Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-02-2013, 05:23 AM   #121
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Sinister Quote
Wow, upcoming issues on Facebook....

Anyhow, I am glad I have sold most of my lenses. I have only 4 semi-valueable lenses left (10-20, 18-135, 70-300, 50/1.7 - my 16-45 needs to go). I won't do any purchases this year, neither for Pentax nor for Canon and have an eye at Fuji.

It's quit and up and down with Pentax: a feel weeks ago I had the feeling everybody was optimistic, now this has completely changed. My confidence has gone a while ago, I still shot Pentax because I like the K5 and the kit I have, but I doubt I'll do new investments...
I'm with you on this

Last edited by Ash; 05-15-2013 at 10:43 PM.
05-02-2013, 05:36 AM   #122
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
New cameras are coming. This is what they do before new cameras come out. The biggest increases were on FF glass...
05-02-2013, 05:41 AM   #123
JPT
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I'm not sure why everybody is so quick to blame Pentax for these price rises and not the retailers. Is there any hard evidence that the price rises are a result of a Pentax decision?

Did Pentax start a campaign of rebates and price drops, only to completely undermine it with price rises on the same day? Seems unlikely.

Did Pentax force Adorama, Amazon and Abe's to raise their prices and then not force B&H to do the same? Seems implausible to me.

As a few posters have mentioned, most of these lenses are old and likely candidates to be replaced. What if Pentax has told the retailers not to expect more stock, started a rebate campaign to deplete stock, and maybe briefed them on what future products to expect? Realising these lenses are quite desirable and likely to be sought after if they become rare, retailers take the opportunity to charge a premium instead of passing the saving on to customers. For whatever reason, B&H has chosen not to do this.

I don't profess to know anything about the retail business in the USA. Maybe I've completely misunderstood the situation, but it seems that Pentax doesn't benefit at all from this and the retailers do.
05-02-2013, 05:52 AM   #124
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Roberto Quote
I wonder if Pentax has increased their licensing fees to Sigma and Tamron and this is why fewer new lenses are being offered in K mount?
Carl Zeiss, apparently didn't find the K mount profitable enough.
I'm probably ignorant and impractical.

Wouldn't the best strategy for Pentax be to drop the license fees all together, and become a highly profilable and valued partner for 3rd party vendors? And at the same time be more attractive to new DSLR buyers?

Just asking.... :-)

05-02-2013, 05:54 AM - 1 Like   #125
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I love these threads. I purged my ignore list after P&R closed, now it's filling up again.
05-02-2013, 05:58 AM - 2 Likes   #126
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Been waiting for some time now to see the "Big Changes" from Ricoh for Pentax. So far all I have seen is a re-run of Hoya, but perhaps worse. Advertising, prices, products....nothing has sparked any real interest in the Pentax Brand that I see, or much benefit to existing Pentax shooters.
Maybe a Brand Name change would get them on track......from what I see, a good name would be Anthrax.

Regards!
05-02-2013, 06:00 AM   #127
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by troenaas Quote

Wouldn't the best strategy for Pentax be to drop the license fees all together, and become a highly profilable and valued partner for 3rd party vendors? And at the same time be more attractive to new DSLR buyers?

License fees? You really think Pentax gets a license fee for the K-mount? The only thing they might get a license fee for is SDM compatibility. All of the third party lens makers have Canon EF lenses, and Canon has never licensed the EF mount...well maybe to Kodak for the DCS.

05-02-2013, 06:11 AM   #128
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
I'm not sure why everybody is so quick to blame Pentax for these price rises and not the retailers. Is there any hard evidence that the price rises are a result of a Pentax decision?

Did Pentax start a campaign of rebates and price drops, only to completely undermine it with price rises on the same day? Seems unlikely.

Did Pentax force Adorama, Amazon and Abe's to raise their prices and then not force B&H to do the same? Seems implausible to me.

As a few posters have mentioned, most of these lenses are old and likely candidates to be replaced. What if Pentax has told the retailers not to expect more stock, started a rebate campaign to deplete stock, and maybe briefed them on what future products to expect? Realising these lenses are quite desirable and likely to be sought after if they become rare, retailers take the opportunity to charge a premium instead of passing the saving on to customers. For whatever reason, B&H has chosen not to do this.

