Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-23-2013, 06:59 AM - 1 Like   #61
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Also, I'm really wondering where Sigma is getting the cash.
I can tell you where they got some of that cash. Hint: Look at my signature! And I just sent them another big wad of cash with the 85mm I bought a few weeks ago.

Without Sigma, I daresay I would have left Pentax a long time ago. Pentax's selection of lenses is too limited, too expensive, and the SDM situation has left a bad taste in my mouth. If Sigma and Tamron really do stop releasing lenses for Pentax, then I think that would be the death knell for this once-great camera maker. And if Sigma lenses like the 18-35mm 1.8, 120-300mm f/2.8, and the proposed 135mm 1.8 (and whatever other great lenses they release in the future) never make it to K-mount, then I don't see myself staying with Pentax.

Somebody at Pentax should be talking to the people at Sigma and Tamron, begging them to continue to support the K-mount.

04-23-2013, 07:09 AM   #62
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by SyncGuy Quote
Oh my..... Potentially, Sigma's line up if everything goes well, including the rumored 24/1.4, their line up would be:
24/1.4
30/1.4
35/1.4
50/1.4
85/1.4
135/1.8

*faints* My wallet's sniffling now already...
Their zoom lens lineup is just as impressive.

8-16mm
12-24mm
10-20mm f/3.5
17-50mm f/2.8
24-70mm f/2.8
17-70mm f/2.8-4
50-150mm f/2.8
70-200mm f/2.8
120-300mm f/2.8
120-400mm f/4.5-5.6
50-500mm /f4.5-6.3
150-500mm f/5-6.3
200-500mm f/2.8
300-800mm f/5.6

And that's not even all their zooms, just the standouts. And then there's Sigma's great telephoto primes:

300mm f/2.8
500mm f/4.5
800mm f/5.6

Now look at the lineup, and consider how many of those lenses don't even have a direct counterpart from Pentax. And for those that do have a direct counterpart, compare the price of the Sigma vs the Pentax. And compare the warranty length. That's why Sigma should matter to Pentax.
04-23-2013, 07:43 AM   #63
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
A good 70-200 f4 or 24-70 f4 is great option to have on FF, but what significant advantage would that give you over the 16-50 and 50-135 2.8 on aps-c?

Big difference: Resolution is better.

Moderate difference: Absorbed light is ~18% better,

Small: and the FF's are generally a bit smaller, lighter, and cheaper.
04-23-2013, 07:45 AM   #64
Veteran Member

@Edgar, I've to agree on that my friend..
But I guess those zooms don't interest me more than their primes that I've listed.
Why? Coz I love them fast aperture that's acceptably sharp from wide open, to me at least.
Yea... I understand your angst, I do empathize.. That's why I'm saving up to "move on" in whatever ways, new system or just purely Sigma lenses.

Don't risk getting yourself angry with Pentax. You and I and many others know, it's pointless to flog a dead horse.
Let it be, my friend, let it be...

04-23-2013, 08:22 AM   #65
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Edgar_in_Indy Quote
And if Sigma lenses like the 18-35mm 1.8, 120-300mm f/2.8, and the proposed 135mm 1.8 (and whatever other great lenses they release in the future) never make it to K-mount, then I don't see myself staying with Pentax.

Somebody at Pentax should be talking to the people at Sigma and Tamron, begging them to continue to support the K-mount.
These two are also very important to me!
04-23-2013, 09:06 AM   #66
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I can tell you where they got some of that cash. Hint: Look at my signature! And I just sent them another big wad of cash with the 85mm I bought a few weeks ago.

Without Sigma, I daresay I would have left Pentax a long time ago. Pentax's selection of lenses is too limited, too expensive, and the SDM situation has left a bad taste in my mouth. If Sigma and Tamron really do stop releasing lenses for Pentax, then I think that would be the death knell for this once-great camera maker. And if Sigma lenses like the 18-35mm 1.8, 120-300mm f/2.8, and the proposed 135mm 1.8 (and whatever other great lenses they release in the future) never make it to K-mount, then I don't see myself staying with Pentax.

I'm with you. Pentax needs to announce a DSLR line to superseded the K-5 line AND get more support for Pentax with Sigma - I'd be happy with just Sigma. Without these two moves I cannot invest anymore in Pentax. Happy with what I have but Pentax needs to put some skin in the game - I hope they do so.
04-23-2013, 09:25 AM   #67
Pentaxian

What I find amazing is that Pentax is letting a 3rd party company like Sigma run away with the lens game. It seems to me that the lenses are where the real money is in the DSLR game, so I can't understand why Pentax isn't more pro-active in their lens offerings.

