Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 72 Likes Search this Thread
05-02-2013, 09:41 AM   #151
Pentaxian

In contrast with the Pentax MILC, which is released already?

The colors were actually a very good idea, followed (on a smaller scale) by the competition. I'm not sure how well it would work with expensive cameras, though; and they can't sell a product by themselves - so nope, that's not it.
But if the body color and the reflex viewing system aren't the only features of a camera, maybe we can find other ways to make a distinctive DSLR.

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
but the nagging question for many Pentaxians these days is also: How much use will there be for APS-C-only K-mount lenses in a few years?
About the same, probably few % less than today. FF might break into double digits, but that's not a given.

05-02-2013, 10:00 AM   #152
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Samyang Canon mount lenses have no aperture link, wonder why ?
Because Canon doesn't license the EF mount. Sigma reverse engineered it as did Tamron, that's why Sigma and Tamron EF mount lenses have broken in the past.
05-02-2013, 10:45 AM   #153
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
Now, this is totally ridiculous.
So in a way, you agree to pay Canon more, but refuse to pay Pentax .. because ...?

Although your reaction is impulsive and not rational, I understand why such reactions happen. When compared to Canon's offer, Pentax offers almost nothing: just two small, relatively outdated cameras you can use those lenses on. It's sad.
Actually, no, the statement was rational. You stated why as have others...no innovation in lenses. Nikon raised the level of sharpness/microcontrast/edge sharpness in their lenses since the 24-70G. Canon has been forced to up their game as well w/ their latest 24-70 (previous version was crap even compared to Sigma). A lot of this is because digital FF made them need to push their design to optimize edge sharpness. Pentax has focused on small...and the only reason my 43Ltd is good by all accounts is it's on APS-C.

The other part of my statement was that Canikon users seem to be more deep-pocketed. I'm not sure if this is because Canikon have a bigger B&M presence, but a lot of them seem to upgrade bodies and lenses fairly frequently (or at least more than I've observed among Pentax users....me included, but I've been focused on Studio/strobe work which quite honestly can be done w/ a good P&S w/ hotshoe).
And I wouldn't switch to Canon...I'd switch to Nikon for their better sensors. I've never been impressed w/ the output from Canon DSLRs and not Nikon until last year.
05-02-2013, 10:53 AM   #154
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
How much use will there be for APS-C-only K-mount lenses in a few years?
A lot. Improving sensor technology makes smaller sensors increasingly relevant. Rather ask where the Q system is ten years form now. Thats really interesting prospects....

05-02-2013, 11:04 AM   #155
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
I really do not know what this point is SO hard for non-US Pentaxians to comprehend. Prices in other countries include huge taxes that are for your social services. Our prices DO NOT include such taxes - we pay those too but not at the cash register when we buy products. So, when our stuff is the same price as yours is with VAT included we are getting screwed PERIOD.
DA 17 - 70, $600 without tax now in both the US and Germany.

So you can buy the lens on-line in the US,
and "forget" to pay your state the sales tax,
or you can buy the lens over the counter in Germany,
and get the VAT refunded at the airport when you leave.
In each case, you pay $600.
05-02-2013, 12:36 PM   #156
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
I really do not know what this point is SO hard for non-US Pentaxians to comprehend. Prices in other countries include huge taxes that are for your social services. Our prices DO NOT include such taxes - we pay those too but not at the cash register when we buy products. So, when our stuff is the same price as yours is with VAT included we are getting screwed PERIOD.
Because it's not the case.

FA 77mm (now $1050) - sterling equivalent is £679. Price in shop here (SRS Microsystems) of FA 77mm is £829 inc. VAT at 20%, which means £690 ex VAT.
FA 43mm (now $750) - sterling equivalent is £483. Price in shop here (SRS Microsystems) of FA 43mm is £599 inc. VAT at 20%, which means £499 ex VAT.
DA 12-24mm (now $900) - sterling equivalent is £579. Price in shop here (SRS Microsystems) of DA 12-24mm is £739 inc. VAT at 20%, which means £615 ex VAT.

Some other lenses at SRS are indeed cheaper but they say they are all on Special Offer or Sale - so their price is likely to go back up. If they don't go back up then, yes, some lenses like the FA 50mm f1.4, the DA 55-300mm or the DA 17-70mm would be attractively priced here compared to their USA counterparts.

Of course one can argue about how useful these cross-currency conversions are. Probably not very. But as others have said, this looks like a move towards parity worldwide, sales tax or no sales tax. Without VAT added, prices here in the UK are roughly the same as they are now in the USA. Therefore, the "social security" tax argument advanced by some is invalid.

