Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-07-2008, 08:35 AM   #1
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax stop 645D project, but continue medium-format digital project

ペンタックス、中判デジタル一眼レフ「645 Digital」の開*を中断

As I understand Pentax will concentrate on K series DSLR,
continue to produce 645N II and 67 film cameras.

But medium-format digital project will be alive. Intrested what would it be?
Digital backs for 645 and 67 - like Mamiya made instead of Mamiya ZD?

03-07-2008, 08:51 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery
I think one of them doesn't have a removable back. Or is it both?
03-07-2008, 10:38 AM   #3
ogl
Banned

Original Poster
Both. I can't understand what does it mean - continue MF digital project.
03-07-2008, 10:41 AM   #4

So, what then? You would have to send in your 645 of 67 to get modified?

After some lights and a few quality digital lenses I wanted a medium format. Probablya 67 and a nice leaf shutter lens.

03-07-2008, 12:14 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
[url=http://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/cda/dslr/2008/03/07/8087.html]But medium-format digital project will be alive. Intrested what would it be?
Digital backs for 645 and 67 - like Mamiya made instead of Mamiya ZD?

No. I believe it simply means that the Pentax 645D, as we know it, is dead. It is after all an old camera by now and it is probably scheduled for a complete redesign.
The link give credits to the strong indications that an FF K-mount DSLR from Pentax is not that far away...
03-07-2008, 12:55 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Pentax 645D Philosophy

Completely without any rhyme or reason and Hoya just added another layer of nonsense.
03-07-2008, 01:52 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I think the obvious answer is that the 645 is a fine camera and design as well as format HOWEVER, the 67 (6x7) covers the 645 (6x4.5) format while providing more area of coverage for those who want it. Those who don't can simply crop to 6x4.5... So, if you're going to produce a MF digital camera it makes no sense to develop the smaller of your two formats as all things being equal, you'll pay slightly more for the larger sensor but gain far more versatility.. My money is on a 67D to replace the 67II...

03-07-2008, 03:44 PM   #8
Veteran Member

67D would be nice but I'd sure like to see them redesign the ergonomics. If you've ever used a Pentax 67 you will have to agree that it is one monstrously big beast. They could always squeeze a 67cm sensor into a slightly enlarged 645 style body and get the best of both worlds.
03-07-2008, 05:15 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffkrol Quote
Completely without any rhyme or reason and Hoya just added another layer of nonsense.
But at least we're now given some new info about where Pentax plans to go with their medium format.

Much better than speculation when the 645D's gonna be released, if at all.
03-07-2008, 05:36 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by vinzer Quote
But at least we're now given some new info about where Pentax plans to go with their medium format.

But what about this then? Is it about to be released?:

PENTAX 645 DIGITAL(仮称)
03-07-2008, 05:42 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by P虱 Jensen Quote
But what about this then? Is it about to be released?:

PENTAX 645 DIGITAL(仮称)

As I understand the text is says that the particular 645D shown at PMA will be discontinued, but they will continue developing a MF based DSLR.
03-07-2008, 05:44 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vinzer Quote

but can you trust them? Months ago the Pentax spokesman said 645D "was not a priority anymore" which I and others assumed meant "will never be produced". Others saw it as a sign of hope. Silly.
Year and a half ago they "discontinued" the film 645 and 67 but obviously Pentax has a different definition of "discontinued" then the rest of the world.....
Pentax obviously doesn't understand english: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
I've long ago, after the "discontinuation" of the D (Only to find they were still being produced for at least a year afterwords) not to believe a thing they say until I see it for myself.....
Not cynical, just practical...
03-07-2008, 05:47 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffkrol Quote
Year and a half ago they "discontinued" the film 645 and 67 but obviously Pentax has a different definition of "discontinued" then the rest of the world.....
)

The Pentax MF line is not discontinued. It is still for sale in Japan.
03-07-2008, 07:09 PM   #14
Veteran Member

over at DigitalCamera.jp they have some great pics, and translation is rough but they praise this almost-finished model. Looks really cool and the chance to have user-incherchangable sensor backs I really like the design etc. and will be sad to see the program get kicked to the curb. I was looking foward to loaning them from Pentax through the Pro-program (I can not justify an est price of atleast $5-7K to have one full-time) but I was looking at investing into a film 645 system. Not now though.
But hopefully they will put the K*D on top priority and get it out by sept/oct (right after photokina) I will buy that
03-07-2008, 07:19 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by P虱 Jensen Quote
The Pentax MF line is not discontinued. It is still for sale in Japan.
That's Pentax's other problem. Discontinued is on a regional basis apparently.
Maybe a bad translation????
Pentax to discontinue medium format cameras 645N II and 67II
from editor in chief at Thursday, March 16, 2006 - 09:04

Pentax Germany just informed its customers that the company will discontinue some items. This is especially true for the medium format cameras 645N II and 67II and some lenses, meaning that Pentax will completely abandon (analogue) medium format cameras:

Pentax Germany announced that the company will discontinue some items in June 2006. An excerpt with the most important items from this list:

There were a lot of lenses that were "discontinued" yet still appearred for sale in Japan. Whatever good that did anyone outside the country....