Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-24-2013, 04:43 AM   #91
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
There may be a few lenses that don't get released in k mount because they are such small segment, niche lenses that it just isn't worth Sigma's time to do the mount, but in general, most of the lenses that Sigma offers end up coming out in k mount eventually.
This is a reasonable statement. It's only natural that Sigma is going to release a lens where they know it has the best chance of getting some sales (Canon, Nikon mounts). If the lens is relatively successful with those, it gives them some justification for going ahead and offering in another mount where they know the volume potential will be much less. OTOH, if it doesn't do well in the large volume mounts, they know it will be money down the toilet in the low volume mounts. It's simply risk management.

04-24-2013, 05:16 AM   #92
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
When is the last time sigma offered a 300/2.8 in KMount if ever?
Just a simple example...
04-24-2013, 05:46 AM   #93
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
When is the last time sigma offered a 300/2.8 in KMount if ever?
Just a simple example...
I think Sigma is a bit unsure of what pentax will do next as am I. Not that this concerns Pentax but if pentax releases a full frame camera in something other than a K-mount, we may never see these lenses.

Pentax keeps saying that their full frame camera will have to be something different. I wish I knew what that meant.
04-24-2013, 06:07 AM   #94
Pentaxian

Features, not mount.

04-24-2013, 06:17 AM   #95
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Features, not mount.
Indeed. They may come later with a FF 'othermount' (mirrorless?) later but an FF without K mount, Ricoh could do it without Pentax.
04-24-2013, 10:03 AM   #96
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Indeed. They may come later with a FF 'othermount' (mirrorless?) later but an FF without K mount, Ricoh could do it without Pentax.
Don't know what you meant by "doing it without Pentax". Pentax is simply a brand name owned by Ricoh at this point. But i agree with your point that Ricoh could do many things, and i think many of us wish we would see a Ricoh plan/strategy for their camera products.
04-24-2013, 10:13 AM   #97
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
Don't know what you meant by "doing it without Pentax". Pentax is simply a brand name owned by Ricoh at this point. But i agree with your point that Ricoh could do many things, and i think many of us wish we would see a Ricoh plan/strategy for their camera products.
But the thing that Ricoh gained with the purchase of Pentax was a catalog of (mainly full frame) lenses, a certain number of k mount users, and probably some SLR specific tech. The question is if it would be worth ditching that to make a full frame camera with a shorter registration distance (even if they released a fully functional K mount to new mount adapter).
04-24-2013, 11:28 AM   #98
Loyal Site Supporter

So far Ricoh has no skin in the game - the DSLR /lens announcements from Pentax were welcome but not enough to show commitment in the DSLR marketplace - they were incremental moves. When Pentax/Ricoh makes their next DSLR introduction it will tell a lot about their direction - I am hoping for a home run but in the interim I am keeping my wallet in my pocket and evaluating alternatives. One choice is to keep what I have up to 400mm+ and look elsewhere in a year or so for 500mm+ - especially since the glass is the bigger investment and technical decision at those focal lengths.

Certainly by the end of this year we'll all, users and third party lens makers, know more.

04-24-2013, 11:59 AM   #99
Pentaxian

I meant that there's not much point in buying Pentax if it is for ditching Kmount anyway...
04-24-2013, 12:28 PM   #100
Veteran Member

I'd be game for a Tamron-style Adaptall system that was backwards compatible, if that gave some improvement, i.e., for mirrorless.

It wouldn't be the way I want to do things but I'd still stick with Pentax. It'd have to be with a next-gen EVF, though, the current stuff isn't up to snuff for me.
04-24-2013, 12:59 PM   #101
Pentaxian

I disagree. "Pentax" is not a mere brand name, because all what remained from the old Pentax Corporation's Imaging Business Systems was transferred to the newly created Pentax Ricoh Imaging Company. Yes, Pentax Ricoh in this specific order.
In other words, "our" Pentax survived; just changed masters (twice).

You would've been correct if Ricoh acquired only the name - but using their own people, their own facilities. We know this is not the case.
04-24-2013, 01:00 PM   #102
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Steve Beswick Quote
Sony has sensor shift and full frame.
I'm not too worried about full frame, and I'm already aware that Sony has sensor IS. But I'm certainly not going to sell my Pentax gear just to go to another small-time player in the DSLR market.

Although I must say, I've certainly seen more Sony DSLR's out in the wild than Pentax DSLR's. It probably has something to do with the fact that you can actually buy a Sony DSLR in the store. What a concept!

Last edited by Edgar_in_Indy; 04-24-2013 at 01:17 PM.
04-24-2013, 01:14 PM   #103
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm pretty sure Sigma will produce the 135mm for K-mount especially if a K-mount full frame is produced. The 35mm, 50mm & 85mm are all in K-mount. The 135mm makes a very good 200mm FoV on APS-C. With Pentax only offering the 100mm Macro lens at anything close to that focal length I think Sigma will sell a good number in K-mount.

I just wish Sigma would add WR to their glass. A redesign of the 50mm with USB dock and WR would be well worth the upgrade for me.
04-24-2013, 02:03 PM   #104
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
I disagree. "Pentax" is not a mere brand name, because all what remained from the old Pentax Corporation's Imaging Business Systems was transferred to the newly created Pentax Ricoh Imaging Company. Yes, Pentax Ricoh in this specific order.
In other words, "our" Pentax survived; just changed masters (twice).

You would've been correct if Ricoh acquired only the name - but using their own people, their own facilities. We know this is not the case.
I'm still correct :-) Legally, Ricoh owns the Pentax facilities, brand name, and the contracts to individual employees. They are very unlikely to destroy that investment, but legally, they own Pentax and can do whatever they wish. Unless ownership doesn't mean what it used to mean :-)
04-24-2013, 02:10 PM   #105
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Edgar_in_Indy Quote
I'm not too worried about full frame, and I'm already aware that Sony has sensor IS. But I'm certainly not going to sell my Pentax gear just to go to another small-time player in the DSLR market.

Although I must say, I've certainly seen more Sony DSLR's out in the wild than Pentax DSLR's. It probably has something to do with the fact that you can actually buy a Sony DSLR in the store. What a concept!
Does anyone know why Sony didn't use sensor IS in its Nex line of cameras, but chose to use OS instead? Perhaps sensor stabilization makes it more difficult to cool a very thin camera body - i don't know. Or perhaps it was size and weight they were trying to keep down.

Sony isn't a small time player in the camera sensor market :-) but i get your point.