Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-02-2013, 05:02 PM   #166
Senior Member
MMVIII's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: EU
Posts: 232
QuoteOriginally posted by fast50 Quote
Exactly - this thread should be "Pentax USA price hike".
xactly², as far as I can understand, that nobody might be happy about price rises, this brings the US-prices on the level that has been there for most other parts of the world. And as far as I have concluded from the responses of others, of course not including the VAT in the compared country too; why is that so hard to understand for some here?

Regarding all this (sometimes understandable) frustrated postings facepalming because of PRIC USA - wouldn't it make sense to give them an extra place in the forum? Just a friendly suggestion...

05-02-2013, 09:10 PM - 2 Likes   #167
Site Supporter
Biro's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,159
QuoteOriginally posted by MMVIII Quote
xactly², as far as I can understand, that nobody might be happy about price rises, this brings the US-prices on the level that has been there for most other parts of the world. And as far as I have concluded from the responses of others, of course not including the VAT in the compared country too; why is that so hard to understand for some here?

Regarding all this (sometimes understandable) frustrated postings facepalming because of PRIC USA - wouldn't it make sense to give them an extra place in the forum? Just a friendly suggestion...
Why is it hard to understand? Because none of these lenses are new, the development costs have been recovered for a while and production has been moved out of Japan to Vietnam (where labor is far cheaper and quality control is spottier). In other words, these lenses are not worth the new prices and most Pentaxians have enough sense to know when they're being hosed.

As I wrote in an earlier post in this string, I was one of those defending the actions of Pentax - even in the U.S. But now it's pretty obvious this is simply a money grab. Pentax has done nothing to enhance the perceived value of its products. They simply hiked the price and many of us who have been quite loyal through Pentax's darkest days don't like it and aren't afraid to say so.

I'm sorry prices are so high in the EU. I'm not being sarcastic. I really am sorry about that. Canada has had to deal with higher prices as well. But most of these lenses aren't worth what Pentax USA is now asking for them - particularly the DA* 16-50. I believe many heretofore loyal Pentaxians will be voting with their wallets and pocketbooks.
05-02-2013, 09:32 PM   #168
Pentaxian
twitch's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 4,571
QuoteOriginally posted by Biro Quote
Why is it hard to understand? Because none of these lenses are new, the development costs have been recovered for a while and production has been moved out of Japan to Vietnam (where labor is far cheaper and quality control is spottier). In other words, these lenses are not worth the new prices and most Pentaxians have enough sense to know when they're being hosed.

As I wrote in an earlier post in this string, I was one of those defending the actions of Pentax - even in the U.S. But now it's pretty obvious this is simply a money grab. Pentax has done nothing to enhance the perceived value of its products. They simply hiked the price and many of us who have been quite loyal through Pentax's darkest days don't like it and aren't afraid to say so.

I'm sorry prices are so high in the EU. I'm not being sarcastic. I really am sorry about that. Canada has had to deal with higher prices as well. But most of these lenses aren't worth what Pentax USA is now asking for them - particularly the DA* 16-50. I believe many heretofore loyal Pentaxians will be voting with their wallets and pocketbooks.
Got to agree. The rate of lens releases from Pentax that are new designs or real improvements to existing ones (rather than plastic version of old designs) has been pathetic for a few years now.

I'm struggling to think of any recent ones other than the irrelevant 560mm.
05-03-2013, 03:05 AM   #169
Site Supporter
Aristophanes's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,790
50/1.8 is new.

05-03-2013, 03:26 AM   #170
Veteran Member
Docrwm's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Somewhere in the Southern US
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 11,275
QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
50/1.8 is new.
The 35/2.4 is new as well. Problem is that the two of them are reworks, in cheaper form, of existing designs.

Last edited by Docrwm; 05-03-2013 at 04:37 AM.
05-03-2013, 03:31 AM   #171
Site Supporter
Jean Poitiers's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Lost in translation ...
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 16,382
QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
So now the lenses are overpriced in all countries...great
My thought as well ... prices have increased some here in France, from what I can see via a quick pricing research ... J
05-03-2013, 03:34 AM   #172
Pentaxian
bossa's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Adelaide
Posts: 4,538
I don't think any Nikon lenses have plastic mounts do they? The more I read about Pentax here the more I feel like they are winding down.. perhaps Ricoh thought they were getting something else for their money. I bought a 31mm LTD four weeks ago and it arrived yesterday and it has a scratch on the edge of an internal element.... I am awaiting a replacement (even though this lens is pin sharp) simply because if I ever want to sell it I want to maximize the sale.
05-03-2013, 04:15 AM   #173
Pentaxian
gazonk's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Oslo area, Norway
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,509
QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
I don't think any Nikon lenses have plastic mounts do they?
Oh come on, the DA35/2.4 actually has a quite nice feel to it, feels more well built than e.g. the Canon 50/1.8 "plastic fantastic". It's a huge step up from the kit lens, a true gem for e.g. students on a small budget.

