Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-29-2013, 07:17 AM   #166
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wed7 Quote
Sometimes f2.8 isn't just enough
No its not. I will say that the DR and low noise of the K-5 has allowed me to shoot more at F/2.8 that I would have with a K-7. For event work where images will be used on the web or in low grade print (posters/promo pieces), I don't worry about ISO 3200.

Fast primes (F/1.4- F/2.0) tend to be noticeably sharper when stopped down to F/2.8 than native F/2.8 lenses.

04-29-2013, 12:12 PM   #167
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Edgar_in_Indy Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by Thibaud Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
I hope that Sigma makes it available for K-mount. I shoot musical performances pretty often and a fast 200mm equiv. would be welcome for the times you are shooting from a closed balcony.

I rented the Canon 200L a couple of times for weddings where we had balcony access and we could have a 2nd or 3rd tog present.

The DA* 200mm is to long and the D-FA* 100mm macro is just too slow (AF) and to short for many large interior venues. My Sigma 85mm is a phenomenal lens, but too short for many venues. A 135mm F/1.8 would be a welcome addition to my bag.

Hopefully Pentax releases a new D-FA* 50mm F/1.2, D-FA* 85mm F/1.4, & D-FA* 135mm F/1.8 to go with the new Pentax FF body.
Why not use the DA* 50-135 ?
It sounds like he is shooting in dim environments, and f/1.8 will allow a significantly faster shutter speed than f/2.8. That's the exact reason I purchased my Sigma 85mm f/1.4
Or maybe he's like myself and just loves narrow D O F shots. I have a DA* 50-135 and would love a D-FA* 50mm F/1.2, D-FA* 85mm F/1.4, & D-FA* 135mm F/1.8

I already have an A50/1.2 but would love a DA* version and even better would almost cut a leg off for a DA* 30/1.2 - and yes I know it would be BIG

Last edited by Smeggypants; 04-29-2013 at 04:10 PM.
04-29-2013, 01:17 PM   #168
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Smeggypants Quote
Or maybe he's like myself and just loves narrow DOF shots. I have a DA* 50-135 and would love a D-FA* 50mm F/1.2, D-FA* 85mm F/1.4, & D-FA* 135mm F/1.8

I already have an A50/1.2 but would love a DA* version and even better would almost cut a leg off for a DA* 30/1.2 - and yes I know it would be BIG
I do love the narrow DoF... Probably too much. I get in the habit of using it too much and some times its a mistake. I mainly shoot people and events, so subject isolation is very important. I do shoot some environmental portraits, but even then I am pretty selective about what I want in focus. It has to be a really interesting and amazing scene for me to want everything in focus.
04-29-2013, 01:44 PM   #169
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Smeggypants Quote
A K30/2.8 with ring motor and modern coating would already VERY nice

04-29-2013, 04:11 PM   #170
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
A K30/2.8 with ring motor and modern coating would already VERY nice
I've already got a Sigma 30/1.4, but a modern 30mm version of the A50/1.2 would be amazing
04-29-2013, 04:13 PM   #171
Veteran Member

I do love the narrow DoF... Probably too much. I get in the habit of using it too much and some times its a mistake. I mainly shoot people and events, so subject isolation is very important. I do shoot some environmental portraits, but even then I am pretty selective about what I want in focus. It has to be a really interesting and amazing scene for me to want everything in focus.
By far the vast majority of comments I read and hear about wide aperture lenses is in relation to lower light shooting, or stopping them down to a get a sharper 2.8 than a max 2.8 lens. I'm suprised narrow D OF shooting isn't more popular..
04-29-2013, 05:40 PM   #172
Veteran Member

Hey, you know... Perhaps those who would really LOVE shallow DoF from lenses as wished as above are in the wrong camps.. Haha!
Pentax has always been about being small since film days i believe...

In that context, currently i think it is IMPOSSIBLE for Pentax to provide a superbly fast aperture lenses at all.
Why?

