Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-23-2013, 02:28 PM   #76
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
It's not an insane idea, but it's sort of a last-resort idea, for when after their DSLR business has been shut down.
Why? Sigma make DSLRs do they not?

04-23-2013, 02:37 PM   #77
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Smeggypants Quote
Why? Sigma make DSLRs do they not?
Amusing idea, but how many of Pentax's current lenses would really be attractive to Canon/Nikon users.
04-23-2013, 02:54 PM   #78
Site Supporter

I don't see why Sigma won't continue to make k mount lenses down the road. It isn't that hard to put the mount on an existing lens design, particularly when they have the electronics figured out for their other lenses any way. It just isn't their first priority and so k mount versions will come a year to a year and half after lenses are available for others.
04-23-2013, 03:05 PM   #79
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
It just isn't their first priority and so k mount versions will come a year to a year and half after lenses are available for others.
I hope that's the case. But I wonder if the situation is more like a restaurant not offering a niche item on their menu since there's so little demand for it.

Did the 120-300mm f/2.8 ever get released in K-mount?

04-23-2013, 04:05 PM   #80
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I don't see why Sigma won't continue to make k mount lenses down the road. It isn't that hard to put the mount on an existing lens design, particularly when they have the electronics figured out for their other lenses any way. It just isn't their first priority and so k mount versions will come a year to a year and half after lenses are available for others.
It would be drop-dead simple if everyone used the same registration distance.... but they don't.
04-23-2013, 04:19 PM   #81
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by IchabodCrane Quote
It would be drop-dead simple if everyone used the same registration distance.... but they don't.
And what's so hard about that? It's just a question of how thick the plate with the mount on it is (and how long the screws holding it are). The actual differences are AF (eletronics these days) and aperture control (both electronics and mechanics on some mounts, including Pentax).

I'd imagine most of that moves fairly easiy between lenses though, at least lenses with similar AF. These days they don't have to support mechanical AF on any system, back when they needed it only on Pentax it would have made more sense to exclude us.
04-23-2013, 04:59 PM   #82
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Edgar_in_Indy Quote
What I find amazing is that Pentax is letting a 3rd party company like Sigma run away with the lens game. It seems to me that the lenses are where the real money is in the DSLR game, so I can't understand why Pentax isn't more pro-active in their lens offerings.

I mean, just looking at my own situation, I spent about $400 on my K-x a few years ago, and then about $700 on my K-30 last year. And in the same time period, I have spent thousands of dollars on lenses. Doesn't Pentax want my lens money? Why is Sigma able to move so quickly in offering so many new lenses on a regular basis, all while maintaining a huge selection of lenses for all the major mounts. But Pentax seems to be stuck in the mud when it comes to supporting even just their own system?

This is why I'm quickly losing faith in Pentax's long-term viability. Well, this, and the fact that they wast resources and squander what's left of their reputation on high-profile failed efforts like the Q and K-01. It seems like they are willingly fading into obscurity.
I wish you hadn't had said that Edgar.. (lol) ..it's just too rational. When you think about it like that you have to wonder where the platform is going.

Last edited by bossa; 04-23-2013 at 05:14 PM.
04-23-2013, 05:15 PM   #83
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
I wish yu hadn't had said that Edgar.. (lol) ..it's just too rational. When you think about it like that you have to wonder where the platform is going.
I'm hoping I'm wrong. I really don't want to switch to a system that doesn't have in-body stabilization, since at this point it's obvious that the only reason not to include IS is to force people to buy bigger, heavier and (most importantly) more expensive lenses. And to entice people to double-dip by replacing their old non-OS lenses. On the topic of the 135mm 1.8, let's hope that they release it for Pentax and that they don't encumber it with unnecessary OS.

In addition to not wanting bigger, more expensive lenses, I don't like being a sucker. And right now Canon and Nikon are treating their customers like suckers by not giving them sensor-IS. Whichever one of them blinks first by offering IS stands a good chance of getting my money.

04-23-2013, 06:23 PM   #84
Veteran Member

Amusing idea, but how many of Pentax's current lenses would really be attractive to Canon/Nikon users.
Well obviously the idea would be to expand the range to include lenses that ALL users of DLSRs would find attractive. Is that not what Sigma are doing?
04-23-2013, 08:21 PM   #85
Inactive Account

It feels like this section should be called "Sigma News and Rumors" lately. I picked up on one interesting insight regarding Sigma's strategy shift towards higher end lenses on a preview of the 18-35 somwhere. It noted that unlike the principal system makers (Canon, Nikon, Sony, Pentax), Sigma has maintained their lens manufacturing businesses domestically in Japan instead of moving them abroad to cheaper labor markets. So making lenses with a high perceived value and the commiserate high price has been their way to cope with a strong yen.

I won't try to make any value judgments on any of these companies' manufacturing choices but it does make sense that a manufacturer who continues to manufacture in Japan will need to push towards the high end just like Zeiss and Leica.
04-23-2013, 10:17 PM   #86
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I hope that's the case. But I wonder if the situation is more like a restaurant not offering a niche item on their menu since there's so little demand for it.

c'mon, 15 years ago Sigma already restrained from marketing high end lenses in K-Mount.

Nothing new here, business as usual.
Can we move on and stop those stupid 'sky is falling' nonsense?
04-23-2013, 10:59 PM   #87
Site Supporter

I'm hoping I'm wrong. I really don't want to switch to a system that doesn't have in-body stabilization, ...
Sony has sensor shift and full frame.
04-24-2013, 12:13 AM   #88
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mikemike Quote
It feels like this section should be called "Sigma News and Rumors" lately. I picked up on one interesting insight regarding Sigma's strategy shift towards higher end lenses on a preview of the 18-35 somwhere. It noted that unlike the principal system makers (Canon, Nikon, Sony, Pentax), Sigma has maintained their lens manufacturing businesses domestically in Japan instead of moving them abroad to cheaper labor markets. So making lenses with a high perceived value and the commiserate high price has been their way to cope with a strong yen.

I won't try to make any value judgments on any of these companies' manufacturing choices but it does make sense that a manufacturer who continues to manufacture in Japan will need to push towards the high end just like Zeiss and Leica.
Did you mean commensurate when you said commiserate? I'm finding it hard to understand how one can feel sympathy for high lens prices?
04-24-2013, 01:44 AM   #89
Veteran Member

I thank Pentax for their fantastic glass K 135mm f/2.5 and will keep shooting with this one till mould kills it or I get to old to manual focus. (I`m 33 now with good eyes, so it will be quite a while in other words)
04-24-2013, 03:05 AM   #90
Site Supporter

There may be a few lenses that don't get released in k mount because they are such small segment, niche lenses that it just isn't worth Sigma's time to do the mount, but in general, most of the lenses that Sigma offers end up coming out in k mount eventually.