Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-03-2013, 05:26 AM   #181
Banned

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Biro Quote
Why is it hard to understand? Because none of these lenses are new, the development costs have been recovered for a while and production has been moved out of Japan to Vietnam (where labor is far cheaper and quality control is spottier). In other words, these lenses are not worth the new prices and most Pentaxians have enough sense to know when they're being hosed
Which is why companies such as Sigma are destroying Pentax in both optical quality and build quality; noting that most of the Sigma lenses are still built in Japan.

05-03-2013, 05:46 AM   #182
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by TOUGEFC Quote
When I said faster I was refering to the large aperture, so yes, f/1.8 vs f/2.4 (I know what I would rather!! )

I never said its AF speed was faster, I said "it has fast quiet AF motor"
Sorry, there was only one word "motor" and "faster", so stupid me mixed it up
05-03-2013, 05:57 AM   #183
Banned

You know guys, I'm really, really getting sick of threads like these .. I mean, I know people have a right to react and disclose their discomfort with this or that business decision ... but I'm tired of reading bad news all the time!

The only bright spark was the Ricoh GR recently, and that one is almost forgotten in the wake of these bad news for US customers. Gosh, can we start something more uplifting? Is there anything positive and interesting coming out, does anyone knows something unconfirmed but positive, that may put an end to this gloomy atmosphere?

I feel like Frodo Baggins in the land of Mordor. Where are those bloody eagles? Where is Gandalf?
Do we need to bribe someone at Pentax to start talking, spreading something inspiring? What's the minimum bribe level? Spending money on that guy can save us all more expensive medical bills.

Last edited by Uluru; 05-03-2013 at 06:03 AM.
05-03-2013, 06:15 AM   #184
Site Supporter

Apparently something is getting lost in translation. Tokyo keeps hearing people want a Lens Map updated and they interpret that to mean price jack.

05-03-2013, 06:46 AM - 3 Likes   #185
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Apparently something is getting lost in translation. Tokyo keeps hearing people want a Lens Map updated and they interpret that to mean price jack.
They're confusing "lens map updated" with "lens MAP up", probably
05-03-2013, 06:48 AM   #186
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Probably so indeed.
As one could say, "business as usual" and better take your time to shoot pictures while saving money for new GR, next month's FA limited price cut, or even upcoming FF glass

Last edited by Zygonyx; 05-03-2013 at 06:53 AM.
05-03-2013, 06:51 AM   #187
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by TOUGEFC Quote
The Nikon works pretty good on full frame -
Not always (not stopped down), it seems:
Flickr: Discussing AF-S 35/1.8 on full frame (sample photos) in AF-S DX NIKKOR 35mm f/1.8G
05-03-2013, 06:56 AM   #188
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Clearly not as from f/5.6

05-03-2013, 07:08 AM   #189

The prices are still the same on Amazon. Adorama and B&H both do price match. So at this point I don't see an issue. This is normal business from other camera companies. I just left Canon, I could go to three different websites and see three different prices. No biggie, just buy from the site with the lowest price. Or if you only buy from one place, contact them and show them the price from the other site and they will match it I'm sure.

As far as if this is from Pentax or not, I don't know. I do know I'd NEVER buy any of those lenses at the increased price. So if this is from Pentax and all sites will have to have these new prices, bad move on their part.

I'm sure Sigma doesn't mind them doing this. The 30 1.4 and 85 1.4 look even better now!
05-03-2013, 07:16 AM   #190
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Jason401 Quote
I just left Canon, I could go to three different websites and see three different prices. No biggie, just buy from the site with the lowest price.
Not anymore...

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/non-pentax-cameras-canon-nikon-etc/223692-canon-map.html
05-03-2013, 07:35 AM   #191
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
The 35/2.4 is new as well. Problem is that the two of them are reworks, in cheaper form, of existing designs.
That's a little disingenuous. Pretty much all these optics have been dialled in for a few decades now!

New coatings and tweaking for the flat plane necessities of sensors rather than film, lighter weights, etc., are all improvements in my book. The 50/1.8 and 35/2.4 look to be excellent value lenses that meet today's high-ISO market needs very well.

As in the past, you can pay a premium for a 50/1.4 or a macros 35/2.8 (a resolution monster with macro edge-to-edge sharpness and flat field perspective).
05-03-2013, 07:51 AM   #192
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Looking at what Canon, Olympus, and Nikon are doing with their lens prices and distribution, we may just have to get used tot he fact that prices now are coming nearer to actual costs of production and distribution regardless of manufacturer. The Fuji X-series glass and its Zeiss counterparts look to be very pricey, Canon's products are also edging up substantially with distribution clam-down, and both Olympus and Nikon, already premium priced ins many areas, are holding the line or increasing prices as well.

Personally I think these price changes area last gasp before the lower value Yen takes effect. Japan is trying to export its way out of a fiscal mess. All Japanese companies are having pricing issues right now having endured very high material import costs over the last 2 years and falling demand. As the Yen falls their import costs rise, passed on to us. I'm not sure how this will play out because most Japanese electronics firms are wedded to volume. I see Canon, Nikon, Sony, and Fuji getting hurt the most.

The other shoe dropping here is the persistence of online price pressure, especially since US shops are monster re-exporters (B&H, Adorama) at the expense of local B&M and even national online (I'm from Canada...often B&H imported directly is lower). Frankly I think the Japanese head offices are frustrated by the US marketing and re-export system (it's illegal to prevent in the US) so they are trying to clamp down at source. Finger in the dike. As a wild guess I'd say that half the increases are based on this, the other half on monetary matters which will reduce over time, maybe by Christmas.
05-03-2013, 08:03 AM   #193
Dan

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
You know guys, I'm really, really getting sick of threads like these .. I mean, I know people have a right to react and disclose their discomfort with this or that business decision ... but I'm tired of reading bad news all the time! ...
What I find tiring is the dreadful news. Given this, you have to expect that people will react. The problem is not that people are complaining. The problem is that there is a lot to complain about.

With these ridiculous new lens prices who in the world would recommend Pentax to a friend? I used to be an evangelist for Pentax. I convinced several of my friends to buy a Pentax system. Now I feel rather badly about it. All I can do now for those poor saps is apologize. I am certainly not going to repeat my mistake.

Dan
05-03-2013, 08:08 AM   #194
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Dan Quote
What I find tiring is the dreadful news. Given this, you have to expect that people will react. The problem is not that people are complaining. The problem is that there is a lot to complain about.
I think that's really what he was saying.

QuoteOriginally posted by Dan Quote
With these ridiculous new lens prices who in the world would recommend Pentax to a friend?
I'm in the same boat. I don't feel badly about it as they're happy with the system but I can't recommend Pentax again now.
05-03-2013, 08:19 AM   #195
Forum Member

It seems prices of other older lenses also rose on eBay. Bought the FA 50mm f/1.7 for $280, two weeks ago, its now $390. I already have all I need, only missed the 31mm f/1.8.