05-03-2013, 04:21 AM   #174
Veteran Member
TOUGEFC's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Brisbane
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,561
QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
Oh come on, the DA35/2.4 actually has a quite nice feel to it, feels more well built than e.g. the Canon 50/1.8 "plastic fantastic". It's a huge step up from the kit lens, a true gem for e.g. students on a small budget.
Compare it too the Nikon 35mm f/1.8G , (Metal mount, fast quiet AF motor, sealed , faster, quick-shift, cheaper and better built, it even comes with a lens hood and pouch!)
05-03-2013, 04:22 AM   #175
Pentaxian
bossa's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Adelaide
Posts: 4,538
QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
Oh come on, the DA35/2.4 actually has a quite nice feel to it, feels more well built than e.g. the Canon 50/1.8 "plastic fantastic". It's a huge step up from the kit lens, a true gem for e.g. students on a small budget.
I didn't mention Canon.
05-03-2013, 04:44 AM   #176
Pentaxian
gazonk's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Oslo area, Norway
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,509
QuoteOriginally posted by TOUGEFC Quote
Compare it too the Nikon 35mm f/1.8G , (Metal mount, fast quiet AF motor, sealed , faster, quick-shift, cheaper and better built, it even comes with a lens hood and pouch!)
You do have a point, but...:

AF is definitely less noisy with the Nikkor - but is it faster? (Photozone: "However, allthough it's sonic wave driven, the AF is not really a speed demon.")
The Nikkor is sealed? I don't think so - just sealed in the way the DA17-70 is sealed (at the mount).
The price difference is small.

And the DA35 scores some points, too: It has less CA and weighs a LOT less.
- AND it seems to be fully FF compatible (the Nikkor is not)!
05-03-2013, 04:46 AM   #177
Pentaxian
gazonk's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Oslo area, Norway
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,509
QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
I didn't mention Canon.
So Canon is "winding down" too?
05-03-2013, 04:49 AM   #178
Site Supporter




Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Nebraska
Photos: Albums
Posts: 783
The DA 35 2.4 is an extremely good lens for its cost. Toughefc - I am a huge fan of your work (and you are the reason I will get the DA 55 and the FA 77), but let's be honest. If Pentax made a FF you wouldn't have just said that about Nikon. We are FF away from the best system in the world for cost ratio.
05-03-2013, 04:58 AM   #179
Site Supporter
cali92rs's Avatar

Join Date: May 2011
Location: Long Beach, CA
Posts: 3,201
QuoteOriginally posted by zbrueningsen Quote
We are FF away from the best system in the world for cost ratio.
How is this true? Nikon makes a lot of lenses that are still in production, that are AF, which are cheaper than Pentax's APS-C offerings.
05-03-2013, 04:59 AM   #180
Veteran Member
TOUGEFC's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Brisbane
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,561
QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
You do have a point, but...:

AF is definitely less noisy with the Nikkor - but is it faster? (Photozone: "However, allthough it's sonic wave driven, the AF is not really a speed demon.")
The Nikkor is sealed? I don't think so - just sealed in the way the DA17-70 is sealed (at the mount).
The price difference is small.

And the DA35 scores some points, too: It has less CA and weighs a LOT less.
- AND it seems to be fully FF compatible (the Nikkor is not)!
The Nikon works pretty good on full frame -



Produces better bokeh too, has 7 rounded blades (DAL35mm has 6 straight blades)

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
but is it faster?
When I said faster I was refering to the large aperture, so yes, f/1.8 vs f/2.4 (I know what I would rather!! )

I never said its AF speed was faster, I said "it has fast quiet AF motor"

Last edited by TOUGEFC; 05-03-2013 at 05:07 AM.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
lens, lens price hike, pentax, pentax lens price, pentax news, pentax rumors, prices
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Here we go again... ofer4 Photographic Industry and Professionals 16 04-15-2013 05:34 PM
Here we go again.... grhazelton General Talk 34 11-30-2012 04:16 PM
Nature Tornado watch in Ma.Here we go again. charliezap Post Your Photos! 9 08-11-2012 06:36 PM
Here we go again.... grhazelton General Talk 2 01-19-2012 04:49 PM
Here we go again. Photo Tramp Post Your Photos! 2 09-09-2006 12:58 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:23 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top