I mean, just looking at my own situation, I spent about $400 on my K-x a few years ago, and then about $700 on my K-30 last year. And in the same time period, I have spent thousands of dollars on lenses. Doesn't Pentax want my lens money? Why is Sigma able to move so quickly in offering so many new lenses on a regular basis, all while maintaining a huge selection of lenses for all the major mounts. But Pentax seems to be stuck in the mud when it comes to supporting even just their own system?

This is why I'm quickly losing faith in Pentax's long-term viability. Well, this, and the fact that they waste resources and squander what's left of their reputation on high-profile failed efforts like the Q and K-01. It seems like they are willingly fading into obscurity.

Last edited by Edgar_in_Indy; 04-23-2013 at 05:19 PM.
04-23-2013, 09:40 AM - 1 Like   #68
Pentaxian

(...)
Why is Sigma able to move so quickly in offering so many new lenses on a regular basis, all while maintaining a huge selection of lenses for all the major mounts. But Pentax seems to be stuck in the mud when it comes to supporting even just their own system?

(...)
When Sigma design a lens and propose it in Canon and Nikon mounts, they address more than 80% of the DSLR market.

When Pentax design a lens in K mount, they address circa 5% of the DSLR market.

Guess who can expect the biggest sales, margins and return on investment?

04-23-2013, 10:55 AM   #69
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote

Also, I'm really wondering where Sigma is getting the cash..
Probably from the same sources as other companies. Sales revenue, bank loans, private investors, sales of shares,
04-23-2013, 10:57 AM   #70
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
When Sigma design a lens and propose it in Canon and Nikon mounts, they address more than 80% of the DSLR market.

here's an idea... Pentax should make lenses in Canon and Nikon mounts.
04-23-2013, 11:18 AM   #71
Veteran Member

wow. this turned into a "sky is falling" + "full frame or death" thread, too. we were talking about? oh, a 135/1.8, like the one pentax used to make. now that is ironic..

the tamron picture with the greyed out lenses contains only 3 lenses not available in k mount which make sense: two macros (180 and 60), and that 200-500. it's a pity, but it is 3 lenses, not "most" or "lots". the rest are either newer stabilized versions of very good designs available in pentax mount, or stuff which makes little sense on aps-c (like 28-300; oh, wait, that's just stuff that makes little sense )

look, let's see the bright side, okay? samyiang still loves us, and with the useless pentax af system, that's really all we need.

/me dives for cover
04-23-2013, 11:37 AM   #72
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Smeggypants Quote
here's an idea... Pentax should make lenses in Canon and Nikon mounts.
It's not an insane idea, but it's sort of a last-resort idea, for when after their DSLR business has been shut down.
04-23-2013, 11:58 AM   #73
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by nanok Quote
wow. this turned into a "sky is falling" + "full frame or death" thread
I didn't see anybody say anything about the sky or go into hysterics, but I do think that it does not bode well for Pentax if the 3rd party lens makers continue to neglect the K-mount. Especially at a time when Pentax is already on the ropes and such exciting lenses are being released, like the 18-35mm f1.8 and possibly a 135mm f1.8.

QuoteOriginally posted by nanok Quote
the tamron picture with the greyed out lenses contains only 3 lenses not available in k mount which make sense: two macros (180 and 60), and that 200-500.
The new Tamron 70-300mm USD lens is also an important new lens not available for K-mount. This is the first new lens I noticed that Tamron did not release for Pentax. The image quality is incredible for a consumer 300mm lens. And with the sparse offerings for good telephotos in K-mount, this is a lens that is missed.

Sure, Pentax has the 55-300mm lens, but the image quality is not nearly as good, and it is screw-drive. In the past I have owned the Pentax DA 55-300mm, FA J 75-300mm, and Sigma 70-300mm and while they were all decent, I have no desire to buy any of them again, but if the Tamron 70-300mm was ever released in Pentax mount, I would buy it without hesitation.

Last edited by Edgar_in_Indy; 04-23-2013 at 12:07 PM.
04-23-2013, 12:03 PM   #74
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote

Yes, thats true. But when Sigma continues to make lenses for Pentax, they are no longer competing with Canon, Nikon, or Tamron(much) on sales in that 5% market. Ironically, its good for Pentax bottom line when there are fewer third party lenses out there to compete with. And once new lenses are designed and built for Canon and Nikon cams, there is much less cost to put mounts on them for Pentax. Its all a math and statistics game.

Like a few others said, i bought my first Pentax K10 partially due to the availability of third party lenses.
04-23-2013, 12:36 PM   #75
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
Yes, thats true. But when Sigma continues to make lenses for Pentax, they are no longer competing with Canon, Nikon, or Tamron(much) on sales in that 5% market. Ironically, its good for Pentax bottom line when there are fewer third party lenses out there to compete with.....

...assuming that the Pentax DSLR marketshare isn't related to the amount of third-party support that Pentax gets from Sigma, Tamron, et al.