Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-01-2013, 11:06 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I posted the link on Pentax's FB page. I asked them why they are doing this, so I'll see if they answer...

05-01-2013, 11:18 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Demand has gone down thus prices go up as lenses and camera bodies are considered luxury items in this economy (shelf life and necessity items work the opposite), in the end it balances the books - selling 30 lenses at the new prices yields as much profit as selling 45 lenses at the old price, this is one way of maintaining a profit. This also allows them to create buyers euphoria during sale periods, dropping prices to original pre-price increases to get the suckers to bite.
05-01-2013, 11:20 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It makes me glad that I own most of the Pentax lenses that I want, but it does make me worried about the future. Not sure if Pentax wants to be Leica-like, but lenses like the 10-17 or the 55-300 aren't high end lenses. Pentax has to price glass based on what Nikon and Canon are selling at. I don't think they have to under cut them considerably, but they can't be priced astronomically higher, either.
05-01-2013, 11:23 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
My name is Chris and I haven't purchased a Pentax lens new since January 2011.

05-01-2013, 11:30 AM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by v5planet Quote
My name is Chris and I haven't purchased a Pentax lens new since January 2011.
The only Pentax lens I ever bought new was the kit that came with my K-r. Only two of the Pentax lenses I have are even in production anymore. My FA 50 f/1.4 is the only one on the list. I got that one for $240.

This price increase doesn't sound good for business, but I personally couldn't care less. I'm perfectly happy buying Sigma, Tamron, or Samyang if they offer a better price/performance ratio. Brand loyalty is a dated concept, anyway.

Really, I could get by without buying any lenses ever again. Maybe Pentax is trying to cure LBA? Relax, people. They're just trying to help.
05-01-2013, 11:33 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Would be nice to get some official commentary on this. Are sales really strong enough to justify these sorts of increases? Doesn't seem to me like that's the case.
Prices are usually calculated in order to give the manufacturer (or seller) a certain profit margin. Pentax have no interest of selling lots of lenses they loose money on.
05-01-2013, 11:34 AM   #22

Im not sure i understand their business model here. Maybe they think if they hike up the prices when they end up slahing them people will buy more? Instead of toying with the prices they should work on coming out with new lenses. It seems like the competitors are constantly coming out with new lenses.

05-01-2013, 11:35 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm happy I picked up the FA 31mm a few weeks ago at great price at Ace Photo. All I have to say if this continues, I will only buy used lenses as I have got some real gems on the Market Place. Also, there better be some great things in the pipeline to keep customers. The new GR is a good start be we need more than prices and a trickle of new product.
05-01-2013, 11:35 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Medium FormatPro Quote
Some will find a way to blame the limited release of new items on the reorganizing of the company though.
Blame? Seems to be quite obvious. It takes about 1,5 years to develop a DSLR. A new owner is guaranteed to mean some change of plans and/or new strategies...
05-01-2013, 11:36 AM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The only Pentax lens I have ever purchased new was the white box DA L 55-300...

In fact, that is the only other lens I have ever purchased that was new was the Computar 28/2.8 I bought on eBay for $17.43 shipped.

The only new Pentax lens that I'm interested in didn't get a price increase and has been backordered for a while.
05-01-2013, 11:38 AM - 1 Like   #26
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
Prices are usually calculated in order to give the manufacturer (or seller) a certain profit margin. Pentax have no interest of selling lots of lenses they loose money on.
No sales means no profit though Even before this, B&H had trouble clearing inventory until Black Friday came around...

Most consumer photo gear has margins of 100% or more when comparing the wholesale price to the sticker price. I'm sure they already had plenty to work with...something else must be at work here.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-01-2013, 11:48 AM   #27

Predicting doom and gloom just because some prices are gone up, is too short minded in my opinion. I can think of couple of things that could have caused this.

1. Pentax was probably selling these at razor thin margin so not much space to offer rebates. Remember Canikon and specially Nikon offers regular rebates which keeps their prices down. So I suspect, this will be followed by regular occasional rebates (like Nikon) to spur up volume in spikes eventually selling more lenses at the end of the day.

2. If anyone here know anything about Ricoh, they have always placed their Cameras as premium offering for a niche market. They seem to be happy with less sale at higher prices than flooding market with cheap cameras. At least on Ricoh side they have cult like following specially in their home market. Ricoh GRD IV a 10Mp fixed lens compact was selling for $600-700 not so long ago. Even now after GRD V announcement its selling for $549 that's nearer to Sony RX100 and costlier than Nikon/Pany/Oly entry level mirrorless. I do not remember any Ricoh loyal customers complaining about GRD being costlier.

3. Prices of "consumser" lenses seem to have not affected rather have been reduced drastically through current rebates. This is probably an attempt to position these 10 lenses with Canon L or Nikon higher grade lenses and then offering occasional rebates to level set.

While I understand the pain of shelling more $ if you want to buy the lens right now, I am glad to see Pentax/Ricoh re-calibrating it lens pricing and hoping people behind it know what they are doing for the long term growth and benefit of the brand
05-01-2013, 12:01 PM   #28
Veteran Member

They tried it once before and it flopped. Pentax users aren't Canikon users. But if they do this, they'll be Canikon users instead :-P
05-01-2013, 12:08 PM - 1 Like   #29
MSM
Veteran Member

Hey on the bright side at the current rate of hikes by the time my 4th grader gets to college the 'investment' in the FA 43 mm should meet College Tuition costs for a semester! I can't get this kind of ROI in the market.
05-01-2013, 12:14 PM   #30
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
something else must be at work here.
As I posted on the other thread,
they're now bringing US prices into line
with their prices in other world markets.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/223525-insane-...ml#post2371179