Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 72 Likes Search this Thread
05-01-2013, 07:14 PM   #76
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
So, that lens in Germany is $1425 + $271 = $1696 out the door. My poor math skills say that it is $367 dollars more in Germany (or $217 without the "savings" in force currently).
The tax goes to the government, not to the camera company.
So it's better to keep that out of the equation.

By your reasoning Canon should immediately up the cost of that lens in the US.
No "reasoning", just a response to a question that was asked.

05-01-2013, 07:16 PM - 1 Like   #77
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
There isn't a lot of inflation in the economy right now. Jacking up the price 10 or 20 bucks you could blame on inflation or exchange rates but some lenses had $250 price jumps. I can see no reason to justify a price increase like that. Most companies at least have enough sense to discontinue a product if they aren't making enough profit and then roll out a "new improved" one for the higher price. ...
BINGO!
And that is sooo frustrating with Pentax; they have totally messed up with their lack of commitment to keep *the lens lineup* in best shape and light possible, that people want to abandon the brand and mount (mount = LENSES!) because only Pentax knows is HIKE the prices, and bring no improvement whatsoever.

I'm not sure why on Earth they cannot learn a lesson from Nikon and Canon — people in the end spend more money with Canikon because they reissue the lens, and THEN change the asking price more considerably. But people buy that without complaining!
05-01-2013, 07:18 PM   #78
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
This is not the way to grow market share or keep customers loyal to the brand. Seems to me that Pentax is trying very hard to go out of business. I wouldn't recommend the Pentax K-mount digital system to anyone at the moment -- the company is just too flaky.
05-01-2013, 07:19 PM   #79
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jcdoss Quote
That was sarcasm... a poor attempt, I guess.
Sorry.... I read the post and was like.... WTF?

Need a sarcasm font on this forum.

05-01-2013, 07:21 PM   #80
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
There isn't a lot of inflation in the economy right now. Jacking up the price 10 or 20 bucks you could blame on inflation or exchange rates but some lenses had $250 price jumps. I can see no reason to justify a price increase like that. Most companies at least have enough sense to discontinue a product if they aren't making enough profit and then roll out a "new improved" one for the higher price. Sigma has been doing that and nobody is bitching.
Correct and the Yen has fallen 20+% against the dollar. We should be seeing lower prices for Japanese goods.
05-01-2013, 07:21 PM   #81
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
The tax goes to the government, not to the camera company.
So it's better to keep that out of the equation.

No "reasoning", just a response to a question that was asked.
Sorry, nope. It's a cost to the consumer and all businesses have to take that into consideration in setting prices. Its called reality.
05-01-2013, 07:23 PM   #82
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here's my take on that issue.
I'd like to know the percentage of N/A sales that goes through Adorama and B&H.... While I think the spike in prices on goods already in the market is not a smart move, increasing market pricing of their line makes room for more distributors.

Pentax as a Global entity is affected by weak distribution channel as a result of ever decreasing internet prices. Personally employed in sales, with a company that has minimum pricing agreements with independent outlets, this strategy is a strong way to support B&M distribution.... but should be rolled out with New Tech / New Products (a valid point made time and again above).

The fact is, it is likely not an attack on any one individual here.. because lets face it, as individuals we buy squat in the way of camera gear. This is strategic and tactical to open the doors to greater distribution, and stop the loss of store fronts due to internet pricing. Case in point, Pentax in Canada has invested in new signage at several local outlets.... Brand new sign below!

05-01-2013, 07:26 PM   #83
Banned

Those FA lenses, that are now even more expensive, are all more than 12 (!) years old, all with no MKII version, no upgrade, no refinement, nothing.
Even Leica has a much faster update cycle which entitles them to ask all new prices.
05-01-2013, 07:28 PM   #84
Pentaxian

Sorry, nope. It's a cost to the consumer and all businesses have to take that into consideration in setting prices. Its called reality.
You need to compare like with like.
The price at B&H is a quote without tax.
What domestic US customers actually have to pay
(what you're calling "reality")
will vary according to their local state sales tax
(higher if the state doesn't have income tax).
05-01-2013, 07:30 PM   #85
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mattt Quote
I'd like to know the percentage of N/A sales that goes through Adorama and B&H.... While I think the spike in prices on goods already in the market is not a smart move, increasing market pricing of their line makes room for more distributors.