Fast lens = Big lens = No, no for Pentax who insists on it being all small and kawaii.
Unless, mirrorless = No, no for Pentax because of them wanting to maintain a K mount = 42mm flange distance

So, there you have it, we can all dream on for them to produce a really fast lens unless they give up either of the 2 main points:

1) Stop attempting to be stupid by forever attempting to be kawaii..
2) Adopt a more flexible K mount.

Oh, of course, option 3) If you can't change the problem, change the solution..

Last edited by SyncGuy; 04-29-2013 at 07:07 PM.
04-29-2013, 06:00 PM - 1 Like   #173
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by SyncGuy Quote
Hey, you know... Perhaps those who would really LOVE shallow DoF from lenses as wished as above are in the wrong camps.. Haha!

In that context, currently i think it is IMPOSSIBLE for Pentax to provide a superbly fast aperture lenses at all.
Why?
Not that the Pentax 43/1.9 isn't fast and tiny, but isn't this posting about Sigma lenses?
04-29-2013, 06:37 PM - 1 Like   #174
Veteran Member

Why?

Fast lens = Big lens = No, no for Pentax who insists on it being all small and kawaii.
Unless, mirrorless = No, no for Pentax because of them wanting to maintain a K mount = 42mm flange distance

So, there you have it, we can all dream on for them to produce a really fast lens unless they give up either of the 2 main points:

You do realize Pentax made a A* 135mm F/1.8 and an FA* 85mm F/1.4. back in the film days. So your context is wrong.
04-29-2013, 06:49 PM   #175
Veteran Member

Why?

Probably worth learning some pentax history before posting Haha!

Not only the examples by Winder above, but I already own a Pentax A 50mm F/1.2 and ... A50/1.4 & FA/1.4 Haha!

All at 42mm Flange distance! Haha!

The Canon 50/1.2 costs a fortune compared to the Pentax version. Haha!

Your 2 points are irrelevant Haha!

oh and btw ....

Haha!

04-29-2013, 07:04 PM   #176
Veteran Member

Dude, i'm talking about now, this era...
Pentax DID those back then, but not now... Coz they are oh-so-fixated with being small and kawaii... Sure, a ~50mm relatively fast aperture is quite simple to construct..
How about for other FLs this era, which you guys are in now and wishing for it?

That's why i say "currently".. C'mon guys, we're in the 20-something century already.. Stop dwelling in the 17th or 18th.. -_-"
04-29-2013, 07:08 PM   #177
Veteran Member

This statement is false.

Dude, i'm talking about now, this era...
Pentax DID those back then, but not now
No you were talking about the "film days".

Pentax has not made any really fast glass because there aren't enough Pentax users willing to spend any money. Sigma has filled the void nicely, probably better than Pentax could have. I really don't want to pay $1,000 for re-branded Tokina glass.
04-29-2013, 07:11 PM   #178
Veteran Member

This statement is false.

No you were talking about the "film days".
Erm... would you like to re-read my post #172?

And maybe i'm wrong about being small?
But say, wasn't the M bodies and series of lenses were meant to replace the previous generations, marked by it being a small system compared to the others?
And this carried on to the next generations until today where almost every Pentaxian would have to agree that that current bodies offered are relatively more compact than the other camps, no?

Sure, the "normal" focal length lenses are pretty easy to make fast and perhaps small enough.
But talking of anything wider and faster, take a look at the current market offerings from across all systems offered and i believe we all know what we mean...

It then leads again to post #172; go read it again.
04-29-2013, 07:13 PM   #179
Veteran Member

Since Ricoh had made the statement that they want to compete at the same level as Nikon and Canon they will need those large professional grade lenses.

Sony released the 24-70 F/2.8 and the CZ 85mm & CZ 135mm when they released the A900. i expect we will see a similar announcement from Pentax when the K-1 is announced.

D-FA* 50mm F/1.2, D-FA* 85mm F/1.4, & D-FA* 135mm F/1.8 would be a great addition and those lenses all existed in MF form in the Pentax line-up in the past, so its not much of a strech.

Fuji just changed its announced 56mm F/1.4 to a F/1.2. Fast glass has a market.