Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-24-2013, 02:59 PM   #106
Veteran Member

I have a copy of the old Sigma Schalematic 135mm 1.8.

They really wouldn't even have to redesign the optics as far as I am concerned. Maybe just add some better coatings.

04-24-2013, 08:39 PM   #107
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
Does anyone know why Sony didn't use sensor IS in its Nex line of cameras, but chose to use OS instead? Perhaps sensor stabilization makes it more difficult to cool a very thin camera body - i don't know. Or perhaps it was size and weight they were trying to keep down.

Sony isn't a small time player in the camera sensor market :-) but i get your point.
Sony wanted to make the bodies as small as possible and the SR adds to the thickness of the camera. Personally I prefer INBIS, but OIS seems to be be more popular especially if HD video is a prime need.
04-24-2013, 11:02 PM   #108
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
I'm still correct :-) Legally, Ricoh owns the Pentax facilities, brand name, and the contracts to individual employees. They are very unlikely to destroy that investment, but legally, they own Pentax and can do whatever they wish. Unless ownership doesn't mean what it used to mean :-)
You are describing more than a mere brand name, and even forget important stuff like all the IP As long as there is a "Pentax" entity, designing and making "Pentax" products, I can't call them just a brand.

After all, what's the big difference? At first, "Pentax" was owned by the founding family, then it became a publicly owned company, then it was forcibly acquired by Hoya, and now they're a Ricoh company. Any of those could've done whatever they wished with it, in theory.
04-25-2013, 01:15 AM   #109
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
You are describing more than a mere brand name, and even forget important stuff like all the IP As long as there is a "Pentax" entity, designing and making "Pentax" products, I can't call them just a brand.

After all, what's the big difference? At first, "Pentax" was owned by the founding family, then it became a publicly owned company, then it was forcibly acquired by Hoya, and now they're a Ricoh company. Any of those could've done whatever they wished with it, in theory.
Please enlighten yourself and find out what happened to the other brands (bigger brands then Pentax ever was) that were taken over too by Pentaxs new boss: Nashuatec, Rex Rotery, Gestetner, Lanier, Infotec, Savin, Ikon, etc... They all probably got the same deal in agreement with the takeover: First x year(s) no staff changes and no changing in the brand name. But after that it's gone.

My personal preference is for Pentax to remain Pentax. So please do prove me wrong.

04-25-2013, 01:19 AM   #110
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You're spot on. It's the same entity, it's not just stickers on cheap junk products like some once-great brand names are. But of course it adds to the confusion that the Pentax brand name now is used by several completely separate entities (In addition to "our Pentax", there's Hoya for the medical stuff, Seiko for eye glasses, and maybe more?).
04-25-2013, 05:45 AM   #111
Pentaxian

Clavius, a company will change (or perish ) even without any ownership change. "Pentax" will have to adapt. Even the staff had to change, including upper management.
I'll let Pentax Ricoh to prove that to you; but it largely depends on how do you define "Pentax".

gazonk, I agree - but it's "our" Pentax I care about.
04-25-2013, 06:20 AM   #112
Pentaxian

Let's admit that, if Pentax became Ricoh, even with the very same portfolio of products, only rebranded, it wouldn't be "our" Pentax anymore.
04-25-2013, 07:20 AM   #113
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Let's admit that, if Pentax became Ricoh, even with the very same portfolio of products, only rebranded, it wouldn't be "our" Pentax anymore.
Let's just see any flavor of the company announce a new camera, supporting K mount, with great construction, WR, industry leading sensor, industry leading auto-focus and introduce new top quality lenses - especially addressing the poor long focal length offering - in my mind they can call it anything they like - I'll buy into that.

04-25-2013, 07:33 AM   #114
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
But they didn't, Ricoh is not Sony; and, with the passing years, strengthening the Pentax brand and Pentax systems would make it more difficult... if that's their intention, why would they head the other way?
In any case; Pentax itself is a re-branding of Asahi.

Last edited by Kunzite; 04-25-2013 at 07:46 AM.
04-25-2013, 07:37 AM - 2 Likes   #115
Pentaxian

In any case; Pentax itself is a re-branding of Asahi.
And I'm sure there's still some old coot out there very bitter about that. Maybe we should make a sub-forum dedicated to Asahi customers who have come over to Pentax.
04-25-2013, 08:00 AM   #116
Pentaxian

Well, to get this thread back on course, I don't see why Pentax couldn't produce a few killer lenses of their own instead of the business going to Sigma. it's been a long time since Pentax came out with a peach, a highly desirable item, a lens which would get people talking no matter what brand of camera they use. The DA 560mm isn't it and the DA* 55mm doesn't seem to have inspired much lurv. I'd say something in the 24-135mm region (on FF) and at a price most folks could one day afford or at least nearly so, that "special one". It must be a heck of a lot less expensive to make a wave or two this way than designing a whole new camera.
04-25-2013, 08:19 AM   #117
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mecrox Quote
Well, to get this thread back on course, I don't see why Pentax couldn't produce a few killer lenses of their own instead of the business going to Sigma. it's been a long time since Pentax came out with a peach, a highly desirable item, a lens which would get people talking no matter what brand of camera they use. The DA 560mm isn't it and the DA* 55mm doesn't seem to have inspired much lurv. I'd say something in the 24-135mm region (on FF) and at a price most folks could one day afford or at least nearly so, that "special one". It must be a heck of a lot less expensive to make a wave or two this way than designing a whole new camera.
There have been a number of lenses over the years that Pentax has made that would fit the bill -- the 135mm f1.8 https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/140795-super-m...le-thread.html, the FA 200 f4 macro, or the 50mm f1.2 lenses. All of them have spectacular rendering -- particularly of out of focus areas and I would save up and buy them in a heart beat if they were released with modern coatings and auto focus (I know the FA 200 macro is there already, but it isn't available now). Price them high, but make them available.
04-25-2013, 08:37 AM   #118
Banned

Vivitar Professional 135mm f/1.5 would work with a PK T mount.
04-25-2013, 12:13 PM   #119
Veteran Member

In my day, whipper snapper

QuoteOriginally posted by Edgar_in_Indy Quote
And I'm sure there's still some old coot out there very bitter about that. Maybe we should make a sub-forum dedicated to Asahi customers who have come over to Pentax.
It all went downhill after Asahi became Pentax. Of course this forum is better than the Asahi Carrier Pigeon Society was, or at least the flame wars die out quicker!

04-25-2013, 12:38 PM   #120
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I've thought for a while that Pentax could grow business by being a third party as well as first party manufacturer. If you look at Canon and Nikon's APS-C lineups, they're actually somewhat poorer than Pentax's. Despite greatly outnumbering their full frame using counterparts, Canon and Nikon APS-C users seem to be treated like ginger stepchildren when it comes to the good stuff. All that lovely L glass? Not really made to hang off the front of your digital Rebel.

As to what Pentax would sell? Limiteds, of course! Some of the DA * models would also be viable, but they'd need to add image stablization first which might be a lot harder than screwing a different mount to the back. And before anyone says that's a ridiculous idea, there's prior art:
Leica MP with 43mm Pentax L mount lens | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Back to Sigma and Tamron.

Sigma have definitely moved on from their "Stigma" days. They don't seem to have completely dropped K-mount but there's also little sign that the really good stuff is heading our way. I strongly suspect that Tamron will not be releasing any new K-mount lenses. The issue is probably earnings per share. It could be argued that if they make $0.01 net profit on their K-mount business then they haven't lost anything. However, if they're looking for twenty cents on the dollar, then the K-mount business maybe just isn't worth it.