipped to charge the battery in-camera. It's bit of a kick in the head given the price of the GR. Fortunately, it's the same battery that's in a number of existing Ricoh cameras and the existing external charger works.

04-26-2013, 11:25 AM   #152
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Biro Quote
Yes, the GR comes equipped to charge the battery in-camera. It's bit of a kick in the head given the price of the GR. Fortunately, it's the same battery that's in a number of existing Ricoh cameras and the existing external charger works.
I think the camera, overall, is a very good value. It's simply absurd, and insulting, to skimp out on such a cheap(and expected) component. It seems to be the way that camera companies are going though(so, I'm not singling out Ricoh.).
04-26-2013, 12:12 PM   #153
Pentaxian

Yes,Samsung and Olympus for example...
04-27-2013, 11:36 AM   #154
Veteran Member

Sony is doing USB charging in-camera a lot too.

I initially disliked it but have started to see it's advantages. I can now charge my mobile phone, my RX100 and my NEX with simply one USB cable. Very handy, esp when travelling.

04-27-2013, 01:01 PM   #155
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I can also see many positive things in USB charging.
04-27-2013, 01:02 PM   #156
Pentaxian

And USB charger with car adapter is very practical.
04-27-2013, 03:36 PM   #157
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
It will often be very slow. But that's the only disadvantage I see.

04-29-2013, 08:13 AM   #158
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by kenafein Quote
Well, at least you'll be ready to shoot as soon as it gets there. It doesn't come with a battery charger though? Sony stopped shipping their NEX cameras with an external charger too. How much can that really cost them? The USB charger is painfully slow on the NEX. I imagine it would also be slow for the Ricoh.
Who said the GR didn't come w a proper charger? I'm playing w a retail version GR now, there is a charger (AC-U1) and a battery (DB-65) in the box. I got the optional half leather case and wide conversion lens in the bag (of course not in the retail box) too Will post some photos during the Labor Day holiday
04-29-2013, 08:15 AM   #159
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by frank Quote
Who said the GR didn't come w a proper charger? I'm playing w a retail version GR now, there is a charger (AC-U1) and a battery (DB-65) in the box. I got the optional half leather case and wide conversion lens in the bag (of course not in the retail box) too Will post some photos during the Labor Day holiday
Thanks for the full update
04-29-2013, 08:18 AM   #160
Veteran Member

And this thing is TINY! I bought a very nice handmade sheep leather bag/pouch for my sold RX100, which I kept for my LX7, but it's just a bit too small for the LX7 . And you know what? The GR fits in perfectly! It's like the pouch was made for GR in the first place
04-29-2013, 11:36 AM   #161
Veteran Member

Frank: every try a Sigma DP Merrill? Curious how the GR will stack up against it. I think the GR will kill it on focusing speed and high-ISO performance.
04-29-2013, 03:36 PM   #162
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by frank Quote
Who said the GR didn't come w a proper charger? I'm playing w a retail version GR now, there is a charger (AC-U1) and a battery (DB-65) in the box.
I assume the AC-U1 is for charging the battery in-camera via the USB port, similar to the Sony RX100's charger? The actual battery-substitute AC adapter is called the AC-5c, so the similar naming indicates this might be the case.

The proper external battery charger for the GRD and GR is actually the BJ-6. It is listed as an optional accessory on the official product site.
04-29-2013, 03:45 PM   #163
Veteran Member

I love in camera charging, it's a god send whilst travelling to reduce the ridiculous number of chargers & power bricks I use to have to take. I wish my K-5 had it too.

As for the GR, it looks superb, same thickness and height as my RX100 and just a bit wider. The only thing stopping it being a good companion to a RX100 is that the Sony has very good IQ at 28mm-equiv and is fast at the wide end too. The GR would be a good companion to a DSLR + lenses but I don't now it would be better than a RX100 in such a role.
04-29-2013, 03:58 PM   #164
Veteran Member

Actually, I'm wondering if the DB-65 battery and BJ-6 charger is exactly the same as the GRD, why is the AC adapter different now - Ac-5c instead of AC-4c? What could possibly be different?

For those unfamiliar with the AC adapter, it's for long time exposures etc in the form of a faux plastic battery which slots into the (DB-65) battery bay. I have a perfectly good 4c and don't really want to be buying a new 5c.
04-29-2013, 04:26 PM   #165
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
It gets around EU regulations on proprietary electronic device chargers.

It's here to stay. Get used to it.