I don't profess to know anything about the retail business in the USA. Maybe I've completely misunderstood the situation, but it seems that Pentax doesn't benefit at all from this and the retailers do.
Yes, this is Pentax's decision. Yes, they did FORCE them to do this through their MAP process that requires retailers to toe the price line or loose their access to any further Pentax products. Its really quite simple. Pentax has decided that higher prices are good for their company.
05-02-2013, 06:15 AM   #129
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
The funny thing about this price hike is that most of these lenses are very old. I didn't even know that the FA35 was still available on the US market.

DA 14mm F2.8 - hasn't this lens long been rumored as discontinued?

All these may get a refresh (new design and for instance WR and/or silent drive and/or new coating) soon, especially if Pentax prepares for FF:

FA 35mm F2
FA 43mm F1.9 Limited
D FA 50mm F2.8 Macro
FA 50mm F1.4
FA 77mm F1.8 Limited

Then there is:
DA 10-17mm F3.5-4.5 - very old, also due for a refresh?
DA 12-24mm F4 - very probably going to be replaced by a 12-28

Finally, these should be replaced by newer lenses with WR as kit lenses for a potential new high-level APS-C camera:
DA 17-70mm F4
DA 55-300mm F4-5.8

More Pentax news at: Are Pentax lens prices going up again? - Pentax News - PentaxForums.com
Good monitoring

DA14 - Pentax Europe rejected to sell it to me several months ago - said - discontinued

As for 12-24 and 10-17 - there were the same info - the lenses are hard to supply.

It's strange that no FA31 in this list...
05-02-2013, 06:17 AM   #130
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Good monitoring

DA14 - Pentax Europe rejected to sell it to me several months ago - said - discontinued

As for 12-24 and 10-17 - there were the same info - the lenses are hard to supply.

It's strange that no FA31 in this list...
The FA31 went up In price at Adorama yesterday as well.
05-02-2013, 06:22 AM   #131
ogl
Banned

I see only one thing - the prices in USA became like in the rest of the world and nothing else.
05-02-2013, 06:25 AM   #132
JPT
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Yes, this is Pentax's decision. Yes, they did FORCE them to do this through their MAP process that requires retailers to toe the price line or loose their access to any further Pentax products. Its really quite simple. Pentax has decided that higher prices are good for their company.
My point is that under MAP retailers have to abide by the minimum but they are under no obligation to treat it as a maximum if they want to hold out for higher prices in future. This would be especially true if they had been briefed there were not going to be direct replacements for them.

Another thing to note is that most of the new products released since Ricoh took over have been very competitively priced. I'm thinking about the K30, K-5 II, Q10, GR. If products continue to be priced well from the start, the MAP doesn't look so awful in the long run. I hope Pentax prices their upcoming lenses aggressively, but the 18-270 was not a good sign.
05-02-2013, 06:32 AM   #133
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
Another thing to note is that most of the new products released since Ricoh took over have been very competitively priced. I'm thinking about the K30, K-5 II, Q10, GR.
Good point. The GR is so close in price to the DA15 and DA21 that I'm wondering if the GR is a better buy than one of those lenses (which are on my wish list)
05-02-2013, 06:45 AM - 2 Likes   #134
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
I see only one thing - the prices in USA became like in the rest of the world and nothing else.
And since the prices in the rest of the world fund schools, healthcare, etc., and our prices do not, we're getting screwed.
05-02-2013, 06:57 AM   #135

QuoteOriginally posted by troenaas Quote

I'm only speculating. I don't know the answer.
1. License fee is too high per number of units sold and therfore Sigma/Tamron can't justify the fee?
2. Selling alot of Sigma/Tamron lenses only cuts into Pentax lens sales, so Pentax's strategy is to restrict the other lens makers someway?
3. I'm not trying to get off topic for this thread but the new price increases are perplexing and I wonder if Sigma/Tamron are being uninvited to the Pentax Party?
4. Other than Canikon, all the other lens mounts can't partake of all the lenses that Tokina/Sigma/Tamron make either?
5. Wild left field thought: the new Tamron SP Di VC USD 70-300mm by all accounts is an amazing lens; other than constant aperture f/4 does this destroy the Pentax 60-250mm,
$2000.00 vs. $350.00 after current rebate.
6. Another wild left field thought: if there is a FF camera coming is it going to be a new mount?