Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-25-2013, 03:52 PM - 1 Like   #76
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Also, guys, can you please stick to the subject of this thread and not divulge in Iron age, PreHoya age, Hoya age, and other discussions that were talked about in every other thread on Pentax Forums, irrelevant of the subject matter.
For once, for goodness sake, stick to the subject.

04-25-2013, 03:53 PM   #77
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by banep Quote
When he said "unique" my first thought was "Mark Newson"
I think someone dropped him the ocean w/ concrete boots by now for the K-01 market failure

I still have hard time believing they'll release a FF body any time soon.
After all, the big March 30 unveiling turned out to be...more K-30 colors
04-25-2013, 10:59 PM   #78
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
Is Mr Shibata a Chinese market equivalent of Jim Malcolm of the PRIC USA? If he is, how come he can deliver more substantial, clearer and finally, more encouraging answers than his US comrade, all without indulging in unbelievable marketing utopia?
He is the CEO of Pentax Ricoh China.
04-26-2013, 12:47 AM   #79
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
Is Mr Shibata a Chinese market equivalent of Jim Malcolm of the PRIC USA? If he is, how come he can deliver more substantial, clearer and finally, more encouraging answers than his US comrade, all without indulging in unbelievable marketing utopia?
Because China is a bigger, rising market, and thus a more interesting market that is also both culturally and geologically closer to Japan. And because Japan tends to distrust the Chinese, but not as much as they distrust non-Asians.

At least, that is what a Japanese collegue of mine once told me, when I still worked for a big Japanese company.

04-26-2013, 03:17 AM   #80
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Because China is a bigger, rising market, and thus a more interesting market that is also both culturally and geologically closer to Japan. And because Japan tends to distrust the Chinese, but not as much as they distrust non-Asians.
At least, that is what a Japanese collegue of mine once told me, when I still worked for a big Japanese company.
So inadvertently, and indirectly, we are talking about racism now, that is possibly evident even in the Pentax Ricoh business model?
If Japanese distrust Chinese but less than what they distrust Anericans and non-Asians ... I don't know, I still can't believe today's camera and imaging businesses operate at that level.
However, the question I asked above was simply about communication with users; to me, the Chinese market director delivered clearer message even when translated through the Google translator than what Jim Malcolm delivered directly in English, ever.
04-26-2013, 03:25 AM   #81
Veteran Member

I maybe wrong but "Shibata" sounds as a Japanese name to me, so that could explain why he knows more stuff than Jim Malcolm.

Also, with all the "sky is falling" posts that appeared after Jim Malcom's interview, maybe Pentax HQ has sent some new guidelines to his reps about what to say/don't say during an interview
04-29-2013, 10:37 PM   #82
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Japan tends to distrust the Chinese
I have had friends that have lived in china for quite some time that tell me this works the other way around as well.

04-30-2013, 06:30 AM   #83
Veteran Member

There's a lot of history in play here - empires rising and falling, cultures shifting and gaining/losing dominance, etc.

I hope this thread stays on track .....