Pentax as a Global entity is affected by weak distribution channel as a result of ever decreasing internet prices. Personally employed in sales, with a company that has minimum pricing agreements with independent outlets, this strategy is a strong way to support B&M distribution.... but should be rolled out with New Tech / New Products (a valid point made time and again above).

The fact is, it is likely not an attack on any one individual here.. because lets face it, as individuals we buy squat in the way of camera gear. This is strategic and tactical to open the doors to greater distribution, and stop the loss of store fronts due to internet pricing. Case in point, Pentax in Canada has invested in new signage at several local outlets.... Brand new sign below!

Pentax Canada is a shining example of what Pentax USA can only aspire to emulate. Pentax USA is a cluster......

As for propping up storefront photography outlets - there are essentially none in most of the United States. It really is that simple. Atlanta has 1 photography store that only sells camera gear open to the general public. It has 2 others that sell a variety of things, lots of used, and minimal new equipment. Outside of New York there just aren't competitors selling camera gear in US towns. This fantasy that they are going to, as an incredibly small player, somehow prop up an non-existent range of B&M stores is one sign of insanity.
05-01-2013, 07:33 PM   #86
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
Correct and the Yen has fallen 20+% against the dollar. We should be seeing lower prices for Japanese goods.
Absolutely.

But not quite yet.

After the tsunami and Fukushima and the nuclear industry shutdown Japan went through a period of production input inflation, mostly dealing with energy and raw material imports for their export businesses. So older stock...what is on the shelves now from the last 2 years or thereabouts...reflects those costs.

It's not just Pentax, BTW. We're seeing it in Japanese autos as well. Soon the lower yen will rebalance pricing. That is, after all the political intent of the new regime there and the overt control over the central bank we are seeing.

It will all blow up of course...
05-01-2013, 07:33 PM   #87
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
You need to compare like with like.
The price at B&H is a quote without tax.
What domestic US customers actually have to pay
(what you're calling "reality")
will vary according to their local state sales tax
(higher if the state doesn't have income tax).
No, it won't because unless they are in NY State they pay what is listed. B&H has already built THEIR tax liability and other overhead into the price and are making a profit at the old price. The reality is just that - for most of the US the lowest price on the internet is the real, out the door, price. In Europe if you do not add the VAT you are misleading people about what the item costs in real terms.
05-01-2013, 07:46 PM   #88
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

prop up an non-existent range of B&M stores is one sign of insanity
Target, Circuit City, Best Buy, are all technically B&M outlets... Consumers are driving to Box Outlets every day...
05-01-2013, 07:47 PM   #89
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mattt Quote
Target, Circuit City, Best Buy, are all technically B&M outlets... Consumers are driving to Box Outlets every day...
Camera stores is what I read all the time. Circuit City is gone. Target has 3 dSLRs in their stores around here - 3 - and all are entry level. Best Buy is a Big Box store, as is WalMart, but they compete on PRICE. WalMart won't touch gear they can't discount - period.
05-01-2013, 07:54 PM   #90
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Not being a resident of the USA the survival / death of any of the specific brands I mentioned is purely to punctuate the point that a stand alone photography outlet is probably not their objective. All that being equal - I'd say that its a pretty safe bet that the increase is not one that is realized at the PRIC level, it is Minimum selling price to guarantee distributorship. With an organization so thinly staffed, I can assure you a sell direct model will not work, so the pricing situation is tactical to increase distribution. 5 pages of "I'm jumping ship" from the average consumer who buys a camera every other year at best, and collects a dozen or so lenses pales in comparison to a mega merchandising pipeline that can put a K-30 into the hands of hundreds of thousands of soccer moms per year.