Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-28-2013, 09:17 PM   #406
Pentaxian




Join Date: Sep 2012
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,728
QuoteOriginally posted by Allison Quote
I think they were really confused by me because I am a wedding shooter. There is such a FF push in the wedding industry and this was last year at this time so everyone was all about the D800. I think it is easy to see why an outdoor/wildlife shooter would choose Pentax - weather sealing alone makes it a sound choice. It is just harder to see with weddings (although weather sealing is nice there too!). When I was there the one guy acknowledged that he had spoken with the Pentax rep, but they just didn't have enough demand to carry in stock. Still, tamron for Pentax on their website is a start. I should take the IIs in there... I have to say I find it to be a truly impressive camera!
If neither of you have been to Dodd Camera in downtown Cleveland... well let me just say you'll find plenty to keep you occupied and interested. I haven't been in there in 2013 but last I was there they had every Pentax model from the Q to 645D (plus the obligatory Canon, Nikon, Sony, Fuji, Oly, etc.). That's not to mention everything you could possibly outfit a studio with.

05-28-2013, 09:45 PM   #407
Banned




Join Date: May 2010
Location: Back to my Walkabout Creek
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,541
QuoteOriginally posted by Allison Quote
I think they were really confused by me because I am a wedding shooter. There is such a FF push in the wedding industry and this was last year at this time so everyone was all about the D800...
Wedding photographers .. God bless them, most of them move the whole photography industry into the oblivion of stereotypes.
05-28-2013, 10:46 PM   #408
Veteran Member
bossa's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Adelaide
Posts: 4,546
QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
Wedding photographers .. God bless them, most of them move the whole photography industry into the oblivion of stereotypes.
05-29-2013, 10:15 AM   #409
Site Supporter




Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,040
Pentax used to make great glass at a very good price. Buying time was two+ years ago. What the need are new lens designs and cameras.

05-29-2013, 01:51 PM   #410
Site Supporter
ramseybuckeye's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Elida, Ohio
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 8,622
QuoteOriginally posted by IchabodCrane Quote
If neither of you have been to Dodd Camera in downtown Cleveland... well let me just say you'll find plenty to keep you occupied and interested. I haven't been in there in 2013 but last I was there they had every Pentax model from the Q to 645D (plus the obligatory Canon, Nikon, Sony, Fuji, Oly, etc.). That's not to mention everything you could possibly outfit a studio with.
Cleveland is 3+ hours away for me so I haven't had that pleasure. I've been to a Dodd store in Dayton that has lots of Canon and Nikon, some Sony and Oly, but no Pentax. Cord's main store in Columbus is odd, I've been there when the have several Pentax models and when they have none. They never seem to have a lens selection though. I wish Midwest had Pentax, they sell a lot of lenses for what they carry, but they sell a lot of accessories like tripods and bags, and have a ton of lighting gear. They sell a lot of pro studio gear. I think if I went in and said I wanted to buy a Pentax lens they would call B&H and get it. I've actually heard employees telling ither employees to call B&H.
05-30-2013, 12:11 AM   #411
Pentaxian
Gray's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Cape Town
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 387
Boycotting Pentax Assembled in Vietnam lenses

Well, to add another dimension besides the skyrocketing lens prices I've decided not to purchase Pentax AIV lenses in protest against Vietnam's particpation in Africa's rhino slaughter. Here in South Africa we have a huge wildlife crisis, having lost over 370 rhino killed by poachers this year despite a very energetic anti-poaching effort.

Vietnam's Appetite For Rhino Horn Drives Poaching In Africa (NPR)
Worsening Rhino war Strains Countries’ Relations (Nat. Geo.)
Rhino horn smuggling bosses jailed in US (Daily Maverick, S.Africa)

Gray

Last edited by Gray; 05-30-2013 at 12:34 AM.
05-30-2013, 12:48 AM   #412
Pentaxian
Clavius's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: De Klundert
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,122
QuoteOriginally posted by Gray Quote
Well, to add another dimension besides the skyrocketing lens prices I've decided not to purchase Pentax AIV lenses in protest against Vietnam's particpation in Africa's rhino slaughter. Here in South Africa we have a huge wildlife crisis, having lost over 370 rhino killed by poachers this year despite a very energetic anti-poaching effort.

Vietnam's Appetite For Rhino Horn Drives Poaching In Africa (NPR)
Worsening Rhino war Strains Countries’ Relations (Nat. Geo.)
Rhino horn smuggling bosses jailed in US (Daily Maverick, S.Africa)

Gray
Please don't make this political, or it will end up in some moderator closing the thread.

I don't think we should punish Pentax for not marketing an FF camera, not updating their lens lineup, not updating their flashes, asking exorbitant prices for their lenses AND the poaching of protected (but stinky) animals. We should cut them some slack somewhere.
05-30-2013, 09:27 AM   #413
New Member




Join Date: Dec 2012
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 19
What Price Increase?

This has to be some kind of wild rumor! Such price increases would indicate an inflationary economy. The media say there is NO inflation in our economy, so this must be some kind of rumor! FOX news said so!

Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
lens, lens price hike, pentax, pentax lens price, pentax news, pentax rumors, prices
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Here we go again... ofer4 Photographic Industry and Professionals 16 04-15-2013 05:34 PM
Here we go again.... grhazelton General Talk 34 11-30-2012 04:16 PM
Nature Tornado watch in Ma.Here we go again. charliezap Post Your Photos! 9 08-11-2012 06:36 PM
Here we go again.... grhazelton General Talk 2 01-19-2012 04:49 PM
Here we go again. Photo Tramp Post Your Photos! 2 09-09-2006 12:58 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:52 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top