Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-03-2013, 08:22 AM   #196
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I see lots of people mention they do not buy Pentax lenses anymore. On the other hand one of the reasons many of us picked Pentax was their lenses.
Today one can easily find a good camera in any price range from different brands. And Sigma, Tamron, Samyang,... have more to offer in Canikony-land. Will someone explain to me the reason why a new dslr buyer should go Pentax?

05-03-2013, 08:28 AM   #197
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by farhagh Quote
I see lots of people mention they do not buy Pentax lenses anymore. On the other hand one of the reasons many of us picked Pentax was their lenses.
Today one can easily find a good camera in any price range from different brands. And Sigma, Tamron, Samyang,... have more to offer in Canikony-land. Will someone explain to me the reason why a new dslr buyer should go Pentax?
Hard to do frankly. Limited 3rd party support, limited lens selection both within Pentax and outside, prices are now way higher than just 2 years ago on nearly every lens, camera body prices have fallen but so have those of the big two, ongoing problems with their premier lenses that they continue to refuse to acknowledge, flash system that is 15 years out of date, but they do have great build quality, ergonomics, SR in body, intuitive menus, and are smaller.
05-03-2013, 08:32 AM   #198
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by farhagh Quote
No, most people bought Pentax because of its value.
Good and cheap. It's no cheap anymore. It is still good but with holes.
Price can't make people forget about the holes anymore ...
05-03-2013, 08:42 AM   #199
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
How is this true? Nikon makes a lot of lenses that are still in production, that are AF, which are cheaper than Pentax's APS-C offerings.
Are we forgetting that the K5IIs is at about a grand right now? It competes with the highest APS-C cameras out right now. Nobody was complaining picking up their $700 K5 that was the best for over 2 years. When their cameras come out they are now the best in what they are competing in. The K30 is better than the 7D and half as much. The big difference is that we are paying more for lenses and everyone else is paying more for cameras.

05-03-2013, 08:47 AM   #200
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TOUGEFC Quote
The Nikon works pretty good on full frame -

Produces better bokeh too, has 7 rounded blades (DAL35mm has 6 straight blades)

When I said faster I was refering to the large aperture, so yes, f/1.8 vs f/2.4 (I know what I would rather!! )

I never said its AF speed was faster, I said "it has fast quiet AF motor"
Anytime I look at your stuff I want to get whatever equipment you have! You are a bad person!

Thanks for the post - I think it demonstrates to me the drastic difference in ability that the FF cameras have to isolate subjects and further the high aperture lenses. I'm excited for the day to use all my K mounts on Pentax FF (only my Sigma 30 is not FF compatible). I truly think it will be tops! I'm too broke to afford one right now, so I can wait
05-03-2013, 09:05 AM   #201
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
Got to agree. The rate of lens releases from Pentax that are new designs or real improvements to existing ones (rather than plastic version of old designs) has been pathetic for a few years now.

I'm struggling to think of any recent ones other than the irrelevant 560mm.
This is the case in both the Nikon and Canon camps as well. For example, Canon's 17-40, 50mm f1.4, 135mm f2, all these have been around for at least a decade, and there are more. Nikon just updated their 80-400 VR lens after more than 10 yrs. First Pentax needs a pro full frame body to assure photographers have a future roadmap. Failing that they should announce that they are never moving to full frame and becoming the professionals choice of aps-c.....JMHO
05-03-2013, 09:07 AM - 2 Likes   #202

this guy hits the nail on the head. I'm sure its been posted before but it's a good rant for those that missed it. I'm not sure what the heck Pentax USA is thinking but this isn't the right route; especially considering they just RAISED prices not to long ago.

A couple of years ago, I was buying out of the US because even with shipping it was cheaper. Now it seems to have reversed, in Canada - all the lenses I checked were cheaper locally.

05-03-2013, 09:14 AM - 1 Like   #203
Veteran Member

Pentax is probably trying to increase 3rd party support for K-mount. If Pentax branded lenses are too cheap, then the 3rd party lens makers know they can't make any money. Sigma glass is every bit as good as anything Pentax had produced in recent years.

I didn't start using Pentax because of the lenses. I really liked the K-7 size/controls/features and I like the K-5 even more. Sigma made the lenses that I needed in K-mount, so the Pentax lenses were pretty much irrelevant.
05-03-2013, 09:29 AM   #204
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JenniferLeigh Quote
Pentax USA Marketing SUCKS! - YouTube this guy hits the nail on the head. I'm sure its been posted before but it's a good rant for those that missed it. I'm not sure what the heck Pentax USA is thinking but this isn't the right route; especially considering they just RAISED prices not to long ago.

A couple of years ago, I was buying out of the US because even with shipping it was cheaper. Now it seems to have reversed, in Canada - all the lenses I checked were cheaper locally.
Still love that video. Said everything I thought at the time and am thinking again with Pentax's lens pricing.
05-03-2013, 09:43 AM   #205
Pentaxian

Pentax USA Marketing SUCKS! - YouTube this guy hits the nail on the head ...
Thanks for the link ... it's a good rant, J
05-03-2013, 09:53 AM   #206
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Pentax USA Marketing SUCKS! - YouTube this guy hits the nail on the head.
Ed Thomas is so full of common business sense. I couldn't have said it better. Pentax really look like they're trying to go out of business with these wacko prices on very old lenses.

Last edited by Gray; 05-03-2013 at 10:07 AM.
05-03-2013, 09:57 AM   #207
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Franky2step Quote
the professionals choice of aps-c.....JMHO
I don't see any good reason for a pro to use APS-C, but I'm guessing the most commonly cited reason would be the pre-cropping of telephoto-type pics.

Those pics usually require critical autofocus.

It'd be quicker and more realistic IMO to claim Pentax was a 'landscape/portrait' pro's choice, both because they already have the 645D, and because it's easier IMO to put a new sensor in a camera than it is to develop better AF algorithms.
05-03-2013, 10:08 AM   #208
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by zbrueningsen Quote
Are we forgetting that the K5IIs is at about a grand right now? It competes with the highest APS-C cameras out right now. Nobody was complaining picking up their $700 K5 that was the best for over 2 years. When their cameras come out they are now the best in what they are competing in. The K30 is better than the 7D and half as much. The big difference is that we are paying more for lenses and everyone else is paying more for cameras.
You said yourself:
QuoteOriginally posted by zbrueningsen Quote
We are FF away from the best system in the world for cost ratio.
By definition, a FF system includes a full frame camera.
I think we can all agree a Pentax FF will not be cheaper than K5IIs. It may be cheaper than a D600, but I would be surprised if it is less than $2000.
Check out the prices of the Nikon 85mm f1.8, Nikon 50mm f1.8, and the Nikon 35mm f2, all full frame, autofocus lenses + D600.
Pentax right now cannot compete with the price of those 3 lenses, unless you buy used (which pentax doesnt get a penny for) and you go manual focus.
05-03-2013, 10:18 AM   #209
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The only way to look at the prices is compare and contrast:

The Nikkor 55-300 is exactly the same as the now upped Pentax 55-300 @ $396. No quibbling about VR and minor f-stop differences.

Now, the Canon 55-250 is $230. But starting May 5, apparently Canon is coming in with price hikes, so let's see what's going on.

The Nikkor 50/1.4G is $439. Canon's is $399 but on sale for $310 right now (again with a supposed May 5 date). The Pentax FA 50/1.4 is $446.

Canon's 18-135 is $449. Nikon's 18-105 is $396. Pentax 18-135 is $496. The latter is WR while the other brands are more consumer grade lenses.

Nikon's 12-24 is $1099. Pentax is $896. Canon's 10-22 is $719 on sale.

All prices B&H $US. And no grey market "imported" lenses. Most are APS-C sized save the fast 50's.

Primes unique to Pentax are going premium priced. Most brands appear to be pricing in line. Pentax bodies are cheaper. Pentax is definitely missing lower cost alternatives in primes like at 70mm+ and below 35mm.

I think the really dubious pricing is where a Nikon D7100 with 18-105 VR lens goes for the same price as the Pentax DA 16-50 alone.

Compared to the competition, Pentax prices are not entirely out of line through major channels. In fact, it looks like Pentax is following their bigger bretheren. The whole strategy is erratic, however because across models and bundles at near-equivalent FL the Pentax models are not consistent.

This is certainly NOT the pricing strategy of a company looking to gain market share (or even hold it). I'd think that Pentax may want to tweak their prices to be slightly less than their neighbours. It doesn't take much to get the value brand label back.

It is simply not possible to compare prices with the past. Sorry, not in a global supply chain economy. Switching brands won't do you any good either. Olympus and Sony and Fuji prices are also sky-high right now.

Me personally, I'm not buying at these prices...from anyone. The hobby is getting too expensive so I'll stick with what I've got and maybe think about the Ricoh GR, which is well-priced.
05-03-2013, 10:37 AM   #210
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
The Nikkor 50/1.4G is $439. Canon's is $399 but on sale for $310 right now (again with a supposed May 5 date). The Pentax FA 50/1.4 is $446.
DA55mm is a better comparison to those two lenses in my opinion, and costs twice as much - $800 = $400 more.

QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
Nikon's 12-24 is $1099. Pentax is $896. Canon's 10-22 is $719 on sale.
The Tokina is a better comparison to the Pentax and costs $400. Pentax is over twice as much = $500 more.

With only two lenses, it's already 'free' to switch to Nikon... free camera. Plus I'd get to keep whatever I could sell my K-5 for.