Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-06-2008, 11:46 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Any rumours for next generation camera yet?

Good day to all,

I know that forum already full of threads regarding rumours on probable "next generation" cameras, but cannot resist to start the new one just because I want nor "rumours for rumours" but maybe more convinient info of any kind from insiders who are present here / No, I don't want them to break their new NDAs, if they already signed new ones, but want them to share maybe non-specific info if any, like to answer following questions:

If any new surprises will be this year or the K200 and K20 were the only ones?

If such surprises will be, when we should expect them? ( suppose before Christmas)

If such surprises will be, will it be long awaited 645d (in that case I'm not interested as it is to expensive for me and definetely not necessary, but pros will be interested) or anything else?

If it'll be anything else ( not 645D), will it be cameras upper than K20 or lower than K200?

That's for the starting hope for the answers from those who really knows something like benjikan and others, but not the just musings because I'm quite good in such myself

thanks

03-07-2008, 10:26 AM   #2
Veteran Member

One of the things that has bothered me every since the introduction of the K20D and the K200D is why Pentax would go to all of the huge expense to haul journalists to Dubai just to introduce 2 cameras that are just up dates of what they already had and a couple of new lenses that we had seen a year ago. I know there are some that are still under NDA agreements in regard to some other lenses that have been discussed. Maybe it was just a way for them to show that they still financially viable. I would sure like to know every thing that was discussed in those meetings. I would like to beleive that Pentax still has a surprize or 2 up their sleeves.
03-08-2008, 05:27 AM   #3
spe

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kent vinyard Quote
I would like to beleive that Pentax still has a surprize or 2 up their sleeves.
I would like to believe that also. But my main point for the moment is, if our beliefs indeed, will come true this year, or we should wait more. Now I'm thinkiin on switch from old faithful Ds to the new body, and cannot make my mind on that - I can purchase K20 within month or two (depends on local retailer supply), but if higher class camera will hit the market this year I can wait a bit. Especially if camera specs will be more advanced like not that 1/4000 shutter speed (at least 1/6000 or even 1/8000 like on Z-1), completely new AF module maybe etc. That's only dreams but who knows.
03-15-2008, 09:32 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photokina (or whatever they call it) in Las Vegas this fall should tell the story...

03-15-2008, 10:50 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Entry level, 10mp cmos sensor. Body only MSRP $500. Weight with battery is less than 400gr.
03-15-2008, 02:24 PM   #6
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by regken Quote
Entry level, 10mp cmos sensor. Body only MSRP $500. Weight with battery is less than 400gr.
Is this info based on some reliable source or simply yours (and mine) desire?

Because this interview with John Carlson, Product Manager Imaging Systems, Pentax USA, on the last day of the PMA 2008 does not support it.
03-15-2008, 02:39 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by regken Quote
I'd love to see it, but I think it'd be a mistake to position this as typical "entry level". I'd much rather see it designed to both function as an entry level camera or as a second body for intermediate/advanced users.

03-15-2008, 04:05 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I know that there is a big need for an entry level camera right now , but I would also like to see something above the K20. Heck just give me a K20 with 6fps, 250 sync and a focus tracking to keep up with 6fps and I'll be as happy a pig in the corn crib. About next November would be just right (at the start of basketball season)
03-15-2008, 06:39 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 24X36NOW Quote
Photokina (or whatever they call it) in Las Vegas this fall should tell the story...
Do you mean photokina, world's biggest photographic trade fair?

Well, its this fall Sep 23-28 in ... Cologne, Germany. Germany like Germany in "country of the world's biggest computer trade fair"

photokina - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
CeBIT - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
03-19-2008, 04:23 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
Do you mean photokina, world's biggest photographic trade fair?

Well, its this fall Sep 23-28 in ... Cologne, Germany. Germany like Germany in "country of the world's biggest computer trade fair"

photokina - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
CeBIT - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Yup, that'd be it (got my cities mixed up with PMA)
03-19-2008, 11:04 PM   #11
spe

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kent vinyard Quote
I know that there is a big need for an entry level camera right now , but I would also like to see something above the K20. Heck just give me a K20 with 6fps, 250 sync and a focus tracking to keep up with 6fps and I'll be as happy a pig in the corn crib. About next November would be just right (at the start of basketball season)
Hey, that very similar to that I want to see. Maybe 6 fps not so necessary for me and I would like new faster shutter to be in camera more at least like in MZ-S with 1/6000 or even as in Z-1 with 1/8000. And body design like Z-series, but that's nearly impossible for my opinion/
03-20-2008, 06:04 AM   #12
Forum Member

No 645D!

I think the main certainty is that there will be no 645D..

With Mamiya/PhaseOne coming out with their new Digital 645 and Hasselblad already established in the market segment, the 645D may be too little, too late...

I am waiting to see whether they bring a higher level camera than the K20D out....not interested in anything more basic than the K200D, Samsung have that covered with the GX-1L.

Meanwhile I enjoy my K10D/DA*16-50 combo and my newer Mamiya-Sekor 120mm f4 Macro lens for my M645Pro.
03-20-2008, 06:12 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by spe Quote
Good day to all,

I know that forum already full of threads regarding rumours on probable "next generation" cameras, but cannot resist to start the new one just because I want nor "rumours for rumours" but maybe more convinient info of any kind from insiders who are present here / No, I don't want them to break their new NDAs, if they already signed new ones, but want them to share maybe non-specific info if any, like to answer following questions:

If any new surprises will be this year or the K200 and K20 were the only ones?

If such surprises will be, when we should expect them? ( suppose before Christmas)

If such surprises will be, will it be long awaited 645d (in that case I'm not interested as it is to expensive for me and definetely not necessary, but pros will be interested) or anything else?

If it'll be anything else ( not 645D), will it be cameras upper than K20 or lower than K200?

That's for the starting hope for the answers from those who really knows something like benjikan and others, but not the just musings because I'm quite good in such myself

thanks
Well this should help stoke some rumors........
Samsung mentions GX-20 dSLR successor - Digital Cameras - Crave - CNET Asia
Or this...
Re: Pentax stopping 645 digital development: News Discussion Forum: Digital Photography Review
03-20-2008, 08:02 AM   #14
Veteran Member

yea that duse seem wherd did some one at samsung slip up or are they moving away from Pentax ??????
03-20-2008, 11:04 AM   #15
Inactive Account

The CNET article shows Samsungs line of lenses. I didn't know they made lenses. What's up with that. ch