I'm not trying to justify this. I'd be pretty depressed if I were in the USA. But "screwed" isn't really accurate. The problems are really the credibility of the brand in the light of its pricing/sales policy and the value for money it offers compared to other, competing brands - which will vary territory by territory. In my case I would be a little surprised if I were still shooting Pentax in a year's time. Where I live, Fuji cameras now offer similar or rather better value for money, but they are more modern all round and they suit my shooting style as much as or more than Pentax. So while I may be paying Fuji (or Nikon) comparable sums, for those sums I am getting fairly new designs and modern electronics which Pentax are not matching. Fuji at least are also - key point - a brand good at staying in touch with their customers.

Last edited by mecrox; 05-02-2013 at 12:44 PM.
05-02-2013, 01:19 PM   #157
Veteran Member

The last new Pentax lens that I purchased was 43lim. This was a year and a half ago. It is a good lens, but i woild never buy it for $750.

Anyways, good luck Pentax.

05-02-2013, 01:41 PM - 1 Like   #158
Veteran Member

I can't imagine the logic inside the collective head of Ricoh-Pentax. I have been defending this company ever since the merger - telling the more-nervous among us to remain patient and wait for the "real" fruits of the combined entities.

We still haven't seen the good stuff - but we have seen a number of price increases for lenses that have long-existed in Pentax's lineup. If they're not going to dazzle us with class-leading new product, then they better present a decent value proposition. Right now, I'm just not seeng it.

I don't know what else to say. My Pentax lens lineup is pretty complete and both my K-5 and K-01 work fine. But I strongly suspect when these cameras reach the end of their service lives, the rest of my Pentax gear will go up for sale. And I think I'm going to cancel my Ricoh GR pre-order.

Last edited by Biro; 05-02-2013 at 02:10 PM.
05-02-2013, 02:38 PM - 3 Likes   #159
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
I think NZ prices are safe.
People are talking here about PRIC USA and their local management of prices.
One thing we must constantly remember — PRIC USA is not global Pentax !
Their actions concern US customers, NOT the rest of the world.

Thus let's not judge global Pentax by the behaviour of PRIC USA.
Exactly - this thread should be "Pentax USA price hike".
05-02-2013, 02:50 PM   #160
Mjm

Just to make sure I understand, everyone is basing the high prices from 3 online stores?
Just a theory, Pentax has implemented MAPP last year or something? Seems like they are enforcing it.

Pentax is trying to regulate their pricing and build up B&M stores. Enforcing the MAPP helps the stores compete with the online stores.
Pentax has mentioned they want more presence at stores and not just online. Naturally people will complain but this forums will always complain.
Online stores have always undercut the B&M stores. People complain that they can't buy Pentax at their local stores yet same people will only buy online.

There Is also a grey market on how some online stores get there products which they use to lower the cost without informing Pentax.
Other thought is the average consumer that buys a Pentax camera won't go o these forums. It usually is the same 10 to 15 people. ( random number). So people who scream selling my Pentax equipment blah blah. I'm sure Pentax is very worried about that since you just sold your equipment to a new Pentax user. Ironic.

Also Pentax is pretty popular outside the US specially Japan. So I'm sure they are doing just fine.

My 2cents.
05-02-2013, 02:55 PM   #161
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Been waiting for some time now to see the "Big Changes" from Ricoh for Pentax. So far all I have seen is a re-run of Hoya, but perhaps worse. Advertising, prices, products....nothing has sparked any real interest in the Pentax Brand that I see, or much benefit to existing Pentax shooters.
Maybe a Brand Name change would get them on track......from what I see, a good name would be Anthrax.

Regards!
Taxcoh kinda has a ring to it...
05-02-2013, 03:04 PM   #162
Veteran Member

My take on all of this is that they are trying to control the sale of the last run of these lenses before they are replaced at the release of the new Full Frame camera. Even K-5IIs cameras are on back order here (OZ) so who knows what's really going on.
05-02-2013, 04:03 PM   #163
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I was considering pulling the trigger on the K-5 iis with the 10-17mm from BH this morning, checked the price again and BH has now raised their prices. Snooze you loose I guess.
05-02-2013, 04:04 PM   #164
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It looks to me like Pentax USA is brining their pricing in line with Pentax Canada.

To give you an idea:

FA 77mm $999
FA 43mm $729
FA 31mm $1250
DA*16-50 $1070
05-02-2013, 04:35 PM   #165
Veteran Member

So now the lenses are overpriced in all countries...great