Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 17 Likes Search this Thread
04-19-2013, 10:07 PM   #16
Inactive Account

Im actually in the market for a watch but I will probably just grab an iPod Nano as it has a plethora of straps available depending on what I'm wearing. I was also considering and independent MP3 player from my phone so it kinda kills two birds with one stone. Also can use with the Nike+ system to monitor my heart rate while I'm cycling- not a fan of the looks of the Pebble - form over function to some degree here

04-19-2013, 10:14 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Does it have shake reduction?
04-19-2013, 10:19 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tonto Quote
Im actually in the market for a watch but I will probably just grab an iPod Nano as it has a plethora of straps available depending on what I'm wearing. I was also considering and independent MP3 player from my phone so it kinda kills two birds with one stone. Also can use with the Nike+ system to monitor my heart rate while I'm cycling- not a fan of the looks of the Pebble - form over function to some degree here
For a serious cycler Nike+ really blows. I suggest garmin edge.
04-19-2013, 10:42 PM   #19
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Fontan Quote
For a serious cycler Nike+ really blows. I suggest garmin edge.
I don't need it for cadence or speed I have my dedicated one for that.

Just noticed Apple no longer sell the Nano 6th ed, they have gone back to the previous form factor- oh well.

04-19-2013, 11:16 PM   #20
Inactive Account

i would love to have one of not both of theas watches i wounder if thell ship over seas
04-20-2013, 04:15 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Fontan Quote
I was told by a reliable source that tpm (ticks per minute) for this watch is only 60. This is very concerning.
The term used by watch collectors is beats per minute and 60 would make these watches unique. But, because they're quartz, it really isn't a relevant measure.
04-20-2013, 05:23 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think they would look better in all black.

04-20-2013, 05:30 AM   #23
Inactive Account

I have a super hard time understanding this "Limited for japanese market" thing.
What are they thinking? Does the money from the rest of the world isn't good enough?
04-20-2013, 05:43 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Apapukas Quote
I have a super hard time understanding this "Limited for japanese market" thing.
What are they thinking? Does the money from the rest of the world isn't good enough?
Very common with Japanese companies. Seiko, as an example using watches, has entire lines that are only available in Japan and are among their absolute best watches. I have gone through specialty middle-men in Japan in order to purchase special Seiko watches and would do so again if I could find the one last model that I want.

Speaking as a recovering Watch Collector , these models are rather nice for the price they are asking (~$249). Often the promotion branded watches are just pure garbage. If you are into techno watches they present with some nice features, are water resistant to 10BAR, have sapphire crystals, are stainless steel in construction, alarms, dual time zones, and several other features. Among watch collectors I'm like the camera folks that use K1000s and other film-era cameras, I really have almost all manual and automatic watches. The three quartz watches that I have were gifts.
04-20-2013, 05:53 AM   #25
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Very common with Japanese companies. Seiko, as an example using watches, has entire lines that are only available in Japan and are among their absolute best watches. I have gone through specialty middle-men in Japan in order to purchase special Seiko watches and would do so again if I could find the one last model that I want.
Are they not losing money and reputation this way?
04-20-2013, 05:58 AM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't know about watches, but sometimes regulatory restrictions and import duties on a product category make selling them in certain markets cost-prohibitive.
04-20-2013, 06:01 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Apapukas Quote
Are they not losing money and reputation this way?
No, not really. They see the distribution and support as significant investments. Seiko in the Home market supports their high-end products rather well. Providing the same caliber of support outside the Home market would be costly and not a certainty in their view. Distribution is another issue, as Pentax has seen in the US. The type of dedication that a major company receives, and gives, from its employees in Japan is not matched many other places. Also, only a few aficionados know about the truly marvelous watches made only for the Home market and we have found ways to obtain them despite our disadvantage of not being born Japanese
04-20-2013, 06:06 AM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
ew..look at that banding!- in all seriousness, I would consider getting the metal Pentax K watch.
04-20-2013, 06:08 AM   #29
Inactive Account

No, not really. They see the distribution and support as significant investments. Seiko in the Home market supports their high-end products rather well. Providing the same caliber of support outside the Home market would be costly and not a certainty in their view. Distribution is another issue, as Pentax has seen in the US. The type of dedication that a major company receives, and gives, from its employees in Japan is not matched many other places. Also, only a few aficionados know about the truly marvelous watches made only for the Home market and we have found ways to obtain them despite our disadvantage of not being born Japanese
That makes sense. I understand it now, thank you
04-20-2013, 06:20 AM - 1 Like   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Also, only a few aficionados know about the truly marvelous watches made only for the Home market and we have found ways to obtain them despite our disadvantage of not being born Japanese
I took me only a few minutes to order one last evening. I did it with my Tenso account which I have used for other "japanese only" items.