QuoteOriginally posted by Transit Quote
Bummer...sell up
But currently can't without ditching Pentax

04-22-2013, 01:26 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Something all other systems lack. Pentax could have done that
A case of could of, should of................didn't.
Don't wait for the mythical glass to come out....you could be waiting for ever.
Life is short, enjoy the glass you want and get it now elsewhere. (Same goes with full frame)
04-22-2013, 01:36 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TOUGEFC Quote
A case of could of, should of................didn't.
Don't wait for the mythical glass to come out....you could be waiting for ever.
Life is short, enjoy the glass you want and get it now elsewhere. (Same goes with full frame)
That works upto some extend. I sold off most of my Pentax gear, keeping only the glass that I really really love. My lineup is completely covered by other brands, even FF, but they're not Pentax. My first choice was Pentax, and they still are. It's a cool brand because they're unique. They just need to market more gear so they can sell more gear. I'm still hoping for them to do some miracle under their new boss.
04-22-2013, 01:44 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tesla Quote
I think Sigma has improved in quality.. maybe check them out at a store.
That's what I hear, though I am cautious. Unfortunately, in my neck of the woods there's no (afaik) lens-rental culture, and I doubt that a short playing in a shop will give me enough of a test to feel confident investing....

04-22-2013, 01:45 AM   #20
Banned

Well it would be a good idea for Sigma to bring this lens in K-mount since it is one off the three most popular lenses in the survey to which lenses Pentax users would want:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/146454-wich-le...r-d-money.html

(not rescently updated, but still #3 in lenspopularity)
04-22-2013, 02:02 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Well it would be a good idea for Sigma to bring this lens in K-mount since it is one off the three most popular lenses in the survey to which lenses Pentax users would want:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/146454-wich-le...r-d-money.html

(not rescently updated, but still #3 in lenspopularity)
Hmmm... Hopefully, Sigma is aware of that survey...
04-22-2013, 03:15 AM   #22
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TOUGEFC Quote
SIGMA is on fire, if the price is right i will get this lens
I fear they won't release it in K mount

04-22-2013, 04:02 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wigelII Quote
I fear they won't release it in K mount
That's ok, Im shooting with a Nikon

Last edited by TOUGEFC; 04-22-2013 at 04:18 AM.
04-22-2013, 04:04 AM   #24
Veteran Member

All this love for a lens that isn't issued yet (or may not even exist), doesn't even have a forecast price, nor been optically tested by anyone.

Weird.
04-22-2013, 05:07 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
It's a FF lens Jay.

PS: There's also a rumour that later in the year they'll release a 24/1.4 for FF as well.
I'd heard about the 24 1.4, but man, this 135 1.8 is going to be a powerful piece of glass on FF. I wonder how big, how much and what MFD/magnification will be though.
04-22-2013, 05:25 AM   #26
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
Is this supposed to be aps-c like the 18-35 1.8 zoom?
There is no reason to make a 135mm F1.8 that does not cover a full frame sensor since most Canon and Nikon DSLR users buying fast telephoto lenses like that are full frame users. An 18-35mm F1.8 zoom is like a 29-56mm Canon full frame lens with focal reducer like the Metabones Speed Booster and most zoom lenses that start at 18mm are APS-C versions like the 18-55,18-135,18-200,18-250,18-270 and 18-300.
04-22-2013, 05:49 AM   #27
Veteran Member

The 135 will be awesome on FF. For me, personally, it wouldn't have any obvious use on APS-C... I would still want it but don't want to pay for it.

As such I'm not surprised Sigma isn't announcing a Pentax version.
04-22-2013, 06:00 AM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
The 135 will be awesome on FF. For me, personally, it wouldn't have any obvious use on APS-C... I would still want it but don't want to pay for it.

As such I'm not surprised Sigma isn't announcing a Pentax version.
I think it still would be very powerful and fun on aps-c. 135mm is a popular focal length on both formats, and speed is... speed - always coveted and useful.

This is an example of a FF lens Pentax could have made that would have been snapped up by aps-c buyers as well.

04-22-2013, 06:08 AM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
I think it still would be very powerful and fun on aps-c. 135mm is a popular focal length on both formats, and speed is... speed - always coveted and useful.

This is an example of a FF lens Pentax could have made that would have been snapped up by aps-c buyers as well.

How much do you figure the average-potential Pentax buyer would be willing to pay for the lens?

Portrait photographers will want it enough to pay through the nose, but I don't know that everyone else will want to pay... what $1k?* for it.

*I would've guessed $1500 but the Canon 135 f/2 is $1k. The sigma is spec'd as letting in 23% more light and adds stabilization.
04-22-2013, 06:29 AM   #30
Veteran Member

A self-inflicted anemia

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
How much do you figure the average-potential Pentax buyer would be willing to pay for the lens?

Portrait photographers will want it enough to pay through the nose, but I don't know that everyone else will want to pay what it's going to cost.

Ask yourself - why are there possibly not enough K-mount buyers for this lens?

It's a direct result of Pentax's refusal to release or even announce a FF camera that the Pentax user base has become so anemic for buyers of a lens like this.

If Pentax had a FF camera, this lens would be bought by a percentage of those folks, but it would also be bought by current aps-c shooters. Aps-c buyers alone probably wouldn't create a critical mass, but the two together would. It's an example of how, even if you intend to stick with aps-c, you should hope Pentax moves forward with FF. It strengthens the mount and gives you, the aps-c shooter, more choices and and more security. It also would probably bring Sigma/Tamron/Zeiss/VL/Tokina back, all-in.