Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-02-2013, 01:13 AM   #106
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
A couple of observations from me that tie into the lens increases...and of course this is my opinion.
You're inferring quite a lot about what goes on in Japan just from price hikes in the US... Pentax lens prices here in Norway seems to have been stable or in some cases dropped slightly over the last 1-2 years.

05-02-2013, 01:26 AM   #107
Veteran Member

(I posted this theory in the other thread, but I thought it worth posting here too, for anyone who cares)

I notice that all the lenses there are relatively old, basically any remaining lens with an aperture ring (minus the FA 31), as well as most of the oldest DA lenses that haven't already been directly replaced (e.g. 50-200 and 100 macro with WR versions) or discontinued entirely (e.g. 16-45).

Now under a standard retail model, PRIC's revenue comes in when the retailer buys stock from them. Anything in stock at the retailer, PRIC has already gotten their money for. When those items are sold, hopefully the retailer orders more from PRIC, generating further revenue. Now what if there were no more for the retailers to order (i.e. discontinued/due to be replaced)? At that point it doesn't really matter to PRIC what those lenses are sold for. But at the same time, if those lenses are to be replaced, they don't want cheap old versions (for which they can get no further money) undercutting sales of new versions (their new revenue generator), so they deliberately price the old versions uncompetitively.

Or it could just be insanity/greed...
05-02-2013, 01:27 AM - 1 Like   #108
Pentaxian

[deleted]

Last edited by beholder3; 08-11-2013 at 07:08 AM. Reason: [deleted]
05-02-2013, 01:50 AM   #109
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
It is currently sold between 800 and 870 EUR, given the cheapness of the USD that converts into $1,055-1,147...
$750 seems like a bargain.
With current exchange rates, it sells for 837-850 EUR (two shops checked) here in Norway - but without the VAT, that's only 670 EUR...

I found it for 799 EUR in German web shops, but that's also inclusive VAT, so to compare it to US prices, you should use the price without VAT. That's currently 19% in Germany, right? So the comparable price is 671 EUR - what a surprise, just like in Norway!

Let's see where actual shop prices end up, but so far I think we can conclude that the new US price is too high...

05-02-2013, 01:57 AM   #110
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
You're inferring quite a lot about what goes on in Japan just from price hikes in the US... Pentax lens prices here in Norway seems to have been stable or in some cases dropped slightly over the last 1-2 years.
Yes, exactly. Why people don't bother looking at what's happening with Pentax Australia for example, to 'conclude' what will happen in the immediate future of the global brand?
If judged by Pentax Australia, Pentax is fairing well and the prices and the offer have never been better!
05-02-2013, 02:27 AM   #111
Pentaxian

[deleted]

Last edited by beholder3; 08-11-2013 at 07:08 AM. Reason: [deleted]
05-02-2013, 02:37 AM - 1 Like   #112
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
Are you actually saying that you can afjord it? ;-)

Bad joke but I couldn't help myself..

05-02-2013, 02:40 AM   #113
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
Yes, exactly. Why people don't bother looking at what's happening with Pentax Australia for example, to 'conclude' what will happen in the immediate future of the global brand?
If judged by Pentax Australia, Pentax is fairing well and the prices and the offer have never been better!
Did you really have to mention that?
05-02-2013, 02:52 AM - 1 Like   #114
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
I don't think so. It seems locals have to pay somewhere between 0% (!) and 11% (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sales_taxes_in_the_United_States) sales tax there. If you apply an average 6% to $750 that is $795 end price with tax.

That still is significantly cheaper than the $1,000+ price over here (even if you would choose the most "expensive" state version). Basically it seems prices are just being slowly adjusted to normal international averages. And have still some way to go until they get there.

And if they buy online (which is obviously not totally off): Does even the relatively small 0-11% apply at all? It seems not. But the local residents can explain better if they have to.
Um, I would like to think I'm pointing out the obvious, but...

Taxes like VAT are paid to your government. Taxes fund your country's education, emergency services, health care, infrastructure, etc.

Base price hikes are paid to the Pentax Ricoh Imaging Co. Ltd and retailers. Base price hikes fund corporations.

If PRIC raises US prices so that our bottom line out-of-pocket expense is the same as Europeans' with VAT, is PRIC going to use that extra profit to pay for our schools, emergency services, infrastructure, etc.?

Last edited by Cannikin; 05-02-2013 at 03:11 AM.
05-02-2013, 03:03 AM   #115

Photos: Gallery
There is no apparent sales strategy to increase sales through these price hikes. One can make an argument about equalizing prices internationally, but then Apple and others (not just U.S. companies) have been pretty successful with lower prices in the U.S.

I'm no accountant or business analyst, but the only immediate effect of a price rise is to increase the value of inventory being held. So maybe this has less to do with the retail market for goods than the accounting practices and perhaps attractiveness of the company for investment or sale.
05-02-2013, 03:50 AM   #116
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Cannikin Quote
Um, I would like to think I'm pointing out the obvious, but...
Thank you for saving me the time of pointing out the obvious

I'd like to add that if one purchases abroad, one typically can get a VAT refund in the country of purchase, but one still has to pay the VAT at home (except for (in the Norwegian case) goods for up to about $1000 brought home from a trip).
05-02-2013, 04:21 AM   #117
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by kpevav Quote
One can make an argument about equalizing prices internationally, but then Apple and others (not just U.S. companies) have been pretty successful with lower prices in the U.S.
As far as I'm aware Apple usually attaches a number to their products and then just plonks a different currency behind (or in front of) it. That essentially means that in countries with lower value currency have the stuff cheaper. Relatively speaking ofc.
05-02-2013, 04:25 AM - 1 Like   #118
Pentaxian

The funny thing about this price hike is that most of these lenses are very old. I didn't even know that the FA35 was still available on the US market.

DA 14mm F2.8 - hasn't this lens long been rumored as discontinued?

All these may get a refresh (new design and for instance WR and/or silent drive and/or new coating) soon, especially if Pentax prepares for FF:

FA 35mm F2
FA 43mm F1.9 Limited
D FA 50mm F2.8 Macro
FA 50mm F1.4
FA 77mm F1.8 Limited

Then there is:
DA 10-17mm F3.5-4.5 - very old, also due for a refresh?
DA 12-24mm F4 - very probably going to be replaced by a 12-28

Finally, these should be replaced by newer lenses with WR as kit lenses for a potential new high-level APS-C camera:
DA 17-70mm F4
DA 55-300mm F4-5.8

More Pentax news at: Are Pentax lens prices going up again? - Pentax News - PentaxForums.com
05-02-2013, 05:11 AM   #119
Veteran Member

Wow, upcoming issues on Facebook....

Anyhow, I am glad I have sold most of my lenses. I have only 4 semi-valueable lenses left (10-20, 18-135, 70-300, 50/1.7 - my 16-45 needs to go). I won't do any purchases this year, neither for Pentax nor for Canon and have an eye at Fuji.

It's quit and up and down with Pentax: a feel weeks ago I had the feeling everybody was optimistic, now this has completely changed. My confidence has gone a while ago, I still shot Pentax because I like the K5 and the kit I have, but I doubt I'll do new investments...

Last edited by Ash; 05-15-2013 at 10:44 PM.
05-02-2013, 05:20 AM   #120

K Mount License Fees

I wonder if Pentax has increased their licensing fees to Sigma and Tamron and this is why fewer new lenses are being offered in K mount?
Carl Zeiss, apparently didn't find the K mount profitable enough.