Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 72 Likes Search this Thread
05-26-2013, 12:59 PM   #376
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Brick and mortar stores that have figured out how to balance online with in-store pricing and service have it in their interests to offer a broad array of competing brands. I have seen many a store with Pentax in them. Problem is, Pentax often has structural flaws in their product lines that greatly lessens appeal.

Probably the best comparison is with Olympus. Olympus has a ridiculous array of cameras. they do't make it easy for consumers, that's for sure. But when you do buy into their system, they have most of the options of a Canikon, such as flashes, underwater housings, lens accessories and so on.

Furthermore the Olympus lens line-up is more robust comparatively, in large part because they've stuck to a single sensor size. But they have teleconverters, and a less haphazard offering. It's more of a system that is regularly refreshed than Pentax where the newest flash, for example, is ancient.

Pentax's lack of direction and focus (sic) are painful for ground level employees of b&m stores. The front line staff I have spoken with routinely like having Canikon alternatives, but when Pentax doesn't know what the brand stands for (WR or Joseph and His Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat) they don't know what they are selling.

Pentax becomes just another camera where any particular mode'ls' competing and distinguishing features get lost. The onyl area where I have seen Pentax compete is on price, where cameras like the K-x and K-30 are very good on spec and value. Then, when people do ask of the brand at the counter, that excellent Pentax engineering is often a good sell in its own right.

There is always a place for a rugged value brand.

05-26-2013, 07:42 PM   #377
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
Brick and mortar stores that have figured out how to balance online with in-store pricing and service have it in their interests to offer a broad array of competing brands. I have seen many a store with Pentax in them. Problem is, Pentax often has structural flaws in their product lines that greatly lessens appeal.

Probably the best comparison is with Olympus. Olympus has a ridiculous array of cameras. they do't make it easy for consumers, that's for sure. But when you do buy into their system, they have most of the options of a Canikon, such as flashes, underwater housings, lens accessories and so on.

Furthermore the Olympus lens line-up is more robust comparatively, in large part because they've stuck to a single sensor size. But they have teleconverters, and a less haphazard offering. It's more of a system that is regularly refreshed than Pentax where the newest flash, for example, is ancient.

Pentax's lack of direction and focus (sic) are painful for ground level employees of b&m stores. The front line staff I have spoken with routinely like having Canikon alternatives, but when Pentax doesn't know what the brand stands for (WR or Joseph and His Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat) they don't know what they are selling.

Pentax becomes just another camera where any particular mode'ls' competing and distinguishing features get lost. The onyl area where I have seen Pentax compete is on price, where cameras like the K-x and K-30 are very good on spec and value. Then, when people do ask of the brand at the counter, that excellent Pentax engineering is often a good sell in its own right.

There is always a place for a rugged value brand.
But Pentax is Leica-Lite! Value is a thing of the past. We're upscale now! We're Moving On Up! To the East Side, to a Deluxe Apartment in the Sky!
05-26-2013, 08:07 PM   #378
Veteran Member

Furthermore the Olympus lens line-up is more robust comparatively
You think so?

The fastest lens they sell is 1.8, right? On M-4/3 that's not very fast at all...

I certainly wouldn't trade Pentax lenses for Olympus lenses, not a chance.
05-27-2013, 05:54 AM   #379
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
You think so?

The fastest lens they sell is 1.8, right? On M-4/3 that's not very fast at all...

The whole Olympus ecosystem of flashes and accessories ir much more robust than what Pentax offers. Surprisingly, few people buy on the speed of glass. Your metric doesn't match the market norms.

05-27-2013, 06:07 AM   #380
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You think so?

There is a Panasonic/Leica 25mm 1.4. How many lenses does Pentax make again that are faster than 1.8?

That said, the Limited lineup is still better filled out than the Oly/Panny lineup of premium primes.
05-27-2013, 07:34 AM   #381
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Giklab Quote
There is a Panasonic/Leica 25mm 1.4. How many lenses does Pentax make again that are faster than 1.8?

That said, the Limited lineup is still better filled out than the Oly/Panny lineup of premium primes.
I'd have to agree with that. There really isn't a whole lot about the M 4/3 system that I'm terribly jealous of.
05-27-2013, 09:08 AM   #382
Veteran Member

The whole Olympus ecosystem of flashes and accessories ir much more robust than what Pentax offers. Surprisingly, few people buy on the speed of glass. Your metric doesn't match the market norms.
I'm not doubting your points on the flashes/accessories. Hell, they HAVE teleconverters.

But you also said they had a 'more robust' set of lenses, and I don't think that's true.

05-27-2013, 09:13 AM   #383
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Giklab Quote

If you include the Panasonic lenses, than Pentax should include the Sigma/Tamron/Rokinon/etc lenses, which do have some fast lenses in there, here and there.

The 43mm F/1.9 on Pentax would act like a 32mm F/1.43 on Olympus.
The 31mm F/1.8 on Pentax would act like a 23mm F/1.35 on Olympus
The 50mm F/1.8...
The 55mm F/1.4...
The 50mm F/1.4...
The 77mm F/1.8...
The 70mm F/2.4...
The 35mm F/2.4...

It seems Pentax has 8 lenses that are as fast, more or less, as the fastest Olympus lens. Pentax doesn't have fast lenses but Olympus has even less.
05-27-2013, 01:40 PM   #384

This is my post, and I am unfortunately taken aback by this thread. I was excited about purchasing my first D-30, but this thread has now made me rethink my decision. I hear a lot of people swearing off buying new lenses, and some people now hesitant to buy Pentax equipment. That's not what I was hoping to hear when I came to these forums. I have to be sure when I pull the trigger as funds are limited, and this has not left me with much confidence jumping on-board now.
05-27-2013, 01:52 PM   #385
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kenntak Quote
This is my post, and I am unfortunately taken aback by this thread. I was excited about purchasing my first D-30, but this thread has now made me rethink my decision. I hear a lot of people swearing off buying new lenses, and some people now hesitant to buy Pentax equipment. That's not what I was hoping to hear when I came to these forums. I have to be sure when I pull the trigger as funds are limited, and this has not left me with much confidence jumping on-board now.
If you want premium lenses, new ones from Pentax will cost you. But if you just want kit lenses (like the 18-55, 50-200mm, 55-300mm, or 18-135mm) or affordable primes (DA 35mm and DA 50mm), then the prices are actually lower now. Check out these kits:

Pentax K-30 Digital Camera (Body Only) (Black) 15613 B&H Photo
New Pentax Kit Deals - Pentax Deals - PentaxForums.com

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-27-2013, 02:50 PM - 1 Like   #386
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Kenntak Quote
I have bought several Pentax Limited lenses several years back, at prices higher than Pentax users from the US are buying them now! Because I'm an Australian, we have been paying proper prices since day one and don't cry like babies. And would I do that again? Absolutely.

Those lenses are magnificent, and a bargain compared to similar lenses from other manufacturers. And fact is, no other manufacturer has anything like it. By knowing that, your photography experience becomes very unique.

I have never regretted buying into Pentax. But in these threads you must discern wishful thinking and wild fantasies coming from forum members and the reality. Most of them don't even realise what a lineup of fantastic glass Pentax has right now. The are anxious for new camera bodies, they want something new because they know current cameras inside out (on paper I mean, few bother with actually taking photographs ) and are waiting for an FF camera that "will blow Canon and Nikon away".

Leave them alone

An Aussie formula to satisfaction: buy less, but better quality, and enjoy your purchase more by taking more amazing photographs and breathing some fresh air.

Last edited by Uluru; 05-27-2013 at 02:58 PM.
05-27-2013, 04:52 PM   #387
Veteran Member

If you include the Panasonic lenses, than Pentax should include the Sigma/Tamron/Rokinon/etc lenses, which do have some fast lenses in there, here and there.

The 43mm F/1.9 on Pentax would act like a 32mm F/1.43 on Olympus.
The 31mm F/1.8 on Pentax would act like a 23mm F/1.35 on Olympus
The 50mm F/1.8...
The 55mm F/1.4...
The 50mm F/1.4...
The 77mm F/1.8...
The 70mm F/2.4...
The 35mm F/2.4...

It seems Pentax has 8 lenses that are as fast, more or less, as the fastest Olympus lens. Pentax doesn't have fast lenses but Olympus has even less.
Perhaps I'm being obtuse, but if you actually put a 43mm f/1.9 on a micro four-thirds camera, wouldn't it behave as an 86mm lens? The same with all the others. 2x crop factor. Heck, the 31mm acts like a 46mm lens even on a Pentax DSLR - at least any made to date.
05-27-2013, 04:58 PM   #388

B&M Stores in the US rarely carry Pentax cameras unless you live in New York City.
05-27-2013, 05:09 PM   #389
Pentaxian

I went through the same thing, Tuco, probably the same camera store(s). I took a leap of faith on the K5ii, I'm happy to meet you in a pub or coffee shop and let you try mine to see if it speaks to you. PM me if you're interested, I'm in the Queen Anne area.

Troy

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Pentax does need to step up its game and have a presents in stores. How else do you get to see or hold one before you buy. The local pro camera shop in my area has no Pentax cameras anymore (except used film ones). You can hold practically any mirrorless, a Leica M9 and of course the other two brands.

I wanted to see how well they improved the focus speed in the new K5II. My old K-7 is a dog at that. Couldn't experience it for myself. But they easily handed me a D800 to try and wow. That's the kind of performance I desire.

Last edited by troika; 05-28-2013 at 10:54 AM.
05-27-2013, 05:57 PM   #390
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Biro Quote
Perhaps I'm being obtuse, but if you actually put a 43mm f/1.9 on a micro four-thirds camera, wouldn't it behave as an 86mm lens? The same with all the others. 2x crop factor. Heck, the 31mm acts like a 46mm lens even on a Pentax DSLR - at least any made to date.
I was trying to say:

If you wanted to build a lens that produces a comparable image as the 43mm F/1.9 does on a Pentax K-5, you would need a 31mm F/1.4...

...but with less words.

We were comparing Olympus vs Pentax, so I didn't see a need to bring in a FF discussion and muddy the